• Register Today It's free!

Forced air intake from CO2 Tank?

takaminegenie

Reaction score
City, State
Eupora, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4x4
This may Sound crazy, but is there any way a person could setup up a large oxygen tank to force air into the intake creating boost or psi for added horsepower? Tank would have to be "H" size and capapble of holding 800 cubic feet of air. And i was thinking that a bypass vavle can be installed on the intake hose. I mean all you need is 10-15 psi constant for about 15-20 seconds. Will it work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think so... even with the added air density you may not get much more performance. The fuel/air mix in the combustion chambers may be too air rich. It might work if you increase fuel pressure at the same time as you open the bypass valve to let in the compressed air. At least that's what I think... I could be wrong :smoke:

Compressed oxygen is so flammable, though. Wait a minute! Why don't you use a tank of oxygen mixed with an inert gas, such as Nitrogen. Or, you could use some molecular combination of Oxygen and Nitrogen. You could inject it under pressure right into the intake system. Small amounts could be used alone. Or, if you use a lot, extra fuel could be added. I think it might work!

(he he he)
John.

Hahahah... heh - heh... haaaaaaa. Almost like someone pumped laffing gas in here.

compressed O2 Is Flammable?Alot of things have changed since I got out of college but this is new to me :rolleyes:

Pure oxygen is HIGHLY flammable, and can cause an explosion if it builds up.

Compressed Oxygen, as a gas is not flammable, granted it will support combustion, but cannot be ignited alone

Yes, but there's enough crap in the air and environment to easily make up the third part of the "fire triangle".

I've seen compressed O2 tanks light off and kill people, not fun. Any compressed tank has the risk of explosion, but O2 adds the risk of a heat explosion.

spindlecone said:
Compressed Oxygen, as a gas is not flammable, granted it will support combustion, but cannot be ignited alone
Crack open an o2 tank in your enclosed room and light a match if you are so sure of this.

Also they sell CO2 kits that are designed to cool the intake.

Alec said:
Yes, but there's enough crap in the air and environment to easily make up the third part of the "fire triangle".

I've seen compressed O2 tanks light off and kill people, not fun. Any compressed tank has the risk of explosion, but O2 adds the risk of a heat explosion.
Alec
Am not being a pissant, I just stated a scientific fact, O2 is NOT a flammable gas, also O2 tanks will not as you say spontainiously light off, I have seen O2 tanks fall over and shear off the regulator, turn into a rocket and blow a large hole in a cinder block wall, combustion was not a factor.
Of you have an Oxy-acy tank setup for gas welding, turn on the O2 only and try to light it, cannot be done:)

MB, If I cranked open a tank of O2 and started the curtains on fire, that would be a major problem , but in the absence of ignition, O2 is harmless, end of chem class, did not mean to get yall riled
PS MB the match will burn brighter, but an explosion will not happen:)

Like I said, yes you need a fuel. O2 just makes said fuel burn much better ;)

But back on topic:
Use CO2 to cool the intake, though you wouldn't plumb it into the intake, but onto it (you don't want CO2 injected into the motor).
You can use N2O (nitrous oxide) for cooling or power boost.

Absolutely alec, was a time we used dry ice cannisters filled with acetone around the fuel rails during Sat night grudge races to cool things down.
But as I am old I am still confused, other than perhaps a typo in the orig post, was CO2 ever part of the topic?:)

Save yourself a headache and go get a Nitrous kit from NOS or NX :)

Alec. Hola?, gung hay bok choy, so you were saying?

Diesels use a propane boost. Just thought I'd throw that into the mix. Anyone want to argue the flammability of that?........didn't think so.:) Why couldn't it be used vice O2? I'm not privee to the science of diesel so I'm assuming the combustion process has something to do with it.

the propane acts as a catalyst for diesel combustion. it just makes them that much more efficient.

Maybe you could add propane, all u need is a nozle regulator hose and a tank
(j/k)

Alec said:
the propane acts as a catalyst for diesel combustion. it just makes them that much more efficient.

So it wouldn't do the same for unleaded?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alec said:

Please explain the science behind that statement.

Back