• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Removal

phouse

Reaction score
City, State
Phila PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I am trying to remove the fuel filter, from under the truck.. I can't seem to remove the lines.. I have replaced fuel filters before.. Is there something special with these filters... I have removed the metal clips, I tought that the lines would have just slipped off after that... Maybe they are just stuck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope, it's not that easy (at least not on the 95+, but this may be the way it works for yours too). You need a special tool to release the lines. The fuel filter tubes have little "humps" on them. The lines on the truck have a spring loaded catch that hooks these humps. Go here and read a little bit, I've described the process: Dead Link Removed

Thanks, I should have checked that first.. Anybody know where to buy the tool from...?

Think I got mine from AutoZone, or Napa. Probably Napa.

Don't forget to relieve the pressure in the fuel line before disconnecting the filter! If not, you will get a gasoline shower!

Does Anyone know what the proper name for the fuel filter removal tool is.. I guess that's what it's called..
I got some hinge pins for the door.. It said 94 - 98 F150 I hope that it works.. Th guy at Auto Zone didn't know.
I have to go and buy a die grinder to grind off the bottom of the pin to remove it..

Same tool as a/c lines use . a/c and fuel line tool NAPA sells them there is a couple of different sizes.

I got the tool from Pepboys, can't remember the brand, but it was specifically labeled for 91 - ? Ford Explorer fuel filter removal. About $4. It seems to me that the Pepboys stores have more items on the shelf than the other big name auto parts stores here so now I go there for just about everything.

Back