F-150 8.8 brake quetion

stretch

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Waskom, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 AWD
On the F-150 that came with the 8.8" rearend (84-96), I'm pretty sure that they all came with drum brakes. Could you take the disc brakes from an Explorer and put them on the F-150 axle, or are the housing ends different? I thought I had read that the Explorer 8.8 tapers at the end and that the F-150 has straight tubes? Does anyone know? I would like to avoid having to purchase a $300 kit if possible. And yes, I know that they're different bolt patterns and would have to get rotors to match the 5X5.5 of the F-150.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that some of the F150s came with disc brakes in the rear. I do know that some Expeditions came with disc brake rears as well...my mom's did.

pre-96 indeed did not come with diskbreaks in the rear, unless it was put on aftermarket.

So you want the disk break conversion kit for the f-150 8.8... do you already have the axle? why dont you jut get one with diskbrakes from the factory? Post-'96?

All the info I've found shows that F-150's came with the 5X135 bolt pattern after '96. That would mean even more custom parts: custom axles and rotors redrilled (already going to cost enough for now).

bmxking5: What year is you mom's expedition?

97 XLT...it was a year or so ago when she had it, but I think it had an 8.8. I don't think it was on all of them, but her's had the air ride leveling suspension in the rear. This obviously wouldn't be what you want, but you could get rid of all of that and weld on leaf perches.

Thanks bmxking5 but the Expedition came with a Sterling 9.75", I think. Guess that puts me back to square one. And who said anything about leaf springs? :p Planning on double triangulated 4-link with C/O and link adjustability built in to adjust the anti-squat for on and offroad driving. ;) I have found 2 different disc brake kits for the F-150 rear. I guess $300 for brakes isn't too bad since I was going to have custom axles made for the 8.8 that's in there now for about $300. Maybe I'll get out to the local yards soon to see if they have any F-150 axles sitting around for cheap.

Back