Front Power Seat Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trainmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Rockaway Beach NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Expr Ltd; 2016 XLT
My six-way passenger seat in my 2010 stopped going up and down. It was frozen at the highest level. The seat has three motors controlling screws through small plastic gearboxes. None of it's intended to be serviced. A replacement "seat pedestal" is a $950 part.

Common problems with these are broken gears which are made of nylon. They are a beast to change, requiring probably three hours' work and lots of cutting and taking apart things that aren't supposed to be taken apart. Magnets in the motors are also epoxied to their housings and sometimes come loose and stick to the armature, Of course the switch is also replaceable.

I had initially ruled out the switch because pressing it resulted in a click from the respective motor. Don't be fooled. The motor is operated by reversing the polarity of the ungrounded motor supply. For some reason, my problem turned out to be the switch, even though the switch did cause some action from the motor. A $30 fix.

So don't rule out the switch when troubleshooting, even if you get clicking out of the motors when you press the buttons.

Back