• Register Today It's free!

Which Exhaust is Better

Cicio Bello

Reaction score
City, State
Philly,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I love the sound of the borla xr-1 but on borla's website they have XR-1® Sportsman Racing Mufflers and XR-1® Multi-core Racing Mufflers what would be the best one for my 4.0 2002 Explorer??

I also Like th Flowmaster 40 Series.. But I think Borla Sounds alittle more muscular..

Help please..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love the sound of the borla xr-1 but on borla's website they have XR-1® Sportsman Racing Mufflers and XR-1® Multi-core Racing Mufflers what would be the best one for my 4.0 2002 Explorer??

I also Like th Flowmaster 40 Series.. But I think Borla Sounds alittle more muscular..

Help please..

It's all a matter of preference. Generally the physical size of the muffler has a lot to do with how loud it is. Smaller muffler, louder sound. Lots of people here seem to like the FM 40. I bought a Gibson catback kit and have been very happy....quieter than the FM 40 but just right for my taste.

if your going for performance magnaflow is the way to go.

Do you want something loud, moderate or relatively quiet? I have a dynomax super turbo, its barely louder than stock. I've also heard Gibson is relatively quiet. The Magnaflow and flowmaster 40 will be louder. Gibson and the magnaflow are stainless, which is a plus. The borla is probably stainless too.

Are you just looking at swapping out your muffler? Or put a catback in like Ronin (gibson) or Courtny (cherry bomb) ?

if your going for performance magnaflow is the way to go.

x3 on the Magnaflow, can't go wrong with that brand. Also, the Flowmaster 40 series is a great, deep toned muffler as well. All the tops brands make similar mufflers, it's just a matter of preference and what style your looking for.

Thanks for all the replys... I like gibson my friend has it on his EX.. but its not loud enough as well as the magnaflow didnt seem loud. I want something where I start my explorer an it pisses the neighbors off. lol.. Flowmaster 40 sounds great but after I heard the borla xr1 I'm undecided.. I plan on going cat back.. I think I want to start with the muffler and back.. an then go further..

I want loud but I want like a muscle sound.. DEFINITELY DO NOT want a tuner sound lol..

Thanks Every one...

I like the Gibson.. however I noticed that there are 2 exit options: side and slant. Is this correct? I personallylike the look of the slant on our trucks.

Also if you buy a catback you can always swap the.muffler for a louder one...

I like the Gibson.. however I noticed that there are 2 exit options: side and slant. Is this correct? I personallylike the look of the slant on our trucks.

Also if you buy a catback you can always swap the.muffler for a louder one...

Correct, those are the most common unless you want to completely customize and design an exit area yourself. I have the slant on my truck and personally I LOVE the look compared to side.

Correct, those are the most common unless you want to completely customize and design an exit area yourself. I have the slant on my truck and personally I LOVE the look compared to side.

Agreed... And u can find the kit for very reasonable prices.

i got single in and dual out 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and they are 2 1/2 inch tips

Back