Explorer Code P0016 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Code P0016

More than likely the chain is stretched or the guides are worn. If you do take it apart, change the water pump while you're in there. Maybe even the oil pump too (they seem to wear down around 100k)

It could also be a bad phaser but usually those rattle and would be more noticeable

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have the code p0016 as mentioned on here and have read a lot of what everyone is saying they are experiencing when that code shows up. I have a 16 explorer platinum and knock on wood I don't have any issues period, i.e, none when cold, hot, freeway, around town, starting or idling. I did have the camshaft sensor bank A or 1 changed and the code cam right back. My question is; who else has had the code come up and not have any issues to speak of? For this code what is the best solution to fix this?

I called Ford corp and they had no idea or were playing dumb and had to call 4 different dealers locally to find one that knew of this. They quoted me at 10.3 hours, parts and labor for a timing chain job was just a lil over 2k. I am still in somewhat of a shock bc the car has 76k miles and potentially this engine needs this kind of work already.

I am having this exact same issue, but i am having a really hard time finding the location of this sensor.

Hello everyone so I just purchased a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport with the ecoboost that has about 70,000 miles and a P0016 code just popped up, I tried replacing the cam sensor closest to the firewall and also did oil change using motorcraft oil filter and mobil 1 synthetic oil, cleared the code and it comes right back on at idle or any other driving condition very quickly like within 10 minutes. Does anyone have any luck fixing this problem? Would changing the vvt solenoid valve work or is this for sure going to be a problem with the stretched timing chain?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature. Good luck and please report back as to the 'fix'. Thanks.

Peter

Its important to understand what is happening. With VCT technology, the cam phaser can adjust for timing chain stretch etc. its all controlled using oil pressure so its possible the phaser is bad (not holding pressure). Basically the timing is off so much that the phaser is unable to adjust and keep timing in spec and throwing the code.

If you have ForScan you can monitor the cam timing position. I think there are videos on how to do this on YouTube.

I can almost assure this will require taking the timing cover off which is a 10 hour job itself.

Its important to understand what is happening. With VCT technology, the cam phaser can adjust for timing chain stretch etc. its all controlled using oil pressure so its possible the phaser is bad (not holding pressure). Basically the timing is off so much that the phaser is unable to adjust and keep timing in spec and throwing the code.

If you have ForScan you can monitor the cam timing position. I think there are videos on how to do this on YouTube.

I can almost assure this will require taking the timing cover off which is a 10 hour job itself.
Okay so next question. Is there a kit from Ford that can be purchased that gives you all the parts needed including guide and maybe water pump? I found one on partsgeek.com made by cloyes. Is that one okay or should I stick with motorcraft?

Any further diagnostics run? What is the service history of the car? Before you buy parts i would dig deeper.

The Cloyes kit is good. Thats what I used.

Get a motorcraft water pump

Rockauto has good deals on timing kits

First start below 32 and got a P0016 code. The truck is fairly new to us with 107,000 miles now, i've been using mercon oil and filter around every 3000 miles. The engine seems to run smooth. I cleared the code and started it again and it didn't come back right away. What is the likely hood the timing chain is actually failing. Waiting to see if the code comes back and probably start changing sensors at that point.

Omg after seeing this thread, do explorers live past 100k miles without an overhaul

They do. Mine reached 130k before the water pump started dripping. Had zero issues other than that.

You could have a bad VCT solenoid. Its basically saying the ECU cannot adjust enough based on the signal its receiving.

Then its again its also possible one of actuators is no longer holding pressure. Any noise or rattle on cold start?

Omg after seeing this thread, do explorers live past 100k miles without an overhaul

They do. Mine reached 130k before the water pump started dripping. Had zero issues other than that.

You could have a bad VCT solenoid. Its basically saying the ECU cannot adjust enough based on the signal its receiving.

Then its again its also possible one of actuators is no longer holding pressure. Any noise or rattle on cold start?
I commend the guys that do that kind of work on their own I don't know the time or energy for that anymore. I was looking for a loose poll on timing chain failures being a weak point. I actually did have some brief startup noise for a couple weeks maybe, seems to have gone away. Since I cleared the code it hasn't come back so maybe a fluke

For those getting the code and the engine seems to otherwise be running okay, if you're running a motorcraft oil filter change this out. I always thought my engine was clicky often waiting at idle I'd even have to turn the radio up. Well after a 2nd P0016 code decided to do an oil change since it was coming up on 3,000 miles and since the issue might be oil related I got a K&N filter and just supertech synthetic oil, I'd been using motorcraft filters and mercon oil. The ticking sound is completely gone and the engine is substantially quieter.

So went about a month without the code and it came back. Thinking about changing the cam sensor myself since I haven't had time to take it anywhere, 2 kids playing hockey. Anyone familiar with changing the sensor on 2015 if it would be difficult to get to.

I can almost assure you its not the sensors and is more than likely a stretched chain or worn guide etc. That code is more common than a leaky water pump I'm just saying...

The cam position sensor is on the back of each cylinder head facing toward driver side. They are buried but visible if you look for them.

The tsb for the timing chain only goes to 2014 and this is a 2015, anyways guess I'll start calling the dealer.

Don't replace the sensor, it's working fine if p0016 is your only code. I'd swap solenoid first to see as it's the easiest possible solution. If that doesn't work I'd do the phaser, water pump and timing chain stuff. You'll be able to see if you've got a broken guide when you pop the valve cover off to do the solenoid.

You were right on the solenoid. I took it back to the Toyota dealership we bought it from and they replaced the vvt solenoid. This may have been on the way out for a while now because she's spunkier now. We had some sort of warranty plan with the dealership and they covered all but $250.

Good to hear you got it right! $250 is a good deal on that repair. Been even better if they replaced everything but they're not in the business to loose money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here’s an update:
changed out the bank 1 sensor about a week ago and no codes came back yet. The vehicle is still running normal so still waiting to see what happens.
I too have experienced P0016. (2015 3.5 Ecoboost, 60K miles) Scanner says "Bank 1 - A. Cam sensor. Everywhere I read there are four cam sensors. Also have read bank one is next to radiator and other have said it is next to the firewall. As I look at the back of the engine, I only see one cam sensor on each head. Can you shed some light on this?

thanks,

Mike

Back