Got a ticket for my lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Got a ticket for my lights

Is it true that you must have covers on your offroad lights at all times? If so, what the hell is the point of the lights if you can't use them.

I also got a ticket for not having a front license plate. But what about all those Jaguars and Benz that don't even have a front license mount.

I got my ticket after they realized that I didn't really do anything wrong, trafficwise, so the damn cops proceeded to inspect my vehicle for violations. They even told me to roll up my window to check for tinted windows, even though they took my keys so I couldn't roll em up. Also, my ExSport has those rear passenger windows that aren't tinted, so WHY THE HELL WOULD I TINT MY FRONT WINDOWS if my middle windows aren't tinted!!!

Sorry, I just hate cops. They antagonize you because they have nothing else better to do and they've never been a help to me when I really needed them.

Any good cop stories you'd like to share???

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can't use offroad lights for highway/city driving, that's why they're called offroad lights. They are brighter than normal lights, and you probably blinded the poor sap

Some states do require that offroad lights be covered, you just gotta know the law.

About the plate, many states have that law too; and I know plenty of people who've gotten tickets for it.

OH AND CAN WE PLEASE NOT HAVE A COP-BASHING THREAD!

thanks ;)

in canada you dont have to have covers on lights, just cant have them on when driving in residential areas. i keep my covers on cause i like the look of them

It's true, you have to have off-road lights covered at all times.
And regarding the liscence plates, it depends on the state. In Illinois it's front and rear, but since my truck was bought in Delaware, where they only use the rear plates, I don't have a front plate holder. They can't force you to alter an OEM vehicle. I only received a ticket for it once, but I went to court with the original paperwork and they let me go. And I have friends who drive either Mercedes or Jaguar and they have front and rear plates. Maybe the cars you're seeing were ordered without them, or brought from another state.

Regardless though, from the tone of your story, I think you may have been less than appologetic when you were pulled over. These guys deal with bull all day long, and if you show them even the slightest disrespect, deal with the fact that they're gonna take some anger out on you. However, if you're disgustingly nice, and appologize profusely, 9 times out of 10, they're going to be nice back, and will usually let you go.

Originally posted by OneBadExpSport
Sorry, I just hate cops. They antagonize you because they have nothing else better to do and they've never been a help to me when I really needed them.

Ah yes, this very well could lead to another joyous cop bashing thread :rolleyes: Well infact, I'm sure if you looked at the state statues, then infact if you are breaking the law, it's their job to ticket the offenders, regardless of the offense. Officers have disgression as well, and within that, there can be leeway... Oh lets see, what else. My guess is if they were hassling you, you weren't being the best of all to them, but this is only an assumption. Respect is held in highest regards by police officers and many times this influences what the outcome of the stop will be. I can go for awhile on this, but I'm not. Bottom line, you did break a law, and got caught. Maybe you caught the officers on a bad day, and therefore it just wasn't in your favor.
Pete

I was VERY nice to them. I was courteous and did as I was told and didn't bad mouth them at all. Also, I only use the lights when I'm trailing. The cops never saw me use the lights. They pulled me over because I turned into the wrong trail, which they told me was private property though there weren't any signs stating so and I had no intention of loitering around since it was gated down the trail.

Brian

as far as the front license plate thing, just tell them that the mounting bracket is on backorder right now from *insert local ford dealership name here*. my sisters ex-boyfriend used to pull that crap with cops all the time and he never got a ticket. unless you want one, then go to your dealership and get one - its only $11.50 (i bought one last week for when i move to NY.)

i got a verbal warning the other night.
doing 35 in a 45 (behind some ol' grampa in a cutlass)
i get pulled over
i had my factory lights and fogs + my PIAA 520s
plus 2" tt with slight butt sag.
so everything was pointing at a higher angle than stock

i was told i could only run two sets at a time
i yessered and went on my way

terdrocket, it's really easy to reaim your lights for height using the adjusting screws. You just need like a 6 or 5 mm socket. They're right there when you open the headlight flaps.

