F-250 axle??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F-250 axle???

Is there anything wrong with using an F-250 axle instead of an F-150???

I already have a F-150 axle cut down and all that but a friend called this smorning from the junkyard. They just got a 79' F-250 front axle. Its already got 4.88 gears with a detroit locker in it. He pulled the axle shafts out and said they still look pretty new. He said for me buying it(out the back door anyways) he'd give it to me for $100.

I just wanna know if I could still use it for the swap or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by studdedx
Is there anything wrong with using an F-250 axle instead of an F-150???

I already have a F-150 axle cut down and all that but a friend called this smorning from the junkyard. They just got a 79' F-250 front axle. Its already got 4.88 gears with a detroit locker in it. He pulled the axle shafts out and said they still look pretty new. He said for me buying it(out the back door anyways) he'd give it to me for $100.

I just wanna know if I could still use it for the swap or not.

HEHE... You should know that ANYTHING is possible.. ;)

Well yeah Jim I know that!!!:)

I mean is there any difference in strength or anything that will give me a problem with cutting it down and using it.

It should actually be stronger than the f150 parts, based mostly on the f250 outers. I believe that all F250 D44's had flat top knuckles, which you can utilize with high clearance steering. The downsides are that the axle is set up for leaf springs and an 8 lug bolt pattern. Having 8 lugs isn't bad, except that you have to convert to new wheels and a new rear axle or axle shafts. Because it is set up for leafs, it does not have the c-bushing tabs for radius arms or coil mounts, obviously. It works if you're running leafs, but if you want coils you'll need to purchase some c bushing tabs (I believe that James Duff or wildhorses4x4 sells them) and radius arms, which you may already have from the f150 axle. I would say that anytime you can get your hands on a detroit locker alone for $100 you should jump on it. Also, all of the f250 outers and innards can be transposed to your already cut down f150 axle, which would be a real easy way to get the cbushing tabs and coil mounts. If you want to keep the 5 lug, the f150 outers will bolt on to the same 5 bolt spindle as the f250 outers. It sounds like deal for the ring gear, locker, and shafts alone. Someone correct me if I am wrong on any of the above. :hammer:

If the axle came from an F250 with the Snowfighter package it will be a Dana 60 with kingpins.

Other than that, Mudd nailed everything else.

Hey Corry,
What exactly is a kingpin? Also, these tabs I've heard mentioned on the dana44, on the 78 and 79 axle they were not adjustable. How big a deal is that? Can you still use the degreed bushings to set camber, or is that not possible if they aren't adjustable?
--Bob

Originally posted by Mudd*****
It should actually be stronger than the f150 parts, based mostly on the f250 outers. I believe that all F250 D44's had flat top knuckles, which you can utilize with high clearance steering. The downsides are that the axle is set up for leaf springs and an 8 lug bolt pattern. Having 8 lugs isn't bad, except that you have to convert to new wheels and a new rear axle or axle shafts. Because it is set up for leafs, it does not have the c-bushing tabs for radius arms or coil mounts, obviously. It works if you're running leafs, but if you want coils you'll need to purchase some c bushing tabs (I believe that James Duff or wildhorses4x4 sells them) and radius arms, which you may already have from the f150 axle. I would say that anytime you can get your hands on a detroit locker alone for $100 you should jump on it. Also, all of the f250 outers and innards can be transposed to your already cut down f150 axle, which would be a real easy way to get the cbushing tabs and coil mounts. If you want to keep the 5 lug, the f150 outers will bolt on to the same 5 bolt spindle as the f250 outers. It sounds like deal for the ring gear, locker, and shafts alone. Someone correct me if I am wrong on any of the above. :hammer:

Ok theoretically, If you have a second gen explorer and wanted to do a front D44 conversion with leaf springs, could an axle shaft be installed to match the 8.8's lug pattern in the rear? Also, would this axle be the best candidate for this application? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Bored_2wd
Hey Corry,
What exactly is a kingpin? Also, these tabs I've heard mentioned on the dana44, on the 78 and 79 axle they were not adjustable. How big a deal is that? Can you still use the degreed bushings to set camber, or is that not possible if they aren't adjustable?
--Bob

It serves the same function as a ball joint, ie. allowing the knuckle to pvot, but it uses bearings instead. Do a search of the net. A better explanation is out there!!!

I've seen two Ranger based vehciles with 78/79 D44 axles up front. The bushings can still correct the caster, but there is a lot of stress put on the inside of the bushing than the outside. This may result in going through C-bushings faster than normal.

Originally posted by Jason_25

Could an axle shaft be installed to match the 8.8's lug pattern in the rear? Also, would this axle be the best candidate for this application? Thanks in advance.

Yes. Call Moser Engineering, tell them what you need and they can make it.

It would require re-drilling the disc in the rear for the 5 on 5.5 pattern though.

Thanks Cory. Here's a newbie question for you (sorry). I'm assuming the F-250 axle is way wider than my explorer's axle correct? So I would need to get it cut down to match the rear right?

Originally posted by Jason_25
Thanks Cory. Here's a newbie question for you (sorry). I'm assuming the F-250 axle is way wider than my explorer's axle correct? So I would need to get it cut down to match the rear right?

It's a lot wider.

So yes, get it cut to match if you never plan on going to a full width rear axle.

Originally posted by CoryL

Yes. Call Moser Engineering, tell them what you need and they can make it.

It would require re-drilling the disc in the rear for the 5 on 5.5 pattern though.

I may have misread what he asked, but I thought he wanted to know whether a front Dana 44 could be made to have the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, and thus 'to match the 8.8's lug pattern in the rear.' My understanding is that the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern is undesirable in the front because the only Dana 44 offered with that bolt pattern was a dodge with vacuum hubs. The standard locking hub assembly on a dana 44 axle is simply to large to be surrounded by the smaller 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Therefore you need to get new shafts in the 8.8 to match the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern of the Dana 44.

Thanks both of you guys for all of your help. I appreciate it.

Back