Explorer w/ 2.3L | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer w/ 2.3L

I've had my Aviator for 16 months now and haven't had any issues. Granted I'm a low mileage driver who always leases but the vehicle has been excellent.
It is difficult to judge reliability on a new vehicle platform that hasn't been out for much more than 2 years. JD Power gives it a predicted rating of 3.5 stars.
For now, a slightly above average reliability rating for the Lincoln Aviator might be satisfactory. It might, in fact, be right in line with others in its class. We found three-star averages for reliability, from J.D. Power for 2019 models of Audi Q7, Infinity QX60, and Lexus RX.
The jury still might be out on overall reliability for the 2020 Lincoln Aviator for now. There are plenty of expert reviews praising the redesign. But, it looks like there are a few manufacturing concerns for the latest model, too, suggesting a quality control issue.
If you’re considering adding an Aviator to your family fleet of vehicles, be educated on the latest expert recommendations before you buy. You will no doubt be impressed with what the Lincoln Aviator has to offer.

How Reliable Is the Lincoln Aviator? | MotorBiscuit

Peter
Consumer Reports - Jan 2021 - Page 55 - redesigned Explorer & Escape so bad they are pulling down entire Ford Brand - new Corsair & Aviator so bad they have TANKED Lincoln Reliability stats.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm one of those guys that keeps a vehicle until it is no longer economically repairable. 10, 15 years or so.
This vehicle is the first GDI engine for me and it took me by surprise. I'd heard rumours that piqued my interest, so I started studying it a few weeks ago. I felt my heart sink when I fully understood what may be in store for me. BTW, Ford isn't the only manufacturer with the problem.

I started my career on big old supercharged radial aero engines with dual downdraft, fuel injected Bendix Stromberg PD12K18 carburetors. Never in four decades had I heard of, or seen gunk on the back of intake valves. Exhaust valves? Yes, sometimes. But never intake valves.
Never seen it in any of my cars either.

The problem is that the injectors are spraying the fuel directly into the combustion chamber, bypassing the valves altogether. Most folks don't understand the effect of never having a spray of cold, clean fuel washing the back of intake valves. That includes many back yard mechanics. That's ok. I never thought about it either until I looked into it.

No amount of babying, or thrashing about for that matter will address the intake valve problem on GDI engines.
There are cleaning methods, including disassembly of the intake/cyl head, and mechanical removal/walnut blasting of the deposits. There are also chemical/POL products that may...MAY mitigate future problems. We'll see as time passes.

Some of Ford's engines now have a dual injection system incorporating GDI and port fuel injection due to the issue. But the 2.3L isn't one of them. My hope is that the 2.3L wasn't included in the upgrade program because, by some fluke, it didn't present with the problem. Fingers crossed.
You are a person after my own heart... I reluctantly said goodbye to my '97 5.0 XLT this time last year... 270,000m, still had a really strong heartbeat. Just succumbed to yet more, major frame rail rust issues. Always had Mobil 1 from new... only ever let me down when non-serviceable parts seized-up, and when the transfer case expired. Sold her to a gear-head who was looking for a swap-out to convert his Ranger to the 5.0 setup...

Consumer Reports - Jan 2021 - Page 55 - redesigned Explorer & Escape so bad they are pulling down entire Ford Brand - new Corsair & Aviator so bad they have TANKED Lincoln Reliability stats.
As a CR subscriber, I've read that. That still doesn't change JD Powers' findings as they usually work closely with CR. It also doesn't change my opinion of my Aviator. :)

Peter

As a CR subscriber, I've read that. That still doesn't change JD Powers' findings as they usually work closely with CR. It also doesn't change my opinion of my Aviator. :)

Peter

You all have to realize that for the past year Ford has been building ventilators in response to a pandemic. There quality has suffered as they have tried to continue with their planned product launches. I love Ford and don't take these issues as long term or of a magnitude which would make me not want to buy their products. The quality will come up as they continue to bring materials and resources back online.

Hello, everyone. I just have a question for Explorer owners with the 2.3 EcoBoost. I was wondering if the engine is a good partner with the Explorer in terms of engine noise, and overall smoothness of the engine. I have heard in some reviews that the 2.3 was a raspy, noisy engine. I was hoping this is not true in the 2020/2021 models, and one of the reasons why I'm considering the Hybrid w/ the 3.3 V6 is the reduced engine noise and overall reliability from the low stress V6. So someone, please convince me that the 2.3 is an OK engine! :)
Your history made me think of this I saw the other day when I was buying a new liftgate for my 2002 Eddie Bauer.
1612898311579.png

I haven't tried this on the Aviator to see if it works but I did on my 2017 Platinum.

Peter
I just tried it on my 2021 Explorer. it worked, with a minor change

Press and hold the right "OK" button. Start the explorer, keep holding the "OK" button. After about 5-10 seconds you will see the engineering test mode screen. I scrolled through the options using the up and down motion on the "OK" button, lots of interesting data. the AFE bias is there, but I did not adjust as I'm not even through our second tank of fuel.

TBH, I just needed something to carry all the trio's musical gear/PA equipment, and my upright bass.
It also serves as the winter beater as the '11 Mustang and '77 MGB are the fair weather rides. I traded in my beloved 2006 Jeep Commander with a measly 235 HP V8 for the Explorer. That hurt just a little.

