• Register Today It's free!

Given a Project

Drg racr

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 2WD
My wife's cousin gave me a 2000 Ford Explorer 4x4. It's a clean truck with over 330K miles on it. I'm gonna rebuild it for my teen daughter. The head gaskets are blown but it still runs. With all these miles, I'm thinking its better to just reman the motor.
Would it be better to rebuild what I have or buy a new long block? Finding a low mileage motor would be like finding a needle in a haystack I'm sure. I also wanna coax a few more ponies out of the SOHC V6.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you have access to another cousin with an engine machine shop buying a re-manufactured long block is going to the lowest cost direction.

Put a reman engine in it. They almost all come with a warranty (parts and labor).

Well, I got it home. It's not as clean as he said, but its not bad. Inside is very dirty, very little rust outside. It has the 4.0L OHV motor. I got it running, but shakes and misses, and no antifreeze in it. The 4x4 doesn't have a 2WD option; it has auto, 4x4 and 4x4 Low. I'm guessing its a full time 4x4?
I'm not sure if its worth replacing the motor or not. If not, there's a LOT of useable parts on this truck!! I'll have to run the door tag, but it is an XLS, and has 4 wheel disc brakes. The axle code is D4. White with grey cloth interior.

I think if I was looking for a car for a teenage daughter, this would be near the bottom of my list. It's big and heavy, which means she can do a lot of damage with it. It's a high profile vehicle that doesn't exactly hold the ground well, and is prone to rolling over if not handled properly. Also a gas hog no matter how you slice it. Plus all of those seats means that her friends are going to push her to be their chauffeur. And finally it's got 330k, so she has a good chance of getting stuck somewhere (engine, trans, electrical, suspension, etc...).

JMO, but find her a good 150k Ford Focus or something!

Well, since it was free I thought it was doable. I have a 2001 Explorer 2WD that's our daily driver. She really wants that one, so maybe I'll get another driver.

It is NOT an All-Wheel-Drive if it has the dash-mounted 4X4 controls mentioned. AWD has no controls. imp

got it. So Auto is just 2WD.

Exactly, Auto is just 2wd unless you are driving in slippery conditions which could cause it to automatically send power to all four wheels.

AUTO is RWD unless rear wheel slippage is sensed, then the front wheels are engaged AUTOMATICALLY, which frankly is annoying, hence "the brown wire mod" which turns this feature off.

If I do an engine swap, what years interchange with my 4.0L OHV engine?

AUTO is RWD unless rear wheel slippage is sensed, then the front wheels are engaged AUTOMATICALLY, which frankly is annoying, hence "the brown wire mod" which turns this feature off.

FINALLY, we got it right! Thank you! imp

Im thinking of parting it out now. I don't have time for another project right now.

Back