Help! 2016 Explorer Limited - P0171 Lean Code and Rattle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 2016 Explorer Limited - P0171 Lean Code and Rattle

Shep4

Reaction score
City, State
Leesburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
I would appreciate any assistance you can offer.

I have a 2016 Explorer Limited AWD with 183k miles on it. Car is paid off and since it's the first car I've ever paid off I'd like to hang onto it for a few more years before replacing it. But it's giving me fits!

Last year I was getting random misfires and a rattle (which was interpreted as the cam phaser rattle) at startup.

I have since replaced the following (*):

Coils
Plugs
Cam Phasers
Timing Chain (I believe they did the "oil solenoids" when they replaced it)
Water Pump (because they had it all open so I replaced it)

The engine runs great now (no misfires) with the exception of five things:

1) Fuel economy is bad (around 12mpg)
2) I get the CEL code which translates to a "System Too Lean Bank 1" (and occasionally the P0174 on Bank 2)
3) There is some seepage of oil from the cam sensors in Bank 2
4) My LTFT (Long Term Fuel Trim) for both banks is above +20%. STFT is around +/-3%
5) And this is the most curious thing - I get a rattle (or flutter) from the engine (sounds like in the rear so bank 1) when I come off the accelerator. Under load and at speed/rpm I don't hear the sound. But when the engine slows down and the rpms come down, I hear the flutter. So, if I was sitting at idle I might barely hear it. When I rev the engine I hear it for a second and then the spms are high so it is not audible (if it is still doing it). But when I ease up on the accelerator and rpms come down I hear the rattle/flutter sound for a second or two until it's back to idle and I hear nothing. If I can attach a video later of the sound I will.

I realize this is multiple (2 or 3) things wrong at the same time, but hoping someone has an idea on what to check next? I'm kinda at the point where I'm so pissed that I threw $4k into the engine (when I could've gotten a used one with 33k miles on it installed for that same amount).

(*) O2 sensors have not been replaced. Neither has the MAP sensor. Or Fuel filter or Fuel Pump.

I wonder if the rattle is the wastegate. I think when those go bad they can rattle.

As for your fuel trims being high, if you have misfires, the engine actually sees that as a lean issue so it adds more fuel.
Are there any pending codes for misfires?

Also, if your O2 sensor is 'lazy' it could be reading lean even when the engine is running rich.

Back