Front Torsen L/S coming this summer! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Torsen L/S coming this summer!

jaysend5.0

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger
I just got an email from torsen I thought I would share with you guys!

I wrote:
Hello,

I am a big fan of your differentials. I know there are a few one offs / prototype units floating around for the dana 35 front application found in 98-08 Rangers and 94+ explorers and Many of the Dodge Dakota's (market!) I was wondering if you have any plans to make them for the public? I for one would buy one to replace my aussie locker in a heartbeat!

Thank You,

They wrote:

Yes, we were to launch them last year but ran into snags along the way. We hope to get a Torsen version of the Dana 35 out to market summer of 2008. Check our website for updated information when the unit is officially released.

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They do make a Torsen for the D-35, but it's not for the IFS axle yet. The TTB D-35 center can use the one they have currently. Apparently the difference is in the center gears that engage the axle shafts on the IFS axle. They need to have a groove machined into them to accept the circlip that holds the axle shafts into them. Otherwise the axle shafts will walk right out of the housing.

-Joe

Um yeah the ttb 35 has a ton of options. The newer 35 is a different animal, thus the excitement of a torsen for us 95+ (explorer) and 98+ (ranger)
As of now our options for front traction are:
Aussie full on lunchbox locker or quaife custom $1500 formula one style l/s.

Even with the groove machined I am pretty sure that the differential will not physically fit into the much smaller ifs housing. People have been trying to machine arbs and trutracs and such with very little results.

Torsen does make one for the newer style it has gone to race teams and sean over at offroadrangers, the ranger in fourwheeler mag. They have always said that if enough interest was shown in the product via their distributors they would make them. So apparently my email a day to reider, randys, ect... and many others has paid off.

any news when it will out, I am stuck with an Open Differential on my Sportrac and NEED more traction. help.

There is a guy over at offroadrangers.com that works for torsen. He confirmed the email but added that it will most likely be longer than summer. I got the impression august was the likely release.

If you need traction asap, the aussie locker is available. It is a full locker which I have learned is a blessing and a curse.

Back