Ford explorer with so many problems please help me | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer with so many problems please help me

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
hi all,
there is a few things which need attention in my 2012 Ford Explorer 3.5L V6 and i wanted to ask if i could DIY myself..

1) the back window switch is acting up. i can roll down the windows from the front driver switch console without any problem but the back ones seem to work 2 out of 10 times...

2) when i fold the 3rd row, the left head rest will not go down itself... i have to push it down in order to fold the seats..

3) the fan blower seems to be too weak .. at Level 1 fan speed, there is hardly any air however the air compressor still works and it does blow cool air.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi all,
I just got a Ford explorer 2014 3.5L limited. the car is 40,000kms. I have tried to return the car but it was bought privately and there is no warranty or return... so now I am just trying to sort out issues as it comes.. honestly I have never seen a car with soo many problems under so little usage... some i have managed to solve and if you have those symtoms then you can use this thread to solve it. let's start

1) AirAircon flow was very low.. with level one setting, i could barely feel any air. Solved by replacing the air filter behind the glove compartment.

2) continuous clicking noise from the rear like some but or screw is loose.. Solved by oiling the tailgate lock

3) faint rattle noise from the front as if it's coming from the dash.. Solved by putting a rubber packing between the roof liner and where the windshield meets

4) the car showed "terrain management failure" and the car wouldn't move.. shortly it gave me engine check light..
Solved by switching off the car and removing the negative terminal for 5 mins...
drove all day today, it hasn't come up again .. not sure why it happened???

5) the suspension is not very "crisp".. sometimes on pot holes I can feel it's very loose... for example on a lot hole, instead of gliding over, I can sometimes hear loud thumping noise.. specially when either my left or right wheels hit separately.. any idea what I need to check for ?

6) when driving , I can hear loud roaring noise.. increases with speed.. is it the tires or the bearing making noise ?

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your 2 threads have been merged. Did you get another Explorer since you added your first post. In it you said you had a 2012 but your profile in the margin shows 2013??
If you only have the 2014, please update your profile to show 2014 Limited V6. Thank you.
For the terrain management fault have you checked to see if any trouble codes were stored? At 40k kms the bearings should not be bad but like any part they could start to fail. I would guess that a "roaring" type noise would be more of an indication of a mechanical part rather than a tire.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your 2 threads have been merged. Did you get another Explorer since you added your first post. In it you said you had a 2012 but your profile in the margin shows 2013??
If you only have the 2014, please update your profile to show 2014 Limited V6. Thank you.
For the terrain management fault have you checked to see if any trouble codes were stored? At 40k kms the bearings should not be bad but like any part they could start to fail. I would guess that a "roaring" type noise would be more of an indication of a mechanical part rather than a tire.

Peter

thanks for the reply, the car was an import. manufactured in 2013 but reg. on the road in 2014....
no i did not check for the codes... after removal of the negative terminal, will the codes still remain?

thanks for the reply, the car was an import. manufactured in 2013 but reg. on the road in 2014....
no i did not check for the codes... after removal of the negative terminal, will the codes still remain?
That means you have a 2013 Limited. It doesn't matter when it was registered. Please update your profile to show the Required Trim Level (Limited). Know which 'trim' you have can be helpful at times.
I'm not sure if codes are erased when the battery is disconnected. If it is okay now it could happen again depending on the source of the problem.
Good luck.

Peter

the thumping, its usually fixed by changing the front lower control arms, the rear bushings go bad. Also make sure the front sway bar end links aren't loose at the same time.

Is the tire tread smooth or uneven, if theyre under 50% remain I would just change them, would have to put the car on jack stands or a hoist to drive it to see if its a bearing without having to replace the tires. If the noise goes away in the air its usually the tires

That means you have a 2013 Limited. It doesn't matter when it was registered. Please update your profile to show the Required Trim Level (Limited). Know which 'trim' you have can be helpful at times.
I'm not sure if codes are erased when the battery is disconnected. If it is okay now it could happen again depending on the source of the problem.
Good luck.

Peter
It depends. 2014s could be manufactured in 2013.

Second all the things Reserved suggested to check.

It depends. 2014s could be manufactured in 2013.
That is possible considering 2013 was a short model year production but I went by what the member showed in the profile.

Peter

There’s always vehicles made the previous year, since 95% of vehicles come out before the calendar year. Both my 98s were made in 97. (Within 2 weeks of each other, actually)

There’s always vehicles made the previous year, since 95% of vehicles come out before the calendar year. Both my 98s were made in 97. (Within 2 weeks of each other, actually)
That is very true but usually when one buys a vehicle they know what year vehicle they are buying.:)

btw i am not in the states... i think this car was imported to Philippines in 2013 but it was reg. (road legal) in 2014..

thanks for the reply. i have tried the link, turns out to be a 2012 model.....
coming back to the problem, i have been to a few garage and they all swear that the suspension is perfect. they tested it by lifting the car up, moved the tires around, used a long rod to see for any loose bushings etc.... however i can still feel something is not right... there is a weird sounding thump when you hit the pothole.. sounds more like "grukkkkkk"
it usually heard when i try to go slowly on the pot hole... if i go fast, there is no sound.... i cannot hear it on a hump or uneven road. can only be heard on some potholes when i slow down.. it feels its coming from the front down end of the car and not the shockers....
also the garage say that the bearings are ok...
the only thing needs changing is the brake pad and disc brakes... but my car doesnt make any noise while braking... the roaring noise is while accelerating .

Now that you know it's a 2012, you can update your profile with 2012 (Base, XLT, Limited, etc.) so we know what you have. That can be helpful info to have at times.
Having the vehicle lifted will not be a perfect way to check the suspension in my opinion. It removes all the weight from the suspension components. If you can reproduce this noise 'on demand', perhaps you should ask a tech to ride along with you.

Peter

thanks for the reply, yes i will update the profile now... they actually lifted the car by pushing the front suspension.. (the part which is like a V joining the tire..
also i am having difficulty finding the parts for the car... do you think the suspension parts are shared by any other model ?

thanks for the reply, yes i will update the profile now... they actually lifted the car by pushing the front suspension.. (the part which is like a V joining the tire..
also i am having difficulty finding the parts for the car... do you think the suspension parts are shared by any other model ?
I'm not sure about the "shared" parts. It is based on the Taurus platform but I'm not sure if the suspension would be the same given that the Explorer is a heavier vehicle. Maybe the Edge or the Flex or Expedition. :dunno:

Peter

you should find someone in the states with a carfax account and see if they'd run your vin for you. Might be enlightening...

Just not with the help of this site in any way.

i just replaced my stock tires with 265/50/20... i noticed that the left side front and back tire pattern is facing forward while the right side front and back pattern is facing backwards.. is this a problem?? there is no "arrow" or "this side out" kind of remarks on the tire. But i have noticed that there is a lot of road noise after the tire change

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’ll effect traction control, and ABS, possibly, but will surely effect braking and performance. Get them corrected.

Back