Fuel Pump replacement tips

SteveVB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Rubicon w/stuff
Ok I dropped the tank on my Navajo to replace the fuel pump assembly today. I had a bad sender.
So Ill pass these tips along FWTW

1. when you buy the pump assembly buy a new locking ring- mine was rusted beyond reuse, and after I was finished beating on it even if it wasnt rusty I couldnt have used it. I should have thought about this before I started... next time.!

2. Getting the fuel lines off the tank- I dropped the tank and had a difficult time getting the fuel line fitting tool in the fitting. Out come the tin snips and off come the lines- I cut the tubes coming out of the pump assembly right at the base. pulled the tank out to install the pump. Then I was able to get back under the truck and see the mud and dirt that had built up in the fitting - cleaned it out and popped the fittings off what was left of the supply and return tube.

Tapping on the bell of the fuel line connector will usually loosen most of the mud. Follow with a rinse of WD40 directly into the bell area. Rotating the release tool as you push it in against the spring also helps.

A good shot with compressed air can speed things up, too - don't forget the safety glasses.

Back