The ST seemed to be more problematic than the XLT at the time. Not worth ordering one in.
I also liked the 18" rim with a taller sidewall tire in order to get a smoother ride. It was like day and night when I test drove the XLTs with varying rims/tires. The 18" rims with Hancook tires was a much smoother ride than whatever was on the 20" rims.

Next will be a lease though. Getting too old to be buying expensive cars.
77 MGB, huh....I am building a 1974 MGB-GT with a Ford Duratec 2.3L from a 2010 Ranger. Same basic Mazda based engine as the 2.3L Ecoboost, just without the turbo. My car weighs about 2200lbs so 180 to 220hp should be fun. My 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac v8 will pull her to shows.

I’m interested in reading that report. Can I confirm it’s the regular issue for January not the bee car guide just released? Im
Fighting to get a buyback and for transmission, electrical and a hood issue. Would love to see if that would add to my case.

I’m interested in reading that report. Can I confirm it’s the regular issue for January not the bee car guide just released? Im
Fighting to get a buyback and for transmission, electrical and a hood issue. Would love to see if that would add to my case.
Yes, it's the regular issues but there really isn't a write-up. It just shows a sort of 'graph' of various manufacturers and the quote stated is just in a small box under Ford. I doubt it would have any impact on what you are looking to do.

Peter

You can still have fuel economy and overall power efficiency as well.

Why do you think many car makers ditched V8's for smaller engines with turbos? Turbo technology has come A LONG way.

No one is doubting the power capabilities of the 2.3L, i think people are mainly concerned with noise and longevity.

The low end torque the turbo gives the 2.3L gives peace of mind because you don't have to wind the engine out every time you accelerate to keep moving. While i don't love the sound my 2.3L makes, it actually "feels" faster than my previous daily, which was a WRX. And in an actual race, the WRX would smoke a 2.3L explorer.
Not with a tune...lol

Hello, everyone. I just have a question for Explorer owners with the 2.3 EcoBoost. I was wondering if the engine is a good partner with the Explorer in terms of engine noise, and overall smoothness of the engine. I have heard in some reviews that the 2.3 was a raspy, noisy engine. I was hoping this is not true in the 2020/2021 models, and one of the reasons why I'm considering the Hybrid w/ the 3.3 V6 is the reduced engine noise and overall reliability from the low stress V6. So someone, please convince me that the 2.3 is an OK engine! :)
I would agree with most of the other comments. The 2.3 has sufficient power during acceleration or when towing. It is a bit raspy and at low speeds feels like a putt putt 1960s foreign compact. But when the pedal is down, you can feel all 300 horsepower. It is a strange feeling when climbing a hill or passing...it feels like there is always more horsepower still to come. Still, I miss the low end torque of a beefy V-6 engine. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the V-6.

As for gas mileage, mine (Limited model) is miserable. I get 14-15 MPG around town and 24-25 on the highway. Gas mileage was so bad when I first got it, I had the dealer look it over.

Not with a tune...lol

Which? The the explorer?

I don't even think a tuned 2.3 explorer would beat a stock FA20 wrx in an actual drag race.

But in the real world, my EB explorer definitely felt "faster" than my wrx. Maybe because i don't have to shift. Idk.

Which? The the explorer?

I don't even think a tuned 2.3 explorer would beat a stock FA20 wrx in an actual drag race.

But in the real world, my EB explorer definitely felt "faster" than my wrx. Maybe because i don't have to shift. Idk.
Yes the Explorer with AWD.....These 2.3 Engines have a lot of potential... look at the Ecoboost Mustangs...Stock I am with you power to weight plays a big part... I guess we have to wait and see if someone is going to modify their 2.3 Explorer to see the results right? After all it is a Suv, and I love my 2021 Explorer. How much miles do you have on yours? Any issues? Awd?

Yes the Explorer with AWD.....These 2.3 Engines have a lot of potential... look at the Ecoboost Mustangs...Stock I am with you power to weight plays a big part... I guess we have to wait and see if someone is going to modify their 2.3 Explorer to see the results right? After all it is a Suv, and I love my 2021 Explorer. How much miles do you have on yours? Any issues? Awd?

Well with EB mustangs it's different.

I don't think anyone with a 2.3 explorer has "performance" in mind. It might be a perk to have some kick, especially down low but it's not a performance SUV at all. An ST would be the performance model and even that stock vs stock against a wrx and it'll be close.

Plus idk why anyone would want to tune their 2.3 explorer and risk losing their warranty. And yes dealers will know the stock tune was changed, even if you flash back to the stock tune prior to bringing the car in for service/repair.

EDIT: i have roughly 3800 miles on my explorer. It's a commuter to work nothing more. It's basically fully loaded. AWD. It's a good SUV, not the greatest. But ok for what it is. I don't think i'm leasing another one when this is over though.

I'm either getting a durango SRT or a jeep GC SRT next.

I just removed the engine cover as it had merely become a place for the squirrels to hide their winter larder. It was also a little more difficult to inspect the area and check the oil. The engine cover was of absolutely no benefit.
OTOH...I've never had a car before that didn't have an engine bonnet pad. So...that may be the next installation.
@ Quixkfix: Did you notice the engine to be noisier around town especially with the engine cover removed?

@ Quixkfix: Did you notice the engine to be noisier around town especially with the engine cover removed?
Not at all. It sounded like a sewing machine with the cover on. No change with it off.

Back