• Register Today It's free!

Gear Indicator problem

Driverccc

Reaction score
City, State
Indio, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer xlt
Has anyone had this problem? It's in park but the stick always shows in between P and R but very close to R now.
When i put it in drive, it goes a bit passed D. Everything functions, more of a tired of seeing problem :help:
Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before and how do i go about fixing. I do noticed when changing gears, the lever feels pretty hard but it's been like this ever since I got it 2years ago so idk if that's normal or not:feedback:
Transmission is good, no problems there

20190918_085202.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope this helps.

Very common problem

okay so that covers the adjustment of the little orange indicator arrow, but the OP also said the shift lever feels very "hard"

You may need to replace your column shifter bushings, not hard to do

Also if the cable is "stiff" you can try lubing it with some PB blaster or the like (down by the transmission)
I have a 2000 E350 van and the cable shifter was getting more and more stiff with time, I started to lube the shifter mechanism and cable down at the transmission with PB blaster, now it is loose like stock and shifts smoothly.

Has anyone had this problem? It's in park but the stick always shows in between P and R but very close to R now.
When i put it in drive, it goes a bit passed D. Everything functions, more of a tired of seeing problem :help:
Just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before and how do i go about fixing. I do noticed when changing gears, the lever feels pretty hard but it's been like this ever since I got it 2years ago so idk if that's normal or not:feedback:
Transmission is good, no problems there

View attachment 173907

I took the liberty of editing the thread title for future searching, since this is a Gear indicator problem,

original title was shift lever problem.

Hello,

have a little optical problem with my shift indicator of my 96 Ford Explorer V6 SOHC.
The letters slowly lost their white color and the black color of this display lost the color too.
The backsite ist blue, think Ford produced this blue backsite only from 96-97.
Still had a new NOS/OEM part, but the backsite is green, looks not so good
in this dash.
IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2716.JPG

Did anyone knew the original part number of the indicator with blue backsite?
Maybe a hint or link?
Thanks in advance

Wolfgang IMG_2715_.jpg

This part number / one is different from the one you have shown and and is compatible on our early 2nd gens : F67Z-7A110-AC
So we could speculate this is the one you want. Contact a seller and ask if they will shine a flashlight behind it and let you know if it displays in blue or green....

Thank you for this part-number F67Z-7A110-AC, will try to get in contact with a seller,
hope not discontinued part.

Wolfgang

Thank you for this part-number F67Z-7A110-AC, will try to get in contact with a seller,
hope not discontinued part.

Wolfgang
No chance to get information from Ford or OEM sellers,
discontinued part, poor perspective...

Wolfgang

Back