Explorer to Aviator front brake upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer to Aviator front brake upgrade

Due to the massive snow storm today, I found some time to write up the How-to for converting a 2002-2005 Ford Explorer to 2003-2005 Lincoln Aviator Front Brakes.

Send a message to the Admin. They will set you up with a premium account, so you can host all of the photos on the forum. Toss the write-up into its own post and they will sticky it up top for everyone as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very nice write-up!

Benjam :D

I agree, this should be a sticky, but, if so, clean it up a bit. Remove any comments not directly pertaining to the install. Valid questions and answers are good, but comment like "nice write up" and such, including this one should be deleted.
Look at the BWM thread. 26 pages and 24 are probably crap. Really makes it hard when all you want is the info to seal the deal.
Wish I hadn't just put on new pads and rotors already. Think I'll pick a couple knuckels from the wreckers though, just for the next round.

Very nice write up, are you going to try and do the rear swap in the future?

Don't think I missed it, but you didn't swap out brake lines. The Aviator and Explorer had different lines from what I can tell. Any issues related to this?

Very nice write up, are you going to try and do the rear swap in the future?

No plans in the future until I need to do rear wheel bearings. The rears require aviator rotors and aviator rear knuckles. You would follow the explorer rear wheel bearing write up and substitute the aviator knuckle. Most of your braking is done with the front brakes so I just focused on those.

FYI: the front brake line is a different part number but works perfect so I just reused the explorer brake line.

Send a message to the Admin. They will set you up with a premium account, so you can host all of the photos on the forum. Toss the write-up into its own post and they will sticky it up top for everyone as well.

Sorry dumb question: how do you send a message to the admin. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sorry dumb question: how do you send a message to the admin. Thanks in advance for the help.

Just send a message to one of the moderators or Rick, they can help you out. To do this just find one of there names in a thread left click on it, click the send private message button. Tell them why you are messaging and all that jazz.

Just picked up some spindles off a 2005 aviator today. Hope they are okay with my 04 Explorer. Anyway, not doing anything now as I'd just did a complete brake job a few months ago. But my wife's 05, will be due next and will most likely get the set up off my 04.
S&W Auto in Lithonia Georgia has an awesome selection and prices for anyone in the area. $20 ea on the spindles.

3A93B60D-81D0-4A7B-B349-A82B1E51BEB1_zpsf98toltz.jpg

I got my aviator swap done today. I found out the difference on the brake hoses. The mounting tab to the frame is in a different spot, and the diameter of the hose is a little larger. Everything else is the same. I swapped front and rear knuckles, so now I am full aviator. The are a big improvement over the explorer stuff, plus they look better behind my mustang gt wheels. Now I just need to paint the wheels again and it will look even better. Everything is basically a bolt on, I don't know why I waited so long.

Ordered all my parts today along with new ball joints, tie rods and wheel bearings. New front end here we go!

got my swap all done, in for an alignment Tuesday and it will be ready to go! thanks for the how too, I ran into a few stubborn ball joints and a few other small hi-cups that slowed me down but now have a complete new front end.

for those wondering the caliper bolts are 14mm X 45mm 2.0 thread pitch

got my swap all done, in for an alignment Tuesday and it will be ready to go! thanks for the how too, I ran into a few stubborn ball joints and a few other small hi-cups that slowed me down but now have a complete new front end.

for those wondering the caliper bolts are 14mm X 45mm 2.0 thread pitch

Your Welcome! Glad I could help. Thanks for getting the bolt size, I will add that to the write up.

I swapped front and rear knuckles, so now I am full aviator.

Do you have a parts list for the rear? Is it just a knuckle and rotor swap?

Yep, knuckle and rotor. The caliper is the same.

You do have to make sure you have the updated toe links in the back. The early 2002 have a smaller diameter outer tie rod where it goes into the knuckle. The latter explorers and all aviators are the same. Just depends on what year explorer you are starting with.

So the Aviator rear rotor is bigger than the Explorer's is that correct?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just wondering if there is any height difference between our knuckles and the aviator ones. out of curiosity

Back