Failure to Start: 02 6 cyl X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Failure to Start: 02 6 cyl X

Bob Explorer 200

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Can't seem to get my 02 X 6 cyl started. Replaced both rear strut/spring assemblies only to find car wouldn't start. Problem began when I finished strut installation; went to turn on ignition but had a series of click sounds just before ignition. Then all I got was the clicking without ignition. After calling dealer parts dept and Advanced Auto, I decided to change the starter ($145.00 at Advanced) but when I completed the installation, I still have only the same clicking sounds when I turn on the ignition.

Been without a vehicle for way too long and would really like to get back on the road. Any and all help/suggestions/info greatly appreciated.

Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just thought of something here. I disconnected battery at positive terminal to deal with an air bag light right after installing springs. Is it possible that I didn't get a good solid connection when I reconnected battery and that's what's causing the problem?

My friend had the same problem. It was all working fine and even started in the parking lot 3 miles from his house but when he got there it wouldn't restart. It turned out to be the battery, failing without any warning. His also had the clicking sound that came from the throttle body and all the interior light/gauges would flash. The little red light on top of the dash was also flashing rapidly.

I agree with Ocean Pacific. Get that battery load tested. Don't just put a voltmeter on it and measure voltage, go to advanced and get it load tested. About a month ago, my battery measured 12.4V so I was convinced it was fine, but my X still wouldn't start. So I got the battery tested and it failed. Free test and simple fix if that's the problem.

^^^^^^^ X3!! Get it load tested!!!

i had to deal with this too much

It could be a dead battery, also check the terminal connection, it should be clean and tight. That was a big problem on mine, terminals would come loose and would act like a dead battery

Well, all four of you guys were right on the mark. After getting a jump start from a friend today and then getting the X re-inspected (It passed and I'm finally back on the road!!! The freedom of actually being able to drive anywhere again is fantastic after being stuck in the house for seven and a half weeks!!!), brought it up to Advanced Auto for load test. Seems too much time sitting idle in a cold garage killed the already old battery. So, with new springs/struts in rear, new starter, new battery and NO air bag light showing, the old rig rides better than ever. In all honesty, I must say that I never would have been able to get it done without the expertise and assistance I found on this board. Thanks a million, guys!

Bob, hanks for the update. Glad you got it fixed. :thumbsup:

Back