Solved - Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Ford Explorer 5 speed conversion - Going Full Manual

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Sweet... How'd it do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sweet... How'd it do?
Wheeling was a learning experience at KS Rocks with the new set up. It did well, it was the operator that needs to do better...lol

I installed a hand throttle to help out with the climbs so the brake & clutch can be worked without removing the feet from the pedals. That should help a bunch in sticky spots.

Cool beans man... Appreciate the update. Considering another Ex, if I get it, will do a 5 speed...

so after reading thru the 17 pages it seems it would be easiest to get the ECM, engine harness and tranny harness all from the same 5speed explorer. lots of very good info in this thread. im planning on putting a 5speed in my 99 OHV but keeping the elec t-case, over this winter so im starting to look for parts and do some research...

I hope some of this info helps ya.

I have learned that the stock tach reads improper. It reads lower than it actually is by a couple hundred rpm's. A new problem to fine tune after the swap. I haven't done any research on how to fix this yet or why it has happened. I will update when I do.

Almost all OEM tach are inaccurate, but they are close enough for all but the top rpm's. If you push your engine then you need to know what the true rpm is when you get close to the redline. You know that, and I don't know how to correct for it either. I've always figured on tuning with an accurate device, and continue to see the factory tach as a dummy gauge.

Am seriously thinking of installing a '68 GTO tach to the hood. The replication models have the vacuum to keep the condensation out. They also have different back lighting to choose from. They claim to be accurate and for $280, they had better be!

That will be a project, have you already added extra gauges to the pillar and steering column?

I have a Vac gauge for the A pillar to install, but that's it. I will make a call to an auto electrical shop here and see what they think about a V-8 GM tach modified to work on a V-6 Ford :)

hey guys, had a question, figured id ask here rather than start another thread. im going full manual also, iv read this thread 4 times already lol. i called the local junk yard and they have a 99 ranger 4.0 5-speed with 1354M t-case. the guy said he would sell me the combo for 400, 450 since i dont have a core. wanted to make sure this would work. im kinda concerned about the VSS, my explorer is a 99, but i dont think the VSS is in the rear axle, im going out to double check that now. and what about the front drive shafts? i dont think the front will work will it? the guy didnt say if the ranger had the OHV or the SOHC, hopefully it has the beefier SOHC motor. thanks for the help!

hey guys, had a question, figured id ask here rather than start another thread. im going full manual also, iv read this thread 4 times already lol. i called the local junk yard and they have a 99 ranger 4.0 5-speed with 1354M t-case. the guy said he would sell me the combo for 400, 450 since i dont have a core. wanted to make sure this would work. im kinda concerned about the VSS, my explorer is a 99, but i dont think the VSS is in the rear axle, im going out to double check that now. and what about the front drive shafts? i dont think the front will work will it? the guy didnt say if the ranger had the OHV or the SOHC, hopefully it has the beefier SOHC motor. thanks for the help!

99 VSS is in the rear axle. Your stock front shaft should work just fine with the newer 99 t-case.

I don't fully understand exactly what your getting from the JY tho. Are you just getting the trans & t-case? Or the engine, trans, t-case? If the engine as well, I would stick with what you already have (ohv / sohc) for the electronics to work in harmony.

just getting the tranny/t-case. guess i should have been more specific, i was trying to hurry before work to post it haha. the guy didnt know what motor was in the ranger only that it was a 4.0, sohc or ohv. my explorer has the ohv. i didnt think the 4406 t-case used the same shaft as the 1354. i still need to get the engine harness and tranny harness from a 99ohv-5speed, karl already sent me the computer out of one. sounds like i should be good to go then. i dont recall the vss being in my rear end. i never noticed any wires, could be wrong tho, thanks

I stand corrected. The 1354 manual will need a diff front shaft than your 99 shaft. A shaft from a 95-96 off a 4405 will work, they are Double Cardan style. Sorry about that.

The rear sensor can be tricky to see, as it is on the very top of the housing towards the front. It's the ABS sensor as well, serves dble duty. When you swap the trans harness, you will see the wires going to the rear end.

All the V-6 trans output shafts are the same size and spline count. So most the t-cases will fit on them, just some wont work because of the electronics involved.

The 4406 you mentioned, is for a V-8 trans. I am not 100% sure, but the output shafts might be diff size. I need to look at a 4404 AWD input, and have a look see for myself.

The 4406 you mentioned, is for a V-8 trans. .

Typo* i meant 4405** the 4auto/4hi/4lo version.

my front shaft has the round cup on the front on the t-case, so i figured i wouldnt work. so ill need a 95-96 front shaft from the v-6's not the awd shaft then right?

being the double carden style, i wont need to buy the superlift d-shaft when i do my superlift in the spring time them right? that would be good those things are 450 bucks lol.

thanks gman!

For the lift, if you need a longer shaft, (which you prolly will) have a custom shaft built for around $100.

The AWD has the "Cup" style shaft. Just match the front output style of the newer 1354 manual t-case, for now, and your golden.

well thats good to hear, i cant wait to go pick them up lol. seems like im good to go then. my buddy happens to work at a shop that makes driveshafts, so i might be in luck there too! thanks again for the help

well i did find the vss on the rear axle, the wires are zip tied to the rubber brake line, guess i never noticed it. so ill be good to go with the tranny/t-case

well i just got back from the junk yard. got an m5od from a 99 4.0-OHV 4x4 Ranger. unfortunately it have a elec. t-case behind it.... but they had a 1354M from a 95 4.0-OHV 5speed ranger. so i got that and they both bolted right up. tranny seems to be in good condition, not all rusted up. shifter feels good. has that nice click going into each gear. t-case shifts into all gears - using pliers haha.

had a few questions for ya gman... does the 5speed still bolt up to the stock cross member? i didnt see the pug for the back up lights, IIRC it was on the drivers side of the tranny on my 96.
on the top of the tranny there is a threaded hole - looks like a line of some sort would go there.

there are two plugs on the t-case. the one is still good. the plug was cut on the truck side so the plug and wire is still good. the plug at the very back of it needs replaced, wires where cut or corroded off, looks like its a oss sensor?

thanks again for the help! cant wait till spring to put this thing in!!!

Ranger379,
Read page 16, post 316 for the reverse lights. The red sensor is for the reverse lights, and can be on either side of the trans, but most likely on the Dr side.

redconnectordrside.jpg

It will bolt up to the trans cross member just fine. You can reuse your stock trans mount if it is in good condition, but if not, just get a new one. I recommend the rubber and not the poly, the rubber dampens vibration better.

The hole your referring to, must be on the opposite side of the red plug. That is for another sensor, most likely the neutral safety switch. You don't need it, you have the switch for the clutch pedal on your 99.

The very rear 2 pin plug is for the VSS in the rear axle. You will have to repair that and splice into your old connector.

Keep us posted of how things are going for you.

ok thanks, looks like someone took the back-up sensor out of it, rock auto has em for 8 bucks, looks like it will thread into the hole i was talkin about. i ll have to get a new vss for in the t-case, no wire to slice onto. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok thanks, looks like someone took the back-up sensor out of it, rock auto has em for 8 bucks, looks like it will thread into the hole i was talkin about. i ll have to get a new vss for in the t-case, no wire to slice onto. thanks

Can you post a picture of the new trans & t-case?

I think I got mixed up on which holes your referring to. The 95 tcase needs the VSS in it, and the rear axle will just be for the ABS.

Did you get the 95 Manual trans harness? I believe your going to need it for both the VSS & the ABS.

Back