Explorer Code P0016 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Code P0016

I too have experienced P0016. (2015 3.5 Ecoboost, 60K miles) Scanner says "Bank 1 - A. Cam sensor. Everywhere I read there are four cam sensors. Also have read bank one is next to radiator and other have said it is next to the firewall. As I look at the back of the engine, I only see one cam sensor on each head. Can you shed some light on this?

thanks,

Mike
Did you see post #2 Mike?

Peter

I too have experienced P0016. (2015 3.5 Ecoboost, 60K miles) Scanner says "Bank 1 - A. Cam sensor. Everywhere I read there are four cam sensors. Also have read bank one is next to radiator and other have said it is next to the firewall. As I look at the back of the engine, I only see one cam sensor on each head. Can you shed some light on this?

thanks,

Mike

There are only 2 cam position sensors on back of engine ( driver side near Bell housing)

1 for each cylinder head

My wife's daily popped the dreaded P0016 code last night. It is a 2015 sport and has 58,500 miles. I cleared it and it was back again this AM. Thanks to some research from this forum, I quickly learned this is likely NOT a sensor and more likely to be a stretched timing chain. I have the cold start "rattle" as well.

I made the first available appointment with my only local dealer which is not until next week. Hoping (based on the information from here) that the entirety of repairs will be covered under the power train warranty.

A few questions:

1. The F150s have a TSB for this. Is there one for the explorers?

2. If no TSB do i have leverage to ensure they do the tensioners and phasers as well? I would hope they do, but i am new to this area and have no rapport with the local dealer.

3. I saw the recommendation to do the water pump as well. Thats great advice, and I will ask to pay out of pocket if necessary to ensure it gets done while everything is apart.

4. Any other recommendations? I am a little concerned they just throw a new cam sensor in, but it appears if the chain is stretched the CEL should return quickly even with a new sensor.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks to all for the help and support.
I am having the same issue P0016 codeveriable camshaft soleniod . I was getting a low oil pressure light intermittently then it stopped a couple of days later the check engine light came on and i had the P0016 code I am suspecting the solenoid was stuck which caused the low oil pressure. I checked oil levels and it checked out good. Any ideas would be great. I am thinking about changing the veriable camshaft soleniod to see if that fixs the issue. I have a 2015 Exlporer sport 3.5L eco boost.

Back