• Register Today It's free!

gears and lockers

bigorange440

Reaction score
City, State
ABBOTSFORD B.C
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 EXPLORER LIMITED
im about to do my lift and i want to do gears and lockers on the truck at the same time...i was wondering what gears and what kinda locker i should run...its a 94 limited with a auto 4 now but i wanna do the 5 speed conversion soon, its gonna have 33s on it and the motor is stock.... i was thinking 456 gears and maybe the aussie lockers..and how much will it kill my fuel milage with the tires and gears???..any imput would be great ...thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.56 with 33s will be nice. You'll have a little more bottom end than you do right now stock. You won't notice much difference in mpg if at all. From what I've heard, everyone is happy with the Aussie Locker. Sounds like a good plan. How high are you going with the lift?

i got a 4 inch suspension lift but im also going to use the f150 spacers ..so about 5.5......im hopeing the 33 fit niceley

The 33s will fit fine with just the 4". This is my old one when I first put the Trail Master 4" on it with 33s on 15x8 w/3.75 backspacing.

You can fit 35s with 5.5". Look for Bkennedy, that's what he has right now.

1600explorerlift33-med.jpg

sweet looks good......

when i go to 4.56's with my 33's im expecting around 14 mpg, much better than the 10 i get with 33's and 3.73's. AS far as lockers, it depends on how much you plan on wheeling. If its a pavement princess with the occasional muddy field, detriot ez locker may be the way to go. For more use id go with a powertrax or aussie locker. If you wheel like a crazy **** but still drive street alot, id go with an ARB or a detriot trutrac.

sn0border88 said:
when i go to 4.56's with my 33's im expecting around 14 mpg, much better than the 10 i get with 33's and 3.73's. AS far as lockers, it depends on how much you plan on wheeling. If its a pavement princess with the occasional muddy field, detriot ez locker may be the way to go. For more use id go with a powertrax or aussie locker. If you wheel like a crazy **** but still drive street alot, id go with an ARB or a detriot trutrac.

WOW 10mpg was it alwasy that hard on fuel or did the tires kill it that much...im getting about 17mpg with 31s.....

4.56's with 33's.

Detroit rear. ARB front.

well, i know its mainly the tires and lift but i think there are some other factors as well, just dont know what yet.

FROADER said:
You can fit 35s with 5.5". Look for Bkennedy, that's what he has right now.[/img]
But I have 6" Skyjacker coils up front and I had to trim the rear of the front fenders. 5:13 gears, ARB front, Detroit rear.
3817TDS_2005_108_.jpg

I really love that push button front locker, only on when you want.

I have the Auburn ECTED electric selectable in the rear. Works great, and it's nice to be able to disengage it. :thumbsup:

Back