• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster vs. Borla mufflers

AdamB

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Anyone have any specific experience between the Flowmaster 70, Flowmaster Super 50, and Borla XS?

It's for my daily driver, some city and some highway use everyday. It's a stock '04 with 4.6L. What I'm really looking for is feedback on sound. I want something with a louder-than-stock sound, but something I can live with doing 70 on the highway with. And when I start towing my camper with my family, I want to be able to talk to them on the trip (I think :D).

I've heard lots of sound clips for the Flowmaster 70, but nothing for the Super 50 or Borla. I love the slightly more sophisticated sound Borla gives on other vehicles, but not sure how that translates to a Ford V8. The Flowmaster 50 I assume is like the 70, but louder inside and out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Should be some 4.6 mustangs running the borla on youtube

Should be some 4.6 mustangs running the borla on youtube

There are, and they sound great! I almost put a Borla cat back on my '01 Cobra Mustang actually. But, I've been told that the rest of the setup (intake, exhaust manifolds, tuning) between the 4.6 in the Mustangs and Explorers are so different, the sounds would also be very different. Just hearsay though. Never heard them side by side before..

I'm sure it's different but it should be close enough to get an idea. Listening to YouTube clips isn't a real good representation of each muffler

I can tell you one thing, Borla is not hype. My friend installed a nice Borla system on his GTO and it sounds real friggin good. Videos on you tube give you an idea for sure, but real life sound is amazing.

I may have found my answer on one of the Expedition forums (although that's a 5.4L motor versus the 4.6L). They make it sound like the Borla XS sound and loudness is closer to the Flowmaster 40, and Borla doesn't have a toned-down muffler that compares to the Flowmaster 70. Can anyone confirm that?

I like the Magnaflow catback, but of your choices I would definitely go for the Borla.

I have the Flowmaster 70 for the exact reasons you are wanting and love it. Louder than stock but not annoying for DD. I also cut the 3rd cat/resonator off and have 2.5" exhaust run in the factory location.

Done

I ended up buying the Borla on a hunch I would love it as much as I always have on other cars. And I do. It sounds different from the Mustangs a little, but it still has a nice deep grumble. It's louder than stock, zero drone, and definitely a livable muffler for a family car. With the stereo turned up or A/C blasting, you barely hear it. Cruising along with my wife and 1 yr. old, we can talk with no issue. The funny thing is when I accelerate, the little one goes "vrooooom". It's adorable. The Borla also has given me about 5% fuel economy gain, and that's with my revving higher for the fun of it. Long term, and when I can behave, I may get 10%. And that's not bad in a 4.6L V8.

And, it will eventually pay for itself. I bought it on Amazon for just $93 with free shipping. $70 more to have it installed. This was the one the Borla rep recommended, and I had the shop confirm. It's a straight forward install, and only need a short extension to connect to the existing pipes:
Borla 40665 Pro XS
Specs are :
Center/Offset
Inlet/Outlet diameter: 2 1/2"
Case Size: 19" x 4" x 9 1/2"

Anyway, when I have time in the next few weeks I'll take a video and load it to YouTube for future reference, since no one's every done one.

Got a quick couple videos posted. I'll add more when I have time.

Late to the game but thanks for posting this. I believe I'll go with the Borla myself.

Back