Going all the way with 35's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Going all the way with 35's

Paco

Reaction score
I have looked and looked and looked and looked and i could not find a thread that could help me enough. I have a 2wd 1998 explorer sport. I am going to be putting 35's on in the near future. I have thought about 33's, but then i know i will want bigger tires than that, so, im going with 35/12.5's. This i have already made my decision. The part i don't know about is the lift. Tell me if this will work or not. Also, i do know that you aren't supposed to do the torsion bar twist and a suspension together, but i have been told that if i do a lift spindle for the front i should be ok.

Front:
3 inch body lift
1 inch torsion bar? maybe...
3 inch lift spindles from explorer pro comp
= 7 inches of lift for the front

Rear:
Warrior shackles 1.5 inches
Hopefully an add-a-leaf (replace mono-leaf) ?3? inches?
3 inch body lift,
= 7.5 inches of lift in the rear

Now for the rear i would like to know my options,
what can i do? Is it possible to do add-a-leaf package with 2 inch springs from OME AND the warrior shackles? If so i could get a whole bunch more from the rear lift, perhaps 8 inches?

Now for the add-a-leaf deal, i understand i have to get a whole new pack of leafs, where do i find these and how much are they?

Is it possible to twist the torsion bar to get 1 inch
AND do the body lift AND do the lift spindles?

If you find anything wrong with my setup i would LOVE to know. If you don't think this can be done to fit 35's i want your input. If you find that i am the biggest retard on earth please tell me that as well. If i am a total embarrasent to this website, tell me that too.

In terms of powering the 35's, im getting the supercharger (instacharger) when it comes out from explorer express for the sohc engine. I am also going to change my gears to 4.10 and at this time i will be adding in a no-slip locker (not sure yet about this).

I look forward to your input whether it be insulting or not.

Paco (travis)

[Edited by Paco on 01-11-2001 at 05:42 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you may be asking for trouble. In my mind you will be stacking one type on top of the other and will greatly affect you're ride. It's like taking one block on the table compared to three blocks on the table...which one is easier to flick over?? You also may be pushing it to try to put 35 on a 7 inch lift. You may be able to, but it will be close. Add some new fenders and I'd say you're safe then. I would skip the add-a-leaf and get a new set of springs. You'd be pushing it to get 3' with add-a-leaf

Thanks a lot i appreciate it.

What is the best way to get lift in the rear then?

I just had a thought, would it be possible to use the trailmaster suspension for the rear, and then the explorer pro comps lift spindles for the front?

i would do some sort of spring over axle with a new spring pack but there is no reason why the trailmaster leafs would not work so thats another option.

Could someone please tell me exacly what i need to do or research? I want a bomb-proof design b4 i make my moves :)

well..i could be wrong, but i was under the im presstion that the procomp spindles were only for 2wd, not 4wd. Like i said, i could be wrong.

since you have torsion bars, the only way to get lift out of it, besides the torsion twist, is to physiaclly move the torsion bar mounting point down. There is a guy on here that got tired of waiting for trailmaster to come out with thier late model lift, and had a shop modify the ranger lift to work with the exploder. NOT CHEAP!! had a lot of custom fab work done to it. Now that i think about it, Ray Lobato did the conversion from the ranger lift too...you might want to hunt him down and pick his brain for info.

View

either way..GOOD LUCK!

In the picture above...What type of lift is it? Shackles...T twist...Add-leafs...Body....What size tires are those? The truck looks nice.

I have 2wd and i need to raise it at least ten inches. This is the only question i have. How do i lift it ten inches? How? If someone could give me an awsome answer i would be extremely happy. Thats it, How do i lift a 1998 explorer sport 2wd ten inches? There has to be a way, i know Oknut did some custom lift in order to get what 20 inches? I know part of that was custom. Money is not an issue. I just want the lift and thats it. 35's come next :). If ten inches isn't possible, how could i fit 35's then? That is my goal. To fit 35's with as much lift as possible. I get inspiration from Brian Green :). I just wish there was a lift kit for our late model explorers. They have a six inch skyjacker lift for 91-94 2wd explorers. I wish it could be that easy for us. The 6inch lift with a 3inch body and you can do 35's. But, its not that way with our explorers (98-00). Help me please! This cash is begging to be spent. And NO, im not going to sell it and by a 4x4. I have a 2x4 and thats what ill keep.

thanks
travis

Hey Paco good luck with this one. You can do whatever you put your mind to. Thanks for the plug from your above post. If you are ready to spend the money then you shouldnt have any problems. Where is it that you are located?

Thanks Sin.

Thanks for the support. But can anyone clue me in on how what parts i should do the lift with?

thanks
travis

Ok, i think i have this now. Tell me if im stupid or not.

Front:
3 inch spindle from explorer pro comp
3 inch body lift
1.5 cranking of the torsion bars

Rear:
3 inch body lift
4 inch skyjackerleaf pack (brian green said it is in existence)
1.5-2 inch warrior shackles

Front: 7.5
Rear: 8.5-9

Sound good anyone? Oh yeah, if anyone knows about that skyjacker leaf pack i would love to know. Anyone know bout how much it costs?

thanks
travis

On the national tire web site, under the leaf spring section, they have a 4" and a 6" leaf spring. Would this be possible with a 1998 explorer sport 2wd?

travis

The new springs form Skyjacker will run you around $300. Here's a link to 4wheelparts.com that shows the price list for the springs. Dead Link Removed

If money isn't an issue, maybe someone makes a lift for a 99+ 2wd Ranger that could be modified to fit yours?? I couldn't find one on the 4wheelparts.com website, but they don't always show all the products for the companies.

But they say for the 91-94. Will it fit my 1998 2wd sport? Now remember i have a mono leaf and im looking to replace the whole leaf pack, not add anymore on.

travis (paco)

Paco The website that Rock sent you is great! I know it says for 91-94 but these springs should work with no Problem on your newer model. If i am correct these are these springs that Ray L. went with on his new model. Hope that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So instead of using the shackles, i can use the 6 inch leaf springs and a body lift to get 9 inches???? I am so happy if this is true!

Back