Fair 5th Generation Explorer Maintenance Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fair 5th Generation Explorer Maintenance Question

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
Has anyone driven their 5th generation Explorer 50,000 or more miles without any build quality issues and having only performed general required maintenance? General maintenance is as follows:

· Change oil

· Change engine air filter

· Change cabin air filter

· Brake job

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope. I'm just shy of 49,000 miles, so close enough. According to the maintenance records it had regular maintenance. Only two major issues seemed to be that the previous owner had the shiftier lever replaced and I had to get my transmission rebuilt/replaced a couple weeks into having it.

Does a recall count? I had the rear toe link recall completed right around the 50k mile mark.
Other than that, up to about 59K miles, I only did regular maintenance. Oil changes and one change for each air and cabin filter.

At about 59K miles, my air bag came on and was fixed under warranty.

I'm at about 61K miles now and my rear brakes are getting low, but not completely worn and the original tires probably have another 10K miles left on them, but we'll see how they do with the first snow this year. I might change the brakes before it gets too cold and we'll see how the tires do in the snow.

I'm tempted to do a few other preventative maintenance items like transmission, PTU and rear diff fluids in the near future.

I think a forum like ours is geared toward the folks who have issues. These days if you don't have an issue, no need for a forum. Being a glorified van and no longer a capable off road explorer further complicates this issue. It's no longer an "enthusiast" vehicle.

That being said, I walked up to offer a 5th gen owner a license frame at our local car wash. He explained his 15 explorer was trouble free after over 10 trips to Oregon and back visiting their daughter. He had well over 50 k miles on it and was going to trade it in for another at around 85k miles. He had no need fr our forum, or the plate frame. No desire at all. If it breaks he said it will go to the dealer.

I have yet to speak directly to anyone who owns one of these who doesn't like it.

So, I do not think you will get an accurate answer from a repair forum.

I think a forum like ours is geared toward the folks who have issues. These days if you don't have an issue, no need for a forum. Being a glorified van and no longer a capable off road explorer further complicates this issue. It's no longer an "enthusiast" vehicle.

That being said, I walked up to offer a 5th gen owner a license frame at our local car wash. He explained his 15 explorer was trouble free after over 10 trips to Oregon and back visiting their daughter. He had well over 50 k miles on it and was going to trade it in for another at around 85k miles. He had no need fr our forum, or the plate frame. No desire at all. If it breaks he said it will go to the dealer.

I have yet to speak directly to anyone who owns one of these who doesn't like it.

I couldn't agree more. While there will always be enthusiasts like ourselves (and
@jonnoriega, @Summers22, @Fentress24, etc) the overwhelming majority of those who register at a site like this are seeking some kind of help or answers. And that's fine. But it skews any data you might find here in regards to questions like asked above.

It's not just a forum like this, either. Back before kids when I had more time to online game I used to frequent the Call of Duty forums. For every 'this is a great game' thread there were 10-15 threads complaining about something or just outright trashing the game. Those trashing the game would use the large disparity as 'proof' that the game was garbage. A handful of us would then try to explain (as you did) that the vast majority of those who join the forums are there for 'issues' and that, outside of a handful of 'die hards', those who didn't have issues didn't bother to register on the forums because, wait for it, they were out enjoying the game.

Out of 147 views one owner has made it to 50,000 miles doing regular maintenance, less than 1%. We will agree to disagree in regard to the forum bias leaning toward those who join because of problems vs modifications and/or to share ideas. I used to post a lot on a Lexus forum where the owners brag about build quality, performance and reliability. Anytime someone joins and asked about buying that particular Lexus all posts are extremely favorable unlike this forum. I've owned a first generation Explorer bought new and a third generation Explorer, this Explorer is far different from several standpoints, some good and some bad, but the to me the reliability and build quality of this generation of Explorer are questionable at best.

Out of 147 views one owner has made it to 50,000 miles doing regular maintenance, less than 1%. We will agree to disagree in regard to the forum bias leaning toward those who join because of problems vs modifications and/or to share ideas. I used to post a lot on a Lexus forum where the owners brag about build quality, performance and reliability. Anytime someone joins and asked about buying that particular Lexus all posts are extremely favorable unlike this forum. I've owned a first generation Explorer bought new and a third generation Explorer, this Explorer is far different from several standpoints, some good and some bad, but the to me the reliability and build quality of this generation of Explorer are questionable at best.

Well, I will agree 100% with the last sentence.
Going from a rear wheel drive body on frame to a front wheel drive unibody , build quality , well yeah. I agree.

I still want one though. I think they look nice, and I would not mind poking around to find the fix on common issues. I'd beat the snot out of it.

