Fat Cat's 99 SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fat Cat's 99 SAS

Well, I finally pulled my head outta my SAS! Now that I have things just about right, I'll post a ton of pictures to show how everything went.;)

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with my questions and everyone who posted all the info about other SAS projects. This forum is a great place to search and find loads of info.:salute:

Test-run-2.jpg

Test-run-front.jpg

Engine:
4.0 SOHC

Cooling:
EBAY Transmission cooler
EBAY Power steering cooler
Trans pan tapped for Temp gauge.

Drivetrain:
Atlas 3.8 Transfer case
Custom Drive shafts

Front Axle:
‘75 Bronco Dana 44
Ected locker
Purple Cranium Half cover, diff guard
5.13 Yukon Ring & Pinion
Superior Chrome Molly inner and outer axles.
SuperJoint U-joints
Warn premium manual locking hubs
14" travel 2.0 SAW resi coilovers
Light Racing Hydro Bumpstops
Trail Gear Hydro Assist Ram
1st. gen steering box, tapped for hydro.
CAGE Arms

Rear Axle:
Explorer 8.8 31 spline
Superior Super 8.8 axles
Detroit Locker
5.13 Yukon Ring & Pinion
Stock rotors re-drilled to 5.5
Fox 2.0 resi shocks
Spring-over
McNeil Racing Anti-wrap bar
Mag High tech Diff Cover
Add a Leif.

Tires:
37x12.50 17 MT/R's

Rims:
17x8 Black Pro Comp 7089 Aluminum Rims

Body Mods:
Glass front fenders
EBAY black headlights
Harbor freight roof rack lkights
Pro Comp 130 driving lights
ABS plastic rear windows
Removable vinyl side windows

Body Armor:
Custom Built Bumpers by Renoso Racing Tijuana
Full roll cage By Renoso Racing Tijuana
Under body skid plate and transfer case guard by Renoso Racing Tijuana
Rock Sliders by McNeil Racing Tijuana

Miscellaneous modifications:
Currie Universal AntiRock
Headers
K&M intake
BamaChips tune
MileMarker 9,000 winch
2" wheel spacers

Here it is when we started cutting the IFS stuff off;

Before.jpg

BeforeSide.jpg

UnderCut.jpg

CrossCut.jpg

Cleanframe.jpg

The new front axle getting re-worked;

NewAxle.jpg

Cut2.jpg

Cut1.jpg

Here is the steering work done by Willy's 4x4 shop in Tijuana. They reinforced the frame and tapped the steering box and mounted everything as well as making a funky custom High Steer arm using a pitman arm, cut, flipped and welded to the knuckle (so good so far);

SteeringBoxplate.jpg

SteerBox.jpg

HighSteer.jpg

Some more shots of the work done at Willys and the truck standing on its own to be moved to Renoso's for the cage and hoops;

37side.jpg

AxleandArms.jpg

Frontworking.jpg

FirstWalk.jpg

Over at Renoso's shop we started the bumpers and mocking up all the steering components;

EarlyTieRod.jpg

Earlymounts3.jpg

Earlymounts2.jpg

Earlymounts.jpg

Earlyhoopmounts.jpg

Once everything was lined up we finished the steering stuff and added the coilovers;

Rammountdone.jpg

Hydrodone.jpg

Coiloverstestfit.jpg

Coilandhoopin.jpg

Enginecross.jpg

Enginehoopmeet.jpg

After that, we started on the cage. I wanted the cage to be inside the pillars and channels and welded to the body. That way I could hopefully put back most of the stock interior and give myself some extra interior space;

Gutted.jpg

Dashtrashed.jpg

Cagepillar.jpg

Cage3.jpg

Cage1.jpg

Cage2.jpg

The rear storage and bumpers came next. I wanted to mount the CO2 tank, battery's & spare tire inside, down low, and still have room above for my footlockers for storage. I can fit 3 footlockers inside and 2 more on the roof rack. They are marked; Spares & tools, Camping, kitchen, clothes. Plus a misc. one. I only load the ones I'm going to use on any given adventure:)

Reardeck.jpg

Rearstore.jpg

Rearsparebox.jpg

Bumperside.jpg

RearBumpFull.jpg

RearBump1.jpg

Here is a few of the radius arm mounts, the transfer case cross member, and the skid plate which incorporates a front cross member in front of the oil pan;

ArmMounts.jpg

Skid-plate.jpg

OK! that's about it:eek: Here are a few shots from my first trip out with the new locker and rear axles. I ran the truck hard to try to find the weak spots and except for being a bit tippy (I'm going to lighten the AntiRock settings) the truck worked great!!!:D

It was a 2 hour freeway trip to Jacume & the truck was a dream on the road. No wobbles, shaking, or anything unpleasant. It drove like a comfy truck & wheeled like a Hell Raiser!

