headlights warnign chimes anytime dome light is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headlights warnign chimes anytime dome light is on

SilverSPL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
blah
Well I got an annoying problem that is making me go nuts when I'm working on my explorer now.
I have a 2003 EB Explorer
Ok the problem is when I open my door of the suv the dome lights go on and the headlight warning chime starts to sound. I always set my headlights to auto on but I can switch them to any setting and I still get the chime. Happenes anytime the dome lights are on and the car is off. very annoying, starts to make me go nuts when hearing it for a long period of time.

The second problem I'm having is sometimes when I open my door the dome lights never come on and it doesn't matter which door was opened first. Happenes about once a week.

Do I need to go to a dealer to get these things fixed or is there somethign I can do to fix these things. I don't have a warranty so I want to try and fix these things myself.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a twofold problem.

The chime you hear when your dome light is on may not be the headlight on chime, but the key in ignition chime. Do you carry a lot of keys on your key ring? next time that happens, gently wiggle the ignition lock, see if the noise goes away.

The 2nd issue, is that you may have a door not shut correctly or a door switch thats on its way out, so the dome lights stay on, and the LCM senses it, so it will turn the lights off to prevent you from running the battery down, and will not power the dome light until either the key is turned or the remote is pressed.

Did you notice if the dome light stays on when you leave the car?

thanks for the replies,
I think it is the key chime, i do carry allot of keys (about 20), I did try to jiggle the ignition lock but no luck. One time recently the interior lights were on and no key chime then as soon as my ket touched the ignition housing it started to chime. SO if the problem lise there what can I d oto fix it?

The other problem, the dome lights always go off as they normally would when the car doors are closed, no door adjar lights come on at all when the doors are closed.
The problem is when I open a car door the lights don't come on all the time it's about 50% of the time now

...try the fix anyways...;)

Well I tried spraying wd40 in all the door handles and both rear hatch locking mechanisms with no luck.
I now believe that both of my problems are coming from the key ignition. One time when getting in my car and the ligths were out and I touched the key to the ignition and the interior lights came magically on.
So onto looking for a new key ignition.
Any things I should know before purchasing one?

...if you re-read that original post, it shows which post also has other information such as a broken ground wire or a gem module problem...;)

Back