GW National Forest | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

GW National Forest

Just a couple questions. I am only planning on rolling with 31's on my x because of spousal and parental responsibilities <insert no balls joke here>. In some threads I have read that some people believe the gwnf is not a hair raising 4x4 experience, while searching other sites people have made other comments about gwnf rough for stockers although I wont be completely stock by the time I get up there. What is everyone's take? there seems to be some people on here that don't pull punches and are experienced at wheeling, so I want your opinion. The same sites also stated to run gwnf you need 4wd with low range and my x is awd obviously no selectable low range so can I handle the trails alright? running 3.73s as well. Just a little bit of preparation, in reference to running through some of the water on the trails what is there any extra waterproofing that needs to be done to the transmission or differentials axles to keep water from invading everything and destroying it? I am a green trail runner but want to learn and experience the fun too. Any help or scorn for not properly searching and finding all the answers in multiple thread will still be useful. I am asking this here without completely searching for the answers becasue there is a reason I shop at walmart I want to buy bait and deli meats at the same place. Peace

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry about the length I am long winded

I've been to GWNF onces with a stock Samurai. Didn't have any problems and I think you could do it in anything with a bit of ground clearance. With that said, manual tranny and lo range will help, but isn't a necessity. Also, it all depends on the trail you take. We took a relitively easy trail, I'm sure there are more difficult ones out there. Gimme a holler anytime you wanna go and I'll LEARN YA!

unclemeat is more familiar with the area so I'm sure he'll have most to say.

PS - Welcome to the world of WHEEL'N!

GWNF is a great place for stock 4x4s. Very little is difficult enough to require modifications. If you are going to do any offroading, it is a very good idea to extend your breather hoses on transfercase trasmission and differentials. All you need is some zip ties, fuel or vacum line and small clamps. Extend the front lines up into the engine compartment, and rear lines to the gas tank fill.

with 31's you will be able to do most things. i didn't have 4 low when i went but i had 35's and 4.10 gears. GW is a lot of fun, especially if you don't want to bust too much major stuff. Good luck

thank you to everyone for the help, i am sure I will ask more about the breathers when the time comes. tenikiwon thanks for the offer, i do not think i will be able to make it till next spring but am gonna try, will let you know then.

In June next year is the serious explorations 10-year anniversery east coast run. Out that one on your calender. It is a weekend trip with trips to the GWNF and Crozet (private offroad Park).

I am all about that. I will try my best to come up spunds like a good time. I am going to boone nc in january for a little snowboarding and maybe I can find some wheeling to do in the snow.

Back