Fuel Filter Replacement. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement.

The clips is fine.I dont know how to explain it.... it goes in but stops before it can click into place... i checked three places to make sure i had the right filter.
I heard you can cut the Mesh hose off and replace it with a rubber hose made for fuel injected vehicles? Is this true?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you cut it open yet? I'm curious to what the inside looks like after so long.

Worst design Ive ever seen of a fuel filter... I completely changed the set up with compression fittings.. I now buy a filter for 7250 Case International tractor for my replacements.. takes me longer to get the shield off than it does to disconnect the and change the filter..Best thing I ever done to it.... I could not get mine to release with every different style tool they sell.... I took a hack saw to it

I agree... Not sure what te motive was to making this locking system that wreaks of issues.. on a fuel line no less.
going with a flare fitted filter, not a bad idea.

Thanks

I know it's an old thread but the info on this site is invalueable, I busted a clip today but was able to get one with the P/N here.

Thanks
Louie.

old fuel filter

to nooberiffic,
After ten plus years and 200,000 plus miles of never being able to figure out how to take the fuel filter off i finally bought a tool and it came right off as instructed. I had to cut it in half to see what it looked like inside after so many miles and years????????????? To my suprise it looked like it was 6 months old and could go for another 200,000? Go figure huh? I wish I had taken a picture of it, you would not believe it.

I guess in 35 years of working on cars, I only remember one filter getting so bad that it impacted performance. Weird one, ford contour, I happened to add a can of seafoam to the tank and the weather went below freezing, something reacted with something else and it quit starting when it was below freezing. Replaced the filter thinking it had water in it. It had some dark blue goop.

I guess in 35 years of working on cars, I only remember one filter getting so bad that it impacted performance. Weird one, ford contour, I happened to add a can of seafoam to the tank and the weather went below freezing, something reacted with something else and it quit starting when it was below freezing. Replaced the filter thinking it had water in it. It had some dark blue goop.

That is a weird one. dark blue... what color do they die off road deisel?

The symptoms I'd guess bad ethanol blend gas, added the seafoam and it put the icing on the cake. (water seperation + more alcohol). Idk just a thought.

I changed my filter late last summer and was just curious as to what the purpose of unplugging the inertia switch is?

That turns off the fuel pump which lets you release pressure by running the vehicle without the fuel pump.

If you have a Fuel pressure tester, you can just use that to release the pressure..

In short, get the pressure out of the lines before you disconnect it or you will get full all over everything, including yourself.

~Mark

Holy Thread Revival Batman!

That is a weird one. dark blue... what color do they die off road deisel?

The symptoms I'd guess bad ethanol blend gas, added the seafoam and it put the icing on the cake. (water seperation + more alcohol). Idk just a thought.

Off Road diesel is dyed red. The blue goop he is talking about is probably particulate matter and other additives to the fuel that gathered over the years or oil (however it would have gotten in the fuel would be a mystery). But, someone could have put the wrong additive in the fuel at some point that the Seafoam could have diluted enough for the fuel pump to pick up. You never know.

Seafoam and ethanol blends wouldn't cause that otherwise. Seafoam will sometimes mix with heavier fluids that are at the bottom of a tank and cause them to be suspended in the lighter gasoline, which would then cause it to get trapped in the fuel filter.

fuel filter replacment

Changed the fuel filter on my 94 explorer . was a bear to get the back side
off . the old filter when I dumped the gas out .the gas was like oil . (black )
Cant get the Ex to start right . Week end project

does my 91 ford xlt have fuel injection

Yes, AND, the 1991 1992 use "batch fire" style of fuel injection.. You also have the filter that is being talked about in this thread..

If you have more questions about the fuel system (not about the fuel filter) start a new thread in this forum so your questions and the answers don't get lost in this thread.

~Mark

Back