front axle..which one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

front axle..which one?

rriicchh

Reaction score
i have not yet taken a good look at my front diff but im reading my haynes and it says i have a dana 35 ifs front . when i search the vehicle on the web it tells me it could be a dana 35, dana 28 or dana 28 components in a dana 35 housing.how do i know for sure? and i cant find specs either so which if any are lsd's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have not yet taken a good look at my front diff but im reading my haynes and it says i have a dana 35 ifs front . when i search the vehicle on the web it tells me it could be a dana 35, dana 28 or dana 28 components in a dana 35 housing.how do i know for sure? and i cant find specs either so which if any are lsd's.

If its an explorer its a D35. Depending on generation it will be a reverse rotation or normal one.

Only the rear can be a Limited Slip - not the front.

If it's an Explorer, it's a Dana-35 regardless of the year. The first-gen Explorers use a standard D35 carrier. The second-gens use a D35 IFS carrier. The side gears and axle retention is different between the two and they are not interchangeable.

I've heard the whole 'reverse-cut' thing mentioned here before, but last I heard, they were all standard rotation units in the Exploders.

I've heard the whole 'reverse-cut' thing mentioned here before, but last I heard, they were all standard rotation units in the Exploders.
Nope, TTB is HP=Reverse rotation. IFS is LP=standard rotation.

Back