• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Finally the time has come.... lowering.

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Well now that I've finally gotten my financial aid refund, and it's starting to look like I'll be able to finally lower. I've just got a few questions to iron out with you guys.

My first question is an idea I had concerning the gangsta lean. I've read the sticky about swapping spring sides, but I had an idea... Now remember, in my mind this works, and I see no reason why it technically shouldn't work, lol...

I've thought about using an add-a-leaf system to lift up just one side of the Explorer in the rear, particularly the left side, where the sag is common. Would this hurt my Explorer's drivetrain in anyway? I'm thinking it won't because the axle would still be sitting level, the way it was suppose to. But when it's level finally, when I go to lower it I can still use blocks to lower?

The reason I'm thinking about this is that the Axle will be level from one side to another, and then the drop woudl be the same amount. Also, everything will be bolted in, and not be able to just move out of position.

Some insight please? If it's not a good idea I'll happily scrap it, but just thought I'd post and see what y'all thought.

Second question, what's a good shock for lowering? I'm going to replace all shocks and the front springs at teh same time. I figure while I have it apart, why not?

-Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
Not a good idea... If you've got money now, buy new springs and don't mickey mouse your 'show truck' together.

I'd search DJM or Belltech for shocks.

techieman33

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 V8 Mountaineer
I wouldn't do the add-a-leaf only on one side. It will make that spring stiffer than the other and would effect the the ride and handling in a negative way. I'm running the edelbrock shocks currently and they really stiffen the suspension up. They're a little to stiff for my mountaineer with all of the other changes I've made to stiffen it up, but they would probably help you.

Paraphoe

Go big or go home
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Willow Grove, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
You're going the wrong direction...:D

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Not a good idea... If you've got money now, buy new springs and don't mickey mouse your 'show truck' together.

I'd search DJM or Belltech for shocks.
I wouldn't do the add-a-leaf only on one side. It will make that spring stiffer than the other and would effect the the ride and handling in a negative way. I'm running the edelbrock shocks currently and they really stiffen the suspension up. They're a little to stiff for my mountaineer with all of the other changes I've made to stiffen it up, but they would probably help you.
Cool, thanks for the replies. I didn't even think about the handling/ride differences, all I had been thinking about was the height. I know the sag will eventually come back, so I'm going to leave it... for now. I've been looking into replacing the rear springs with some kind of link setup and airbags.. But I'm still researching it. So for now looks like I'll just be doing the i-beam drops with blocks in the back. Just have to wait and see just hwo much this financial aid is.

Para, says you!! If I had a 4x4 truck I'd go higher, but I feel it's a waste with a 2wd. Not going slammed like some guys, just going for a slightly lower stance. I'm shooting for a completion date of Spring Break (mid-march), I'd like to drive it into Panama City for Spring break :)

Thanks guy, I'll keep ya updated.

BTW Froader, that's a kickass avatar, I've often thought about taking the photoshop class they offer at my school

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Finally lowered my explorer! Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 30
E coil-over suspension for 02-up Explorers finally released Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
Afboy143 Finally got the money to lower my truck, need some advice now Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 7
T I finally dropped my 95 Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
9 Has anybody? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
C Lowering my 91 explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
B Lowering torsion bar HELP Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 13
B Lowering blocks install question Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
K Installed lowering keys... now leans to the right Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
M Lowering 2nd Gen - Front Bump Stops Question - also shocks ? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
M Lowering 2000 Limited with rear air supension - Ride Height Calibration Question Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
S Lowering 2000 explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
N Lowering 04 Explorer 4x4 Wagon Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
R Lowering Shackles Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 12
1 Advice needed about lowering blocks! Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 6
L Lowering a 2007 Explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
J 98 explorer sport lowering blocks question Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
H Details on lowering kits for my 99' Mercury Mountaineer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
8 lowering kits for 2nd gen explorers? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
E Canuck Motorsports lowering springs installed Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
D Lowering quick struts. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
R 02 XLS Lowering for performance, not looks. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
S Lowering the front end. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
9 1st gen x lowering help Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
A lowering the 2nd gen 4x4 Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
J Lowering my Explorer. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 6
S lowering front and back w/ a week in between. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 0
A Lowering Explorer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
F lowering factory control arms? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 7
A 01 lowering kit????? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
DeadlySteve Lowering Gen 1 4x4 ... Lots of Q's! Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
S Lowering an 05 AWD V8 Mount Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
U Lowering a 98 Mounty 5.0 AWD. Any help appreciated! Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
F need help lowering a 1997 4x4 Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
D Lowering a 2001 Sport Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
F lowering ?s Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 8
P Lowering via Torsion Twist Questions. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
O Lowering my 99 Sport Explorer. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 2
T Lowering my 00' Mounty. A few questions... Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 7
R please help! lowering 06 explorer/mountaineer Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
9 New Sticky Needed :TT Lowering the front Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
O Will I need an alignment after lowering blocks? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
D Lowering first Gen Explorer. Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 28
O Lowering blocks...what is the actual drop? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 3
R Lowering 2002 XLT Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 1
O Lowering 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 5
B Lowering keys Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 34
A lowering first gen 4x4? Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 11
M Lowering a 3rd Gen Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 4
M some info on lowering Q's about ranchos Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech 7