Finally the time has come.... lowering. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally the time has come.... lowering.

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Well now that I've finally gotten my financial aid refund, and it's starting to look like I'll be able to finally lower. I've just got a few questions to iron out with you guys.

My first question is an idea I had concerning the gangsta lean. I've read the sticky about swapping spring sides, but I had an idea... Now remember, in my mind this works, and I see no reason why it technically shouldn't work, lol...

I've thought about using an add-a-leaf system to lift up just one side of the Explorer in the rear, particularly the left side, where the sag is common. Would this hurt my Explorer's drivetrain in anyway? I'm thinking it won't because the axle would still be sitting level, the way it was suppose to. But when it's level finally, when I go to lower it I can still use blocks to lower?

The reason I'm thinking about this is that the Axle will be level from one side to another, and then the drop woudl be the same amount. Also, everything will be bolted in, and not be able to just move out of position.

Some insight please? If it's not a good idea I'll happily scrap it, but just thought I'd post and see what y'all thought.

Second question, what's a good shock for lowering? I'm going to replace all shocks and the front springs at teh same time. I figure while I have it apart, why not?

-Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't do the add-a-leaf only on one side. It will make that spring stiffer than the other and would effect the the ride and handling in a negative way. I'm running the edelbrock shocks currently and they really stiffen the suspension up. They're a little to stiff for my mountaineer with all of the other changes I've made to stiffen it up, but they would probably help you.

You're going the wrong direction...:D

Not a good idea... If you've got money now, buy new springs and don't mickey mouse your 'show truck' together.

I'd search DJM or Belltech for shocks.

I wouldn't do the add-a-leaf only on one side. It will make that spring stiffer than the other and would effect the the ride and handling in a negative way. I'm running the edelbrock shocks currently and they really stiffen the suspension up. They're a little to stiff for my mountaineer with all of the other changes I've made to stiffen it up, but they would probably help you.

Cool, thanks for the replies. I didn't even think about the handling/ride differences, all I had been thinking about was the height. I know the sag will eventually come back, so I'm going to leave it... for now. I've been looking into replacing the rear springs with some kind of link setup and airbags.. But I'm still researching it. So for now looks like I'll just be doing the i-beam drops with blocks in the back. Just have to wait and see just hwo much this financial aid is.

Para, says you!! If I had a 4x4 truck I'd go higher, but I feel it's a waste with a 2wd. Not going slammed like some guys, just going for a slightly lower stance. I'm shooting for a completion date of Spring Break (mid-march), I'd like to drive it into Panama City for Spring break :)

Thanks guy, I'll keep ya updated.

BTW Froader, that's a kickass avatar, I've often thought about taking the photoshop class they offer at my school

Back