Explorer didn't turn off after walking away with key fob | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer didn't turn off after walking away with key fob

mad_dog97

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 EB
I've got a 2012 Limited and had something weird happen to me yesterday.

In my own stupidity, I left the car running after pulling into my parking spot at work. Four hours later I go out for lunch and I realize that it's still running, but the key fob is in my pocket.

Isn't the vehicle supposed to turn off after a certain amount of time with the key outside of range? I did not lock the vehicle (again my own stupidity here), but would that make a difference?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got a 2012 Limited and had something weird happen to me yesterday.

In my own stupidity, I left the car running after pulling into my parking spot at work. Four hours later I go out for lunch and I realize that it's still running, but the key fob is in my pocket.

Isn't the vehicle supposed to turn off after a certain amount of time with the key outside of range? I did not lock the vehicle (again my own stupidity here), but would that make a difference?

No, it will not turn off after a certain amount of time. Starting on the late '13 models the horn will chirp twice if you leave the vehicle running and walk away with the fob.

Thanks Riley . . . don't know why I thought it would turn off.

Remote start times out after 10-15 mins depending on how long you set it for, but the car won't turn itself off with the fob not in the car. I've actually driven my fathers '13 Limited without the fob in the car lol.

I've actually driven my fathers '13 Limited without the fob in the car lol.

Good thing you didn't shut it off lol.

No, it will not turn off after a certain amount of time. Starting on the late '13 models the horn will chirp twice if you leave the vehicle running and walk away with the fob.
Found out my 2014 MKT has auto engine shutdown when left idling. Haven't been able to find out the time duration. Before it shuts off, a 30 second timer pops up during which time you can reset it. Perhaps this is something that will be available on the 2016 Explorer.

Peter

Found out my 2014 MKT has auto engine shutdown when left idling. Haven't been able to find out the time duration. Before it shuts off, a 30 second timer pops up during which time you can reset it. Perhaps this is something that will be available on the 2016 Explorer.

Peter

It should be a 5 min idle shut down.

Back