XLT to ST is it worth it? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XLT to ST is it worth it?

Peter - It works the same in Canada with Petro Canada as it does in the States with Top Tier ® graded fuels.

Below is something that should look familiar to you; A Petro Canada Gas Pump.

The Green Beakers = Amount of detergent package (Tactrol) added to each grade of fuel Petro Canada offers.
Thanks Dave. That must have been taken some time ago judging by the price/litre. :D
I use the 91 and when I filled up last on May 5th, it was $2.079/L:(

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why with premium fuel? I have an ST and I never put in premium fuel. 87 regular is what ST needs.
The fuel cost per mile is lower with 93 than with 87. My Escape was fed 93 (or as close as we could get) exclusively. The fuel cost per mile was consistently better with 93 - easily enough to offset the additional cost/gallon.

The horsepower difference is noticeable and remarkable. Ford publishes their horsepower ratings using 93, 87 takes off 20% or more from the pony production.

The fuel cost per mile is lower with 93 than with 87. My Escape was fed 93 (or as close as we could get) exclusively. The fuel cost per mile was consistently better with 93 - easily enough to offset the additional cost/gallon.
That might be true in the U.S. Mike, but definitely not here. I posted several times that using 91 had very little effect on mileage and that it wasn't worth the cost if mileage was the main criteria for using it. The difference here between 87 and 91 is about $1/gal. so around $15 per fill-up.

Peter

The horsepower difference is noticeable and remarkable. Ford publishes their horsepower ratings using 93, 87 takes off 20% or more from the pony production.
Mike - I have to ask - what method did you use when testing this hypothesis?
You said that your Escape was fed 93 exclusively - so when did you establish a base line with 87 for the comparison? Initially? Periodically? How many tanks of fuel were involved?
If you only ran 93 - as you said - then you really have nothing to compare to. Maybe you cut your post short for brevity but it appears that you only ever ran 93 so I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from.

Mike - I have to ask - what method did you use when testing this hypothesis?
You said that your Escape was fed 93 exclusively - so when did you establish a base line with 87 for the comparison? Initially? Periodically? How many tanks of fuel were involved?
If you only ran 93 - as you said - then you really have nothing to compare to. Maybe you cut your post short for brevity but it appears that you only ever ran 93 so I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from.
My wife drove my Escape on a road trip of 1,800 miles. She grumped about putting "High-test" in it, so I had her try two tanks of mid-grade. To our surprise, the MPG dropped so much the "savings" was offset by the cost-per-mile. I forget the exact numbers, but 93 went farther on a tank than 87, easily offsetting the "extra" cost. The rest of the trip was done with 93 (or 91 where there was no 93). The fuel-cost-per-mile was much better with the higher-octane fuel. The extra power had value, too.

My wife considers a car just a "refrigerator on wheels" (just an appliance). She noticed right away her cost was cheaper with the "more expensive" fuel. The return trip (with me at the helm) was even better. Our best tank was nearly 40% better than anything on the outbound leg. Best tank: 29.3 mpg, average nearly 25 mpg. That was exclusively on the highest available octane rating. The return trip needed one fewer tank to get us home.

Since higher octane produces more power (when the computer can deal with it) and it takes nearly a fixed number of ponies to offset all the barriers to power, the engine uses less fuel to produce the same result. If the motor gives 300 hp on 93 and 240 on 87, it's working more easily when it can maintain desired speed on less fuel-per-mile.

My wife drove my Escape on a road trip of 1,800 miles. She grumped about putting "High-test" in it, so I had her try two tanks of mid-grade. To our surprise, the MPG dropped so much the "savings" was offset by the cost-per-mile. I forget the exact numbers, but 93 went farther on a tank than 87, easily offsetting the "extra" cost. The rest of the trip was done with 93 (or 91 where there was no 93). The fuel-cost-per-mile was much better with the higher-octane fuel. The extra power had value, too.

My wife considers a car just a "refrigerator on wheels" (just an appliance). She noticed right away her cost was cheaper with the "more expensive" fuel. The return trip (with me at the helm) was even better. Our best tank was nearly 40% better than anything on the outbound leg. Best tank: 29.3 mpg, average nearly 25 mpg. That was exclusively on the highest available octane rating. The return trip needed one fewer tank to get us home.