Are we supposed to register our explorers to go offroading? I've heard of an OHV sticker that is required to go offroading. Is this true and approximately how much would it cost? The cop mentioned that my explorer was not an off-road vehicle. Hehe, i don't know if i should be offended by that, but I'm assuming he was talking about certain requirements for offroad vehicles. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks
Brian

I think you just need a permit if you're going on certain public land, or you need permission if you're on private land.

Re: Re: Got a ticket for my lights

Originally posted by RFR2212
Well infact, I'm sure if you looked at the state statues, then infact if you are breaking the law, it's their job to ticket the offenders, regardless of the offense.

Could you please elaborate on what exactly state statues look like.

I love when people break the law and blame the police for being so board that they caught them!:rolleyes: Funny, they catch people for breaking the law, doesn't sound like they are board to me. Sounds to me like they are doing their job.

Robb

Don't know about Jaguars, but in my family we have had eight different Mercedes, and each and every one has/had provisions for mounting a front plate. And we got them all in Florida, where they only use the rear plates. Same for BMW too.

Our Toyota had no front plate mount, but when we moved to Texas, we had to put one up there. You were lucky about getting that ticket dismissed, as normally they would say too bad, put the front plate on.

Also, let's not get angry at the cops. Remember, their job description includes being shot at. That cop doesn't know if you have a gun or not, or if you have a warrant for your arrest or not. It doesn't matter whether it's an El Camino or a Bentley, he's/she's going to be careful.

Of course there are bad cops. But there are also bad plumbers, bad doctors, bad waiters, and bad pilots.

ive driven without a front plate the whole time ive had my X, and the only time a cop has even said 'you dont have one', is when a college cop was talking to us cause we were filling up water balloons in this parking lot. but that cop is one of the ones who is REALLY out to get us, he follows us and whatnot.
but i agree that you shouldnt be all pissed at them for giving tickets out, cause it IS the law. especially when your pulled over in front a road block at gunpoint, and they just let you go after a stern talking to....

Well, I'm speaking from experience and I've never had a good experience with cops, especially around my area, Newport Beach - Irvine (the NO crime cities). A while back, my girlfriend and I were just hanging out in my car overlooking the bay after a formal and a cop accused me of smoking or hiding marijuana in the car. He was suspicious only because I moved my seat up to drive away. After an embarrassing 30 mins of me sitting on the curb with flashlights beaming at my eyes along with my gf freezing in her formal dress, and two other cop cars stopping by to help out, he discovered nothing and just decided to call my gfs parents, since she was underage at the time. We never did anything wrong.

I understand how it is dangerous when people speed, tailgate, or run red lights and those violators deserve tickets and I've gotten them and never complained about it. However, when a cop stops me for ridiculous reasons and decides to write me up for other violations since he was wrong about his initial assumptions, I'm gonna to be a little upset.

Also, just because it is the law doesn't always mean it is right. Having offroad lights uncovered poses a threat to other drivers only when they're on while driving on the road which is ridiculous. It is true that it prevents turning them on from being an option on the road, but how is it different from turning on the highbeams, which are even more dangerous than off-road lights since it is a wide beam and can blind drivers more than the long-beam of off-road lights.
As another example, in California, we have photo enforced intersections in certain cities. However, studies have shown that in those intersections, the yellow lights are shortened by a second or more so that the red light would come on faster than usual and the driver would be caught in the middle of the intersection with a red light violation, even though he would have crossed it safely in other intersections.

Is this a reasonable and justifiable law, or is this a law fabricated for the sole purpose of profits and not the protection of our lives? Just a thought...

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In NC i don't think you have to have covers on off-road lights. i you do ohwell. they are in the car behind the drivers seat and i had them on there before but they got stolen so i had to buy 4 brand new ones. only time i put them on is on the highway so i don't have to clean all the bugs off.

Back