Help! Hub is STUCK! Will not separate from knuckle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Hub is STUCK! Will not separate from knuckle

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Got everything off and removed with NO issues, axle nut, caliper bolts, even the hub bolts to me were easy.

Now, since early this morning, I have been out in the garage beating this hub to death trying to get it off.

There are just 3 bolts holding it to the knuckle right? I already started to push the axle in a bit so I know thats not stuck.

I have heated it for 5 minutes with a propane torch, used 1/4 bottle of WD40, dont have PB blaster handy, or id have used that, beat up and down on the studs, tried a chisel and hammer right in the crevice where the hub meets the knuckle, even put a large pipe wrench on the top of the hub, and hit it numerous times with a 2 or 3lb hammer, and NOTHING.

I even tried the method I found on YouTube, where you put one of the bolts back in the hub, and use your power steering to push an extension against the bolt. Bent 2 extensions, and got NO movement from the hub.

I am literally at my wits end, even priced out a new knuckle, but I already spent more than I can afford at the moment on both OEM hubs.

Any suggestions? I dont have another vehicle handy right now either, unfortunately. Wont until tomorrow when the girlfriend gets home. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may need a hub puller to separate it from the knuckle. See if Autozone has one in their "loan-a-tool" program.

Have heard others say some sort of sealant was used between the hub & knuckle with early 4th gen models.

I rented the hub puller but it should be called an axle pusher. I don't see any way that it would pull the hub, it just bolts to the lugs and pushes the axle in.

you are going to need heat preferably oxy acetylene but map gas will work (takes longer than oxy acetylene) and lots of penetrating oil (i used pb blaster and map gas) with a large hammer (i used a #4 ). use the heat and move it around the knuckle and hit it as hard as you can with the hammer eventually it will come loose. (use penetrating oil with heat helps)

also with the new hub put anti seize on it just in case you have to replace it again. took me a abut 1 hr heating and hitting to brake mine loose.

propane torch is not enough heat. (I tried that to start with and it would not get hot enough and i was doing this in the early spring when it was still 40 outside mapp gas will work)

A couple years ago when I replaced one of my front bearings, it took a good 2-3 hours (literally) of beating the hell out of it before it would come out.

I'm making a grocery list and having my father in law run me around this morning.

I'm getting some PB blaster, renting the slide hammer attachment for the puller from AZ, buying the maap gas torch, a large hammer (what size and type do you recommend?) and picking up an air chisel. Oh yeah and of course anti seize. Plan on giving this X to my girlfriend when it's paid off, so anti seize will be my future best friend lol.

I'm making a grocery list and having my father in law run me around this morning.

I'm getting some PB blaster, renting the slide hammer attachment for the puller from AZ, buying the maap gas torch, a large hammer (what size and type do you recommend?) and picking up an air chisel. Oh yeah and of course anti seize. Plan on giving this X to my girlfriend when it's paid off, so anti seize will be my future best friend lol.

Big torque wrench, Loctite or new locknut...........

Got all the torque specs?

Beat that sucker into submission. LOL

Good luck and let us know the results.

Big torque wrench, Loctite or new locknut...........

Got all the torque specs?

Beat that sucker into submission. LOL

Good luck and let us know the results.

I ended up FINALLY getting it off early yesterday! I had my father in law run me to Autozone where I rented the slide hammer attachment and PB Blaster, and then Lowe's where I picked up a 4lb hammer, air hammer with extra attachments, and another tank of propane (Couldnt justify spending $55 on a Map gas tank and head).

I got home, attached the slide hammer, hit it hard enough again to where the Explorer was rocking, and I was worried about it coming off the stands, so I took the air hammer, set it up, boy was that thing a joke (Stay away from the Kobalt model for $30), so then I took the $20 hammer, and hit the flange where the lug nuts are, from the back (Thats really about the only thing you can hit, unless youre using a chisel and hitting where the knuckle and hub meet), and after about 3 or 4 good blows, it started to separate. Jesus I was like a kid on Christmas morning LOL!

Then I hit it like twice with the slide hammer again and it finally came out. Repeated the process on the other side, and was done from start to finish in less than an hour, and that was taking my time, stopping for a drink, let the dogs out, etc.

Hopefully when someone else has the same problem, they'll search and find this thread. BUY A BIGGER HAMMER! Seriously, that's ALL I needed. After holding the 4lb hammer, im thinking the one I had was only 1 or 2 pounds.

I will post pictures later when I go out in the garage, I would be willing to put money on it that I win the award for most rust. Gotta loooooove Michigan winters :mad:

I know that feeling when it finally starts moving I also know the Michigan rust specifically Northern Lower Michigan.

I used a 20 pound sledge. I don't know what that black goo is, but its the best darn glue I've ever come across.

Back