Since higher octane produces more power (when the computer can deal with it) and it takes nearly a fixed number of ponies to offset all the barriers to power, the engine uses less fuel to produce the same result. If the motor gives 300 hp on 93 and 240 on 87, it's working more easily when it can maintain desired speed on less fuel-per-mile.
And that's exactly what I expected to hear.

Granted, it ain't "scientific", but seems a fair test. I expected the higher altitude to affect the mileage, but when she went back to premium the benefit returned.

Get what you want but the Sport Appearance Package has all the appearance of the ST. Plus honestly I like the carbon grey painted pieces than black anyway. Get the ST if you want but you are probably not going to like the 17-18 mpgs you are going to get and filling up with premium fuel sucks too.
Late to the thread but couldnt agree more. We bought the XLT with Sport appearance package and it looks better IMHO than the ST

Hello, I currently have a 2020 xlt with the base cloth seat package. I’ve been eyeing a 2021-22 red ST with the 21” rims package. My question is, do people feel the ipgrade is worth it? Thank you
Not if you're concerned about gas mileage or paying for an extra 100HP.
sucks more gas but goes faster.. The regular version XLT is fast enough for me ..

Late to the thread but couldnt agree more. We bought the XLT with Sport appearance package and it looks better IMHO than the ST
i actually prefer the plainer look of my xlt with no appearance package. one thing i dont like about the st is the grill or larger wheels. my favorite is the timberline look wise.

i actually prefer the plainer look of my xlt with no appearance package. one thing i dont like about the st is the grill or larger wheels. my favorite is the timberline look wise.
This is why Ford has smartly offered an Explorer for literally every taste, purpose and budget. I bought mine in 2019 because the ST was my favorite one but if I had to do it now I'd purchase a King Ranch for the amazingly unique interior.

I drove both before deciding on the ST. IMO the difference is night and day. I like the way the ST handles, and the way the transmission shifts. The XLT was way too softly sprung for my taste.

This is why Ford has smartly offered an Explorer for literally every taste, purpose and budget. I bought mine in 2019 because the ST was my favorite one but if I had to do it now I'd purchase a King Ranch for the amazingly unique interior.
if i could get a timberline with the st engine that would be my choice if money wasnt a problem lol

if i could get a timberline with the st engine that would be my choice if money wasnt a problem lol
If money isn't a problem then you can buy a Timberline and a crate engine and do the swap - of course, money is always a problem.
I was going to say that you will never see a Timberline with the ST engine because it was built for a different purpose and it just doesn't have the tires and the handling characteristics of the ST. You could get in trouble a lot quicker with the suspension tune and off road tires on the Timberline if you up the horsepower to 400+.
Having said that - I've reminded myself of the Raptor F150. So I'm sure they are already thinking about it...

Maybe ford should build a timberline raptor, drop in the 2.7 ecoboost and up it to around 350 hp, lift it higher than a regular timberline and put on some 33's and change the gearing to a 4.10.

If money isn't a problem then you can buy a Timberline and a crate engine and do the swap - of course, money is always a problem.
I was going to say that you will never see a Timberline with the ST engine because it was built for a different purpose and it just doesn't have the tires and the handling characteristics of the ST. You could get in trouble a lot quicker with the suspension tune and off road tires on the Timberline if you up the horsepower to 400+.
Having said that - I've reminded myself of the Raptor F150. So I'm sure they are already thinking about it...

i mean there are plenty of offroad style trucks making 500 hp plus hp besides the raptor so yeah the timberline with the st engine would be great for the people that want it. its not like you have to drive it like you are on a road course. i would think it would take more than just a crate engine the way new cars are wired up. i miss the days when you could get the big engine in the cheap version. like when you could get a 409 in a biscayne back in the 60s.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, I currently have a 2020 xlt with the base cloth seat package. I’ve been eyeing a 2021-22 red ST with the 21” rims package. My question is, do people feel the ipgrade is worth it? Thank you
I own a 2020 ST...The 21" wheels are nice for the road but since I go off roading alot I wish I had gone with 20"...You cannot get tires for off road in 21"...And I really wanted to put some nice Goodyear Wranglers on My ST...So consider that when specing out your ST...

Back