Heavy Duty Headlight Wiring Harness Installation | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heavy Duty Headlight Wiring Harness Installation

Based on a desire for brighter lights, I decided to install a heavy-duty headlight wiring harness on my ‘99. Currently I am running Silver Star 9007 bulbs. I decided to try this harness with the Silver Stars to see what improvement in light output would result; further, it also gives me the potential to run higher wattage lamps.

I ordered the harness from http://www.suvlights.com/; the cost was only $43 with shipping to my door. I admit I was skeptical about ordering from a company that does not accept credit cards ( but remembered what a great company Zaino is ). I find Pay Pal a royal pain in the arse. But all went well and I got an E Mail confirmation about the order as well as shipping info. The link to USPS for tracking is a joke; the same message appeared every day with no delivery date; further, the company never answers their e mail.. My package finally arrived 19 days later.

This is undeniably a quality built harness as evidenced from the photograph ( the actual harness is slightly different ), as well as the excellent construction. The harness includes the following:

(2) 30 amp relays
Fusible link
14 heavy gauge automotive wiring in wire loom
Male connector to plug into existing headlight socket
(2) New headlight sockets

There were no instructions whatsoever included; as promised on their website,. However, their website has the instructions online. They are not really needed.

The harness gets power directly from the truck’s battery eliminating voltage drops and improving headlight system reliability

Installation is really straightforward; no cutting and splicing are required. The first step is to lay out the harness in the manner that it will be installed. A suitable location to mount the relays was chosen and they were attached behind the battery. Then the 9007 bulb sockets were attached to the Silver Star bulbs and the ground leads were attached to existing screws near the headlight. Then the male socket was connected to the original wire harness. Next, the 12 v power leads were attached directly to the battery. The final installation step was to “neat up” the wire runs and secure with tie wraps.

Total installation time was less than 15 minutes. The most time consuming part was the connection at the battery.

Visually, there is an apparent improvement in the brilliance of the lights in the daylight’ will test them on the road tonight. This project was money well spent and recommended to anyone who wants better light output in his or her truck. I would, however, try to find another supplier for the harness.

The next step will be to try higher wattage bulbs…..

Attachments

• wireharness.jpg
    wireharness.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 6,765

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no i already have done that mod...just bent the pin out on the relay and it works...im talking about the fogs working as high and low beam like they said above

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by aldive
You can have the fog lights work with either high or low with a 5 min, no cost mod.
Will this work on a '97? I'd be interested in this.

Joe

which are u talking about....fogs staying on when brights are on?

Yeah, sorry about not being more specific. :eek: I don't want to get this thread off track here either. Maybe shoot me a PM or something.

Joe

Originally posted by adidaswear
no i already have done that mod...just bent the pin out on the relay and it works...im talking about the fogs working as high and low beam like they said above
He didn't say giving the fogs "high" and "low" beams.
He said you could have the fogs on with the High, Low or both.
As in one setting has the fogs on whatever the headlights are doing.
One has them on when the high beam is on.
And one has them on when the low beam is on.

The only way to make fogs "high" and "low" would be to cut the voltage for the "low", which would really give you normal and dim.
And to do that you would use resistors, not diodes.
Diodes just stop current from flowing in one direction.
Or stop voltages above/below certain levels depending on how they are designed and used.

i got my harness in 4 days....that was very fast..only problem was they only sent me one set and i ordered 2 sets of 9007..figures oh well they work great. does it matter if the relays are mounted upright. Is that gonna effect the performance?

Ya, the relays should be mounted with the plugs on the bottom. As Al had mentioned previously in this thred he didnt do that originally and the relays failed due to trapped moisture.

alright cool...i got it behind my battery so it shouldnt then. thanx

really?....well mine is in between the fender and battery..

then ill wrap the hell out of it with electrical tape

Seriously doubt that will make it water proof.

Why not mount it in another location in the correct orientation?

Good luck....

i will make it look better...i have to shorten all my wiring first to make room cause i have alot of black wire loom on the wires and there is too much extra anyway...pregnant woman at home so not much extra time if u know what i mean...gets jealous of the car:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

Well you gotta make sure that your headlights are as bright as possible so you can have a safe trip to the hospital. "Just thinking of you honey."
Relays should not be taped up. They are designed to be mounted only one way and have to be open for moisture to evaporate. Any where you put them they will get some moisture, even if its just condsate.

alright then......ill just make sometime to "clean up under the hood"

you can mount the relays in anyway that you would like as long as you seal the harness with silicon sealant to keep out the moisture. thats what i did under my hood with the circuit for my emergency lights, and its worked fine for 2 years and shows no signs of slowing down

Still Problems with website>

Has anyone recently ordered a headlight harness from suvlights.com and are they still having problems? If there was enough interest could the headlight harness qualify for a Group Purchase Discount? Has anyone ran across another source for complete harness's?

Back