key Fob and vehical theft question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

key Fob and vehical theft question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMack2300

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
just had a question on what would happen...

say the X Sport is running and i run into a store with my key fob...
can someone hop in the X Sport and just drive off? or will the car die because no key fob???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've always wondered about this.
i usually keep my car running, take the key with me, and just lock the doors. just did that the other day when i walked into the bank. comes in very handy with the cold weather and not having to turn everything back on.

but id like to know if someone did manage to get in and drive my car, how far can they go? can they even put the car in drive??

i've always wondered about this.
i usually keep my car running, take the key with me, and just lock the doors. just did that the other day when i walked into the bank. comes in very handy with the cold weather and not having to turn everything back on.

but id like to know if someone did manage to get in and drive my car, how far can they go? can they even put the car in drive??

Im sure we will find that answer out here pretty soon. A valet guy was abke to drive my xsport off and i had the fob. I thought this did not make sense...

Im sure we will find that answer out here pretty soon. A valet guy was abke to drive my xsport off and i had the fob. I thought this did not make sense...

woahhh. really ???? how was he able to get your car back to you then?
I think i saw in the touchscreen menu, that there is a valet mode in there?? i cant really remember since it was over a month ago when i was playing with the menu. did you use that option?

When I picked up my Ex I asked the sales guy this exact question. He said it would continue to drive normally until it was shut off, then you would need the fob to start it again.

I haven't tried it to confirm, but that's what I've been told. It would certainly be dangerous if it just died on the road, so it kinda makes sense.

When I picked up my Ex I asked the sales guy this exact question. He said it would continue to drive normally until it was shut off, then you would need the fob to start it again.

I haven't tried it to confirm, but that's what I've been told. It would certainly be dangerous if it just died on the road, so it kinda makes sense.

The car should not go into drive without a fob present.

As you said, only that when you turn off the engine you have a 20 second period to restart the car without the key.

From the owners manual:

Fast restart feature: The fast restart feature allows you to re-start
your vehicle within 20 seconds of switching the vehicle off, if a valid IA
key is not present when the vehicle is switched off. When you switch
your vehicle off without an IA key in the passenger compartment or
trunk, the message RESTART NOW OR KEY IS NEEDED will be
displayed in the message center. You can re-start the vehicle (by
applying the brake pedal and pressing the START/STOP button) for up
to 20 seconds, even though the IA key is not present. After 20 seconds
have expired, you can no longer start your vehicle without the IA key
present inside the vehicle.

just had a question on what would happen...

say the X Sport is running and i run into a store with my key fob...
can someone hop in the X Sport and just drive off? or will the car die because no key fob???
Unless you lock the car via the Securicode keypad, the answer is YES. Anyone can jump in and drive it away. You would be warned, however, because the horn would beep twice alerting you so that you have enough time to wave goodbye!

Peter

Unless you lock the car via the Securicode keypad, the answer is YES. Anyone can jump in and drive it away. You would be warned, however, because the horn would beep twice alerting you so that you have enough time to wave goodbye!

Peter

Doesnt surprise me peterk9 thinks this is a laughing matter with no serious concern for the posters. Anyways.... Can we get some Ford people here on this site to see if there is a update of some sort like we get for the sync systems to change this so the car will not drive period without a key fob inside the car?
Peterk9 wanna help? Get the Ford reps on this site involved with this thread and see if we can get it changed... Thank You Sir.

From the owners manual:

Ah, when all else fails, RTFM.

Doesnt surprise me peterk9 thinks this is a laughing matter...

Made me laugh.

Can we get some Ford people here on this site to see if there is a update of some sort like we get for the sync systems to change this so the car will not drive period without a key fob inside the car?
Peterk9 wanna help? Get the Ford reps on this site involved with this thread and see if we can get it changed... Thank You Sir.

I'd rather not! The key detection isn't perfect and I'd rather be able to drive and restart than be stuck.

If you don't want it to be able to drive off you have the option of shutting it off. If you're trying to warm it up, just restart it with the remote after you get out, then it can't be driven away.

Ah, when all else fails, RTFM.

Made me laugh.

I'd rather not! The key detection isn't perfect and I'd rather be able to drive and restart than be stuck.

If you don't want it to be able to drive off you have the option of shutting it off. If you're trying to warm it up, just restart it with the remote after you get out, then it can't be driven away.

i love this idea. however, it be nice to be able to be in the car and have a button in the menu to set the car in remote start mode. rather than having to turn it off, then remote start it.

Doesnt surprise me peterk9 thinks this is a laughing matter with no serious concern for the posters. Anyways.... Can we get some Ford people here on this site to see if there is a update of some sort like we get for the sync systems to change this so the car will not drive period without a key fob inside the car?

Lighten up, Francis. Seems like a simple fix to me. Don't leave the vehicle running while unattended. If you want to leave it running for whatever reason, shut it off, get out and close the door, then remote start it with the key fob.

....Peterk9 wanna help? Get the Ford reps on this site involved with this thread and see if we can get it changed... Thank You Sir.
As has been mentioned here from time to time, the Ford reps on this forum do not interact with Ford techs or engineers. They are the 'go between' the customer and the area customer service managers. The only way I know of, and that has been confirmed by the reps, to pass along ideas to Ford is to do it using the Ford Social site. The link is in the 'Stickies' section;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401892

Peter

Am I missing something? Why can't you lock the doors with it running, handle your business, unlock as you approach, get in and drive off?

Or do you just not want to lock the doors and expect the car to entirely handle it's own security?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

Am I missing something? Why can't you lock the doors with it running, handle your business, unlock as you approach, get in and drive off?

Or do you just not want to lock the doors and expect the car to entirely handle it's own security?

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Forum Runner

If you lock the car and leave it running, simply breaking a window would give access to opening the door & driving off without any alarm going off. I think this is what the OP is concerned about.

Note: This scenario is exactly the same as leaving the key in ignition in a vehicle with a normal (key) ignition.

Here's my thought...this is a laughing matter. If anyone leaves their car running and unlocked when they park and go anywhere, they deserve to have it stolen, stripped and never heard from again. Maybe the next time they'll think twice when doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here's my thought...this is a laughing matter. If anyone leaves their car running and unlocked when they park and go anywhere, they deserve to have it stolen, stripped and never heard from again. Maybe the next time they'll think twice when doing that.

:thumbsup:...exactly....nothing but pure laziness...

Last edited by a moderator:

When I had a viper remote start in my old car, if you tried to take it out of park without the key in the ignition, it would turn off. Would be nice if that would work the same way.

Here's my thought...this is a laughing matter. If anyone is stupid enough to leave their car running and unlocked when they park and go anywhere, they deserve to have it stolen, stripped and never heard from again. Maybe the next time they'll think twice when doing that.

Agreed. How is this ANY different than leaving your older car running with the key in the ignition? It isn't. If your car is stolen it is completely your fault.

My wife and I often carpool downtown to work, and a few times I've not realized I never grabbed my key off the hook - but the car detected the key in her purse (with her in the passenger seat). When I dropoped her off, the car would alert. Not once after her stepping out, did she not turn around and go "you dummy" and hand me her key for the day. If someone steals your car while its running, its not Ford's fault.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I had a viper remote start in my old car, if you tried to take it out of park without the key in the ignition, it would turn off. Would be nice if that would work the same way.

I totally agree. There is no reason for this to not ne set up like that. No fob in car no putting the car in drive then. Just seems smart to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back