George Washington National Forest June 2009 Run | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

George Washington National Forest June 2009 Run

look like a fun but easy trail:thumbsup: what is the most difficult spot there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would not call it an easy trail. If you stay on the main trail and take the easy line it is not to bad, but I would not recommend stock unless the driver has lots of experience. We did the first bypass. It was definatly not easy. You will not make it without traction devices front and rear, and know how to drive on rocks. Plenty of loose cobles, some 18" ledges.

i thought people said you could take a mostly stocker out and do just fine. Or is there easy/ trails, and harder trails devided?? Might have to do some mods to mine before i go out and try it out..

The last time I was on that trail was in 2006 and we had a stock Dodge Durango and a couple of Explorers on 31s and it was no real problems.

well my axle dont have locker but they have system that if one starts to spin the other grabs would that work fine up there ? other then that i have great articulation

Without traction devices you wold do fine on the main trail. You will not make the obsticles, and alternate routes with open differentials.

so lockers are a must?

Lockers are not required, but if you do the obsticles and alternate routes, open axles will not get you through the roughest terrain.

so for the boys that have stockers, on the main trails were gold, butttttttt, if we venture off the worn path, bring a buddy and some straps,,lol so who's up for some fun??

so for the boys that have stockers, on the main trails were gold, butttttttt, if we venture off the worn path, bring a buddy and some straps,,lol so who's up for some fun??

sounds like a challenge to me im up for it but first gotta put a good clutch and better engine and some new rear springs in mine or a wont go any wherebut it should be ready for the first spring run next year :thumbsup: ill keep an eye on here for the date and here is a link to my rig let me know if ya think how it will do

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252924

and here is a vid of what it will do
th_SANY0301.jpg

so will i be ok?

Can someone post some links to youtube videos showing the hard parts of these trails? Those trails in the pics look kind of boring...

sounds like a challenge to me im up for it but first gotta put a good clutch and better engine and some new rear springs in mine or a wont go any wherebut it should be ready for the first spring run next year :thumbsup: ill keep an eye on here for the date and here is a link to my rig let me know if ya think how it will do

so will i be ok?

Your truck looks pretty capable but I have to ask, why did you swap in a D35 rather than an 8.8? Just about the same width but huge strength difference...

Your truck looks pretty capable but I have to ask, why did you swap in a D35 rather than an 8.8? Just about the same width but huge strength difference...

bacsicly to keep the gears matched but an 8.8 is on the way ;) i have a friend that refuses to listen to me that his 8.8 on his explorer is stronger then the d35 and he wants to swap em so i was ok :D :p: and if i have to re gear ill regear both with bigger gears :cool:

bacsicly to keep the gears matched but an 8.8 is on the way ;) i have a friend that refuses to listen to me that his 8.8 on his explorer is stronger then the d35 and he wants to swap em so i was ok :D :p: and if i have to re gear ill regear both with bigger gears :cool:

Your friend is going to hate you

Your friend is going to hate you
lol yeah if we do it i aint sure yet we gotta see if my rear gears match the gears in the front axle he is puttin under his but like i told him it would be best to keep the 8.8 and re gear it i can always go to the junkyard but oh well

A Ford 8.8 from an Explorer is way stronger than a D-35, it is stronger than a D-44. The Explorer has a 31-spline axle and carrier. The 95-2001 has disc brakes. Bottom line, the 8.8 is the holy grail of mid-size off-roaders.

A Ford 8.8 from an Explorer is way stronger than a D-35, it is stronger than a D-44. The Explorer has a 31-spline axle and carrier. The 95-2001 has disc brakes. Bottom line, the 8.8 is the holy grail of mid-size off-roaders.

My jeep...notice the lack of d35...
jeepgreendiff.jpg

It's only on 33s so theoretically I will have a hard time breaking that axle.

well aint gettin the friends 8.8 after all:mad: oh well junkyard has plennty :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha. around here i got my 8.8 for $120 with complete brakes.

thats not bad well i worked out a deal with my friend he needs upper control arms for his sas and well i have the ones he wants and i want new ones any way and a have 3:55 gear and well his 8.8 is 3:55 but the axle he just put up front is 3:73 so im tradin him my upper control arms for his 8.8 haha:D i just have to but new control arms ... oh well planned on it any ways :thumbsup:

Back