Got a few codes, very rough idle stalling HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a few codes, very rough idle stalling HELP!

specialized7

Reaction score
City, State
saskatoon
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 SPORT
Well this is my second time taking the truck to the shop. Its a 99 sport with the ohv 4.0.
Anyways the cel has been on for a month or so and just 2 days ago i started it all was good but when i shifted into drive , the rpms dropped and it was shaking like crazy.
anyways im in the drive threw and it stalls on me, but starts up fine. so i call my mechanic and he says bring it in ill run the codes so he does and this is what he told me.
o2 sensor
cylinder 4 misfire
system bank 2 lean
oxygen sensor

anyways he said the misfire could be a bad plug.
but he is going away until the 19th and i really want to drive this thing and i dont get paid for another week.
will i hurt anything if i drive it?
i have my moms 00 explorer to drive if i have to but its not lifted and feels like a soccer mom suv so i dont really like driving it.

Im thinking of just putting new plugs in and seeing if that helps any but what about the oxygen sensor?
i have no idea where it is and what not.
i really dont even know where to start please help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

say if i change plugs/wires, and the misfire is gone.
What will happen if the oxygen sensor and 02 sensor are bad?
just gas mileage or what?

ok someone just told me that an oxygen sensor and 02 sensor are the same?

ok someone just told me that an oxygen sensor and 02 sensor are the same?

Same..

No problem with driving around with a bad O2 sensor for a while, you just suffer with gas mileage and its hard on your cats.

Also what are the exact codes? Codes don't always implicate a part. It has to be diagnosed.

im not sure what the exact codes were he just said that this is what each one ment.
im going to buy new plugs and wires and hope to god it fixes the misfire.
But im also wondering why would it only misfire at idle?
if its revved up it doesnt feel like its missing unless i just can notice it.
but when my buddys 4 cylinder honda was misfiring it sounded like a lawnmower

I had a rough idle and it turned out to be a blown intake gasket. the coolant was getting into the plugs and causing 2 misfires.

i would check the IAC (Idle Air Controller), myne does the same thing especially if i put it into drive it idles really low but does not stall, however it does stall sometimes when i put it into park.

I had a rough idle and it turned out to be a blown intake gasket. the coolant was getting into the plugs and causing 2 misfires.

i had the upper and lower intake gasket replaced and then all was good for a month.then this happened so im really not sure, maybe they screwed it up

i have looked at the iac, it looks like it has been replaced not to dirty inside there.

i had the upper and lower intake gasket replaced and then all was good for a month.then this happened so im really not sure, maybe they screwed it up

could be then. best way is to check and see if there is any fluid when you go to change the plugs. if you're still going that route.

im def going to change plugs and wires asap.
is the 02 sensors hard to change?
he said it was behind the cat i believe?
also i really smells like gas around the truck and it seems to be spitting gas or water out the exhaust pipe would this be because of the misfire?
also which cylinder is the 4th cylinder?

im def going to change plugs and wires asap.
is the 02 sensors hard to change?
he said it was behind the cat i believe?
also i really smells like gas around the truck and it seems to be spitting gas or water out the exhaust pipe would this be because of the misfire?
also which cylinder is the 4th cylinder?

02 sensors arent hard to change. there a b*tch to get to. if you know the right one to replace then go for it. as for the the fluid in the exhaust it is most likely water. cylinder 4 should be the first cylinder on the drivers side. (standing in front of the engine with you facing towards hte car.

Thanks man, im going to look into it tomorrow after work.
wow there are alot of threads with idling issues

Misfire code first

I suggest that you concentrate on correcting the misfire code first. Cylinder #4 is the left (driver side) front cylinder. When you change the spark plugs see if the one in cylinder #4 looks different than the rest.

If it's been more than 30,000 miles since you replaced your fuel filter I suggest you do so and then add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to your fuel tank. You may have a clogged injector causing the misfire. You may want to see my thread Engine Misfire Procedure. Click on "My Helpful Threads" in my signature for a link to the procedure.

hey thanks for the info, i picked up a fuel filter about 3 monthes ago. still havent put it on. im gonna take it to the shop change the filter run a bit of lucas injector cleaner threw it and ill pull all the plugs and wires.
i will report back if the problem persists.
thank alot guys

UPDATE!
Changed the fuel filter,plugs, wires and the rear 02 sensor.
You wouldnt believe it ,It had Bosch platiunum 4 plugs and one of the little resistors thing inside the plug was broken off , i now know why they have those 4 things on them so when it breaks off those hold it in.I replaced with motocraft platinum plugs and not sure on the brand of wires.
Truck runs very smooth now, my idle is fixed
i will post pics of the broken plug, couldnt believe it.
Still have a CEL after pulling the neg off the battery so i will scan it again.
Thanks for your help!!

forgot to add i also changed my passenger window switch, it was a breeze didnt think it would be that easy.
ALSO checked my axle tag and infact i do have a 42 which means an open 4.10, so how much does a locker cost?

Back