Both of our 13's were in the mid 50's when we caught ecoboost fever and traded them in. They both had the bubbly hood issue and one had the "shift to park" problem. No biggie. All taken care of under warranty. Our 02' had more issues than our gen 5's. Our 2 16's have been great so far. I think part of the problem is sub par dealers who are to lazy or incompetent to correct problems the first time.
Our dealer is great, so there for, issues that might happen are no big deal.

A friend of mine bought his and hers Eddie Bower Edition Explorers. One has over 300,000 miles and the other well over 200,000. They are still their daily drivers to work with 2 newer luxury vehicles for the weekends and long trips. I can only hope and pray that my first Explorer is as reliable as their older, body on frame models.

A friend of mine bought his and hers Eddie Bower Edition Explorers. One has over 300,000 miles and the other well over 200,000. They are still their daily drivers to work with 2 newer luxury vehicles for the weekends and long trips. I can only hope and pray that my first Explorer is as reliable as their older, body on frame models.

My point exactly, the older Explorers could easily run into high mileage with predictable maintenance at low costs. Based on posts in this forum I think this generation of Explorer will not be all that easy to predict failures of water pumps (could lead to a seized engine), turbos, etc., and will result in much higher maintenance costs if someone wants to keep their Explorer into higher mileage.

Last edited:

80K miles. Changed transmission fluid at 50K miles. Got PTU changed due to leak at 45K. Changed rear diff fluid at 65K. Oil changes used to be every 5K miles but I just do what the oil life monitor says which goes about 10K miles for me now.

I have just under 50,000 miles on a 2014 with only the window chatter issue covered under warranty. I do my own oil & fluid changes. I have replaced front and back brake pads primarily due to spending the winter in the mountains. I changed the front pads last fall at 40% left and the rear this spring at about 50%. Spending the winter in Utah in the mountains is no place to be with marginal pads. I changed the rear pads just so I had the same pads, Wagner OEX on front and back. That is it for me...

I have just under 50,000 miles on a 2014 with only the window chatter issue covered under warranty. I do my own oil & fluid changes. I have replaced front and back brake pads primarily due to spending the winter in the mountains. I changed the front pads last fall at 40% left and the rear this spring at about 50%. Spending the winter in Utah in the mountains is no place to be with marginal pads. I changed the rear pads just so I had the same pads, Wagner OEX on front and back. I drained trans fluid and PTU (both as much as I can get out) at 40,000 miles.

I'm about half way there and have only performed oil changes and lubing the caliper slider pins during season tire swaps.
Are there any major issues, nothing systemic; but there sure is a hell alot of minor things!

......... Being a glorified van and no longer a capable off road explorer further complicates this issue. It's no longer an "enthusiast" vehicle.
This seems to be a common misconception. While not exactly a 'rock crawler', the Explorer, given its limitations, is actually quite capable of light to some moderate 'off roading' as verified by several posted videos both on this Forum and on the Internet. http://www.explorerforum.com/xenfor...-5th-gen-explorer.346975/page-14#post-3644816

Peter

My first car when I turned 16 was a hand me down Eddie Bauer Explorer from my dad with 250k miles on it. I traded it in for $3,000 with 290,000 miles on it. Man I drove the crap out of that thing. The only serious work it ever had done was when it had the transmission replaced at 175k miles.

My dad is still mad at me to this day that I didn't offer it to him instead of trading it in. He loved that truck.

While he might have that 5th gen off road, I doubt it'd handle nearly the abuse of a 1st or 2nd gen, which I think would have rolled right through there.

Has anyone driven their 5th generation Explorer 50,000 or more miles without any build quality issues and having only performed general required maintenance? General maintenance is as follows:

· Change oil

· Brake job
Yep! I bought a 2013 with 18k miles and I now have 121k on the odometer after two years. Granted, 75% of these miles are highway miles - but it's been a great ride. Still doesn't burn any oil, original shocks, about to get it's third set of tires, new pads and rotors (PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors) and everything works. I change the oil every 10k per the service indicator.

I'm getting the poor paint on the aluminum hood where the lower hood meets the front fender that everyone else complains about. When it was two months out of the 36 month warranty the dealer body shop said... "nope... can't help you." THAT was disappointing. Their repair cost is about $600 to repaint the hood.

I wonder how the F150 all aluminum body is going to hold up if Ford doesn't know how to paint aluminum properly yet. I don't think I would buy one until they get this figured out. Hopefully they have now but they certainly didn't in 2013.

Other than this - I love my Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

· Change oil

· Brake job
102K miles. Fluids, filters, tires, brakes. 10K mile oil changes with full synthetic. Only recalls performed. No other issues, and it's driven every day.

I do change transmission fluid every 50K, PTU every 30K, and I flushed out the dark green coolant, and replaced. There is no such thing as lifetime fluids.

Back