Test-run-flex-rear.jpg

Test-run-flex-front.jpg

Climb-down-1.jpg

Climb-down-2.jpg
Testrun1.jpg

Tire-up.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice job!! You really went all out on this build.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The truck is bad arse, and that is that.

:salute:

I'm guessing this is why...

This set up is working good for about 30 jeeps done by Willys shop. I didn't trust it at first, but I've seen them take huge abuse & not break.

dude whoa nice friggin build
I especially like the cage inside the factory pillars, something I must keep in mind when I do my BII.....

Why dont you have an extra brace on the B pillar for the drivers side?
An X instead of a diagnal only for the passenger?

Just curious

How do you like the Ected front?
Do you still have side curtain airbags in the seats? hehehehe

awesome build

dude whoa nice friggin build
I especially like the cage inside the factory pillars, something I must keep in mind when I do my BII.....

Why dont you have an extra brace on the B pillar for the drivers side?
An X instead of a diagnal only for the passenger?

How do you like the Ected front?
Do you still have side curtain airbags in the seats? hehehehe

Most of the cage was modeled after the cage in the McNeils new Explorer prerunner. They have the diagonal support at the C pillar, but I wanted it at the B and flipped it to give myself more seat room.

The Ected in the 44 works great! I really like this locker/limited slip. I had one in the rear, but the new 37's were a bit too much for it. I don't think the front see's the same stress as the back, so I think it will hold up...

I do still have the airbags in the seats, but the airbag lights were flashing so I don't think the system works any more. We removed the passenger airbag all together and now I get a loud 5 tone warning every 30 minutes that repeats 5 times... Anyone know how to kill that bell?

Thanks!

Chris

Attachments

• McNeil2.jpg
    McNeil2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,352
  • McNeil1.jpg
    McNeil1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 1,373

truck is sick as hell, thanks for sharing!!

drool drool

amazing build I love it
where did you pick up those head lights? those are bad ass

I have those headlights on my 96 too, try a seach for black headlights

after alil more oggling over your build
I was wondering if you had a shot of how you set up your rear shocks outside the frame. If you have a few pictures that would help me see whats going on. I've been really thinking about how I could do a different shock set up in the rear. also are you still using the stock ford explorer 8.8 or are you running a full width axle.
thanks for your help

after alil more oggling over your build
I was wondering if you had a shot of how you set up your rear shocks outside the frame. If you have a few pictures that would help me see whats going on. I've been really thinking about how I could do a different shock set up in the rear. also are you still using the stock ford explorer 8.8 or are you running a full width axle.
thanks for your help

Hello!

Its still the stock width rear axle.

Here is the thread where I got the outboard shock hoops etc...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138090

Thanks!

Chris

BTW CG -- I didn't notice it but I see you were running Maxxis CC :D I have yet to try mine out on the rocks but were they are good as people say?

I'm curious too. :)

nice truck! mr fatty fat cat.

Looks incredible. Far cry from when I first saw it at Truckhaven and you had to take the "easy" way around everything.

I'm curious too. :)

Hello!

Man, I loved those tires! They are as great as everyone says, If I had the money I would have bought a set of the 37's.

I found some MT/R's for $800 like new, but I already put a stick through the side wall of one; something I never worried about with the CC's

The guy I sold them to loves them as well, he is running open diff's and people are amazed at the stuff he can climb with them.

The only thing I didn't like about them, was how heavy they were. With steel rims, they were massive. They tore up my ifs front end almost every trip out.

Thanks!

Chris

Looks incredible. Far cry from when I first saw it at Truckhaven and you had to take the "easy" way around everything.

Yeah, I remember that was quite the learning experience for me. All the trucks with lockers would just slowly climb around everywhere & I just sat there & dug holes:confused:

nice truck! mr fatty fat cat.

Thank you, thank you very much

Did you ever contact McNeils for your front end stuff???

Attachments

• fat elvis.jpg
    fat elvis.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,236

yeah i did! made me some radius arms adn now im saving up to get the whole front end done (which is gonna take forever being that i just started college and have three cars in the backyard im trying to fix)

Back