• Register Today It's free!

Ford 8.8" Coil Conversion?

Kinserin

Reaction score
City, State
Coaldale, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
Heya, I was curious if anyone has used coils in the front and rear of their Explorers, using the 8.8" axle. I've got a Dana 44 HP diff that I'll be putting in the front, and I was just curious if I should stay with leaves, or goto a 4 link rear (I believe thats what a 4 link is.. coils?). I love the idea of a 4link, but Im not quite sure how to go about doing it.. It seems like its A LOT of work, but also, it doesnt seem to hard really. Im not suspension expert, so I'd probably get most of it done in a shop here because I know a few people, but I wanted to get opinions first. And also, should I run with 35s? or will those seem small once I have a solid front axle? I was under the impression that I could lift as little as 5" with my Dana 44, so I was planning on some 35s. It'll be a DD as well as my trail rig, so it will have TruTracs front and rear, and 4.56/4.88 gears.
(Waiting on 4-X-Fab.com Transmission adapter as well, 302 is on hold for even longer)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did a quick search, and after reading a bunch of racing mumbo jumbo, I found something out, which is making me think more..

3 link |\/| and 4 link |/\|? Or am I missing something. Basically you have 2 control arms that go from the frame to the diff and then 2 upper control arms that either go (3 link) from the top of the diff to the frame, or from 2 points on the diff to the frame at one point (4 link?)? Or am I getting this all wrong.. If I understand it even the slightest, it isnt to terribly hard to design, Im just having a hard time interupting what type is what, and what I should use for my application. (DD/Trail rig, 6-8" of lift w/o body lift, and 35-38" tires)

I havent actually dont a search on our forum yet, which is my next plan.. should have been first I guess heh.

Actually a |\/| and |/\| are both 4 link. A 3 link would be | /| But a 3 link needs a track bar.

If this going to be a trail only or driven on the street also?

If your going to do it. First you will need to relocate the fuel tank. This can be done by swapping in a BII tank behind the axle.

Then the best setup is a double cross. XX Outer from the frame to the top of the diff housing. The inner links from under the tcase output to the botton of the axle tubes.

I kinda thought what I put were both 4 link setups, but I wasnt sure if I misread or not.. Thanks for clarifying though.

I'd imagine a 3 link is cheaper/easier to setup compared to a 4link, and I'd also imagine a 4 link has better flex than a 3 link.

It'll be a daily driver and a trail rig. Basically what I want is a good offroad performer, but streetable (I dont need performance on road.. It'll drive me to and from work, and to the trail and back). I was thinking of going leaves in front of my D44 because I LOVE how my brother in laws Trooper performs (was the only solid axle Trooper in Canada until recently, someone else here has one now. Its nothing new in the states though) and it has leaves in all 4 corners. But I figured I'd be different from him, and go coils in all 4 corners, mainly because of some additional ideas I have, like the coils disconnecting from the diff or frame for additional droop. So basically, Im stuck on my descision.

Leaves are cheaper, yes, but coils flex better. (Debatable by some here, I know)
Leaves are easier to set up then coils.
Coils would make me unique here, although, a solid axle on an explorer is unique and unheard of in my area..

I absolutely love the idea of having a 4 link rear with long arms in the front, mainly because the idea flows better in my head than leaves do.

If I went with coils, would I use EB coils front and back, or TJ coils? (I cant remember..) And I'd probably roll with a 4 link because its just stuck in my head, and doesnt seem to wanna go away. I'd be making the arms my self, with heim joints all around. Now, with my front end, I was thinking of something like this

| |
|\ /|
()--O----()

The V being the control arms connecting to the top of the diff and passenger side (like a TJ/XJ Long-Arm setup) and the upper set | | being the remainder of the long arm connecting to the frame via bracketry and heim joints.

The rear, Im not sure of. You said XX, and Im trying to invision it, but I cant quite grasp it. If I went with a 'simple' 4 link in the rear, would |/\| work decently? And is there a difference between |\/| and |/\| for the rear? I cant think of any off hand, but again, Im new to this somewhat.

Connect the long arms to the outside of the rear axle shafts, goto the frame via bracketry and heim joints, and the center arms connect to the tcase crossmember and to just outside of the diff housing like this..

| |
| / \ |
()----O----()

Sorta thing? If that makes sense to you.

Anyhow, I gotta cut this short(er) then I'd like, some of it may not make sense, Im kind of tired, and my sister wont leave me alone.. Disrupting my attempts at thinking.. /sigh

-Edit-

Bleh, appearntly my pictures didnt work right.. /sigh.. I'll make some high class paint versions tomorrow after work maybe, or load up 3dsm.

Coils in the rear can be done but like anything else, it's gonna take some work. You'r main obstacle is to ditch that coffin of a gas tank and find another tank to fit in the rear between the framerails.

Anything other than a double triangulated 4 link will require a panhard bar to locate the axle.

A double triangular 4 link would be XX yes?

Mcneil makes a 3 link for explorer's that does not re-locate the fuel tank, however it has trailing arms that hang pretty low, its intended use is for desert type terrain..
It uses coilovers, not coils...

You are really making alot of work for a little bit of gain IMO trying to fab up a 4 link with coils under the floor, leafs can be made to work really well on the back of an Ex, concentrate on the front....just my 02

I have a 3 Link with coils on my 1994 Explorer. It can be done, but you will need to remove the gas tank.

The gain was substantial over the leafs. I think the biggest gain for me is getting rid of the extra 3 feet of frame and body. Running leafs will not allow you to do this.

Figured I'd dig into this mainly because I have my front decided (until next week probably.. Things change, I change, and so does my mind, 6 times a day about this :D), but I guess its probably for the best. I should continue gathering parts for my front end, seeing as it wont be cheap. If I keep leaves in the rear, anyone have any suggestions for some decent flexing leaves? I know the stock ones stuff pretty decently, which I may keep depending on price, but it was either stock, or coils, because I couldnt think of anything better aside from coil overs, which I dont want to do yet.

I'll go back to my front end for a bit now. lol

63" chevys are also possibility. However they would be a bit harder to do on an explorer then they are on a ranger.

I never actually thought about finding chassis engineering books.. Which Im going to start flippin through soon. That book didnt get very good reviews at all from what I read quickly, so I'll probably skip it for now.

there was some guy here who did a 4 link with a d60 rear and 1/4 elliptical buggy springs.

You could also look into a 3 link wishbone rear (3/4 link hybrid) Look at jeep suspension long arm kits to get a better idea. teraflex makes a few good ones, along with rubicon express.

I have the chassis Engineering by herb adams, it isn't a do it this way book, but it explains the concept and determining factors requiring consideration well enough to design your own.. its not expensive and it would give good examples of the different options..

big downside is it is mostly directed at cars/racing, but it gives you the info to get in the right direction.

if you need more info than the book provides, you need to consult someone before doing anything to a DD, because you may be in over your head. IMHO

thats not an insult, just a personal concern. I agree with others about worrying about the front first, and would like to offer, figure out one axle at a time (either, the rear would actually be easier since no steering) that way you can learn it there, and save time and money on the other axle. not to mention, you dont want to get in over your head before work on monday. once again, just my opinion. plan for double your estimated cost... I would also get together enough money for a rental or arrange for a car to borrow for the week in case you can't get it back together....

good luck with your project, take alot of pictures

Back