Heads and Exhaust Bolts

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi Guys

I just wanted to let you know I pulled the heads off my 92 Explorer today. The heads looks good I am having them checked tomorrow or Friday for cracks. But the right side all the water ports were clogged and i could see where the anti freeze was leaking in the cylinders. I unclogged the water ports.

Now here is a problem I have where can I get new exhaust manifold bolts? The ones that the bolts the manifolds to the heads.

Thank You
Walter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you want factory replacement bolts, your best bet is one of our forum vendors, Tousley Ford, or Ford Super Center. They are both Ford dealers and can get you hard to find small parts like that. You could also try your local Ford dealership parts department as well.

You can also just take the bolts to a fastener supply store, and they can match it up by length, thread pitch, and class, and order in new ones.

I'd say go with the ones from our forum vendors or the local dealer though, as they will be the right ones for the purpose and even if it costs a few bucks more, you save that in time, hassle, and gas.

Hi Guys
I was wondering if I could go to the hardware store to get bolts so can bolt the exhaust manifold back to the heads? I had my heads checked and one was good and the other was cracked.

Thank You

The bolts are metric and are a high class (metric version of grade rating), so most hardware stores won't have them.

You might find similar replacements at a fastener supply place that carries lots of metric bolts, but even then, getting the right length, thread pitch, and a flange head would probably require ordering them.

A dealer is still your best bet for getting them.

Hi Guys

I just wanted to let you guys know I had one good head and a cracked head. I replaced the cracked head with a used one. Today I got to start the explorer. My check engine light is on. I checked the codes and it says my MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR is bad. When yo first start the explorer it runs a little and wants to die. I let it warm up and it runs fine. Do I need to replace the MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR or can I just clean it. What should I use to clean it? The code was 157. I have a 95 explorer I may swap the sensors before I buy one. But other wise the explorer sounds good.

Thank You
Walter

You can just clean the MAF sensor with carburetor cleaner, throttle body/air intake cleaner, or QD "Quick Dry" Electronics Cleaner from any parts store. Just spray the filament part of the sensor, let dry, and repeat a few times to make sure it's clean. Once it's dry, reinstall.

Usually it's best to disconnect the battery before unplugging the sensor from the wiring harness, or you can leave it connected and just do the cleaning at the vehicle, as long as you use a towel or container for the cleaning fluid to drip down on so you're not messing up the MAF housing.

Hi Guys

I cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor today. I used carb cleaner. I did unhook the battery. It still acts the same way. I rechecked the codes and I still have the 157 code. Do you guys think the sensor is bad or should I just clean the sensor again?

Thank You
Walter

You might have other issues that is causing the sensor to give out-of-spec readings, like an air leak in the intake tube, or even some faulty wiring. You could always try a new sensor, or get one from a forum member or salvage yard, but MAF sensors rarely seem to go out. I'd suspect other things before spending money on a new one.

Hi
I found 2 vacuum leaks. I fixed them and I still having the same problem. I check the codes again and still have the 157 code. I thought about buying a used Mass Air Flow Sensor. Or do I need just to drive it with me just replacing the head gaskets? I hope someone can help me with this issue.

Thank You

Check the wiring. Back probe the pins and test for voltages. The sensor may not be bad. Also, check for more vacuum leaks. Our trucks seem to be very sensitive to this problem.

Hi

I found the problem. I took my son's mass air flow sensor off his car today and put it on the explorer and the explorer idled great. The check engine did not come on and no codes. I will replace the Mass Air flow Sensor.

Thank You
Walter

Hi Guys

I rechecked my codes again and I have 114 code the AIR CHARGE TEMP SENSOR and the 157 code still. I probably replace both sensors. What do you guys think?

Thank You

Did you clear the codes the first time? Did the CEL come back on?

You should disconnect the battery for a half hour or so, then reconnect it and let the vehicle idle for 5 mins, then go drive for a while to clear out the old trouble codes and let the ECM re-learn. Otherwise the old codes will show up in memory when connecting a scanner.

If it's a new CEL and says the temp sensor, you can either remove it and clean it like the MAF sensor, or just get a new one.

Hi Guys

I replaced the mass air flow sensor. That fixed my problem. It runs very good now.

Thank You
Walter.

Back