• Register Today It's free!

Flashin 'O/D Off' light - again!

Derek up North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
I've just bought my first Explorer, ('99, 4.0 SOHC with 150k miles). It's got the (apparently very common) flashing 'O/D Off' light flashing at me. No check engine light on and my Equus scanner doesn't find and codes in the OBD2 memory. I've read search results here until my head's spinning. I see mention of reading transmission codes and that some aftermarket 'code readers' don't read them. Is there some way to read transmission codes (Number of flashes?) before heading to a dealer or transmission shop?

If I stop and shut of the engine and then restart, it no longer flashes but starts flashing again a few miles down the road. I don't notice any change in drivability before or after.

I've read to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to erase all codes and reset the memory, but am wondering if I'm not better off keeping any 'hidden' codes in memory for a shop to read?

I haven't noticed any hard shifting, but since the light started flashing I've been driving VERY gently. I honestly can't say if it's shifting into O/D or not because the tach isn't working (seperate problem, I suppose). Haven't tried shifting into 4x4 (Hi or Lo) because I don't want to do anything to make things worse.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TTFN

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't disconnect the battery, a stored code won't hurt anything. You need to get the code read. You need a scanner capable of reading trans DTC codes. Turning the key off resets it but the code remains. It is probably starting off in 3rd gear instead of first which is typical when the OD light is flashing.

My code reader gives me the transmission codes for GM products. Are Ford sometimes not displayed on some readers? And is it only some (or none) of the transmission problems that trigger the OBD2 'Check Engine' light?

Is there some way to read the codes without a reader? On old Toyotas and Chevys you could put a jumper across a couple of terminals on a connector and then count the flashes of the CEL.

Transmission problems don't trigger the check engine light, however certain engine problems can effect the transmission. Trans problems flash the OD light. There is no way to read the trans codes with out a proper scanner.

There is no way to read the trans codes with out a proper scanner.

Bummer. Not very nice of Ford! Thanks for the info. I guess it'll be off to a tranny shop or the dreaded Dealer.

Hopefully it's nothing major (or expen$ive) to fix. It seems to be working nicely. Smooth shifts, no noises or vibrations. If it weren't for the flashing light, I certainly wouldn't have noticed anything wrong.

Did u get it figured out??? I have same issue but mine seems to fall out of gear (like I hit shifter n bumped into neutral) then OD starts flashing directly after then from there on it does the following until I clear codes (if any) and reset light (once ive cleared/reset truck drives just fine...the following symptoms im about to list happen each flashing OD occurrence, albeit, in no particular order (very random-may be 1st to 2nd that shifts differently then on way home may be 3rd to 4th...I want 2 stress that there is NO LOSS of gear function permanently whatsoever, it either can be worked into gear or pull over turn off and clear code then issue temporary resolved (as mentioned above)...

ok so right before OD flashing, truck Feels like shifter got knocked into neutral then OD flash (as mentioned above, this occurrence can present itself in any gear) directly after flashing starts the thing I immediately note is , no matter what gear it occurred in this go around, the reving of rpms is immediately effected, and it might delay the next shift into next gear (sometimes the delay is so slow its as if I'm not even applying pressure on gas petal -even tho rpm needle on cluster is moving-then sometimes the delay feels like the rpm needle is way ahead of the acceleration itself, however once close to rpm #3 mark it & acceleration catch up then at this point it will either shift a tad hard into next gear or it doesn't ever complete the transition into next gear and it's at that point I have to pull over shut engine off and/or clear code/light before it will shift properly again ...then other times it's a very quick shift (while the rpm needle will quickly jump from say rpm #1 mark to #2 mark then quickly back down ) ...

So our issues sound very similar so very curious what remedy fixed yours...TIA

Back