HEAVY DUTY Off Road CV Joint Axles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HEAVY DUTY Off Road CV Joint Axles

glenn_a

Reaction score
City, State
Sydney
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have been searching in this forum about HEAVY DUTY front CV joint for my Explorer 1997 XLT V6 SOHC with no luck...

Just wondering if you could just let me know or send me a link where to get them please...

Been going off road a lot and I am always worried of my CV joint and just want a peace of mind...

thank heaps for your time...!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of use just carry a couple extra cv axles for driver side and one for passenger side.

Be careful of aftermarket replacements. Some have a smaller cup, and cannot take as much angle.

Most of use just carry a couple extra cv axles for driver side and one for passenger side.

Be careful of aftermarket replacements. Some have a smaller cup, and cannot take as much angle.

yeah I was thinking same thing, just carry a spare CV axles but still I am curious if there such thing a Heavy Duty CV axles...

thanks mate!

I think the only heavy duty CV joints you can get are called a solid axle swap..:D

I think the only heavy duty CV joints you can get are called a solid axle swap..:D

its sounds good but I think that a BIG job...

sorry to ask do you know who has done this type of project and would you mind showing us the link, just want to see how hard/easy to convert it into solid axle...

thanks heaps!

Let's keep this on topic please, as some of us want to keep IFS and would like heavy duty axles shafts. There has to be something out there.

I'm on the same mission for the same reason. Been looking for a while (since I did gmanpaint's IFS ugrades and realized the CVs are the only moving parts not upgraded) but no luck so far. I'll report back here if I spot anything.

:exp:

There is a certain factory year (I think 95-96 not sure) that allows for 5* more angle at the wheel end. You can only tell by taking them apart and seeing if the cup has ridges or is flat in the ball groove. I found the info when I was looking to use a dixon bros long travel kit.

I have been searching in this forum about HEAVY DUTY front CV joint for my Explorer 1997 XLT V6 SOHC with no luck...

Just wondering if you could just let me know or send me a link where to get them please...

Been going off road a lot and I am always worried of my CV joint and just want a peace of mind...

thank heaps for your time...!

I saw this link some time ago.

http://www.rcvperformance.com/categories-cv-axles.aspx?catID=RCVP_ULT_IFS_CV_AXLES_ALT

They claim that you can special order a shaft to fit your rig. I have never tried them but they say they are as strong as a solid axle. Also, they offer inner and outer joints.

Hope this helps. Also, don't even know what something like this would set you back. ;)

Looks like the RCV axle topic has been hit on a few times.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372844

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=386712

The don't stock them for the IFS second gen, but will make them for about $2,000.

For that cash, I think I'm with Turdle and BKennedy. If you're keeping IFS, just carry a spare set. If you're thinking about $2K+, consider the SAS. I'm staying with my IFS for now. Does everything I need for the trail and expediton wheeling (which I still call "camping") that I do.

:exp:

^agree.

While I went SAS for the ultimate in reliability since I don't wheel hard trails too often, my IFS got me through everything I tried with it. I think I've done roughly 45 different trails in CO- mostly all with my IFS.

If you keep the front open and don't hammer on the throttle, you should be fine. Lock the rear and the increase in traction in the rear should help to make up for the lack of flex in the front.

Yes i guess u guys are right and that is very expensive...
Yeah 2TimingTom my plan was install an airlocker for the front and replace the clutch pack in the rear to make it tighter for LSD, that would my front CV Axle 50/50 chance to break right if i go for hard trails right?

I would not lock an ifs. I know some vehicles have it from the factory, like the Xterra Pro4X, but it just seems like an unnecessary risk.

The factory LSD might be satisfactory but my Eaton Truetracs are great. 100% automatic and invisible.

Just got an email from RCVperformance

Quoted: Hello Glenn, sorry we do not offer an upgraded cv joint for the Ford Explorer, we have not had enough requests to make one.
Sorry we cannot help you out at this time.
Kraig

RCV Performance Customer Support

RCV Performance Products
611 Beacon Street
Loves Park, IL 61111
Ph: 815.877.7473 | Fx: 815.877.1218
sales@rcvperformance.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back