Help . Camshaft Sensor - Omfg ( Pics ) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help . Camshaft Sensor - Omfg ( Pics )

and the sensor wasn't pointing towards the window shield , it just wasnt pointed squarely at the front bumper

and i know what u mean by with getting the flag straight, i just came across a bottom view of the alignment tool. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Excellent!

Sal619 said:
In this image below, the camshaft sync is out of line with the front of the car. so when the alignment tool would be placed on there it would not point to the front of the car right ?

it is the position of the internal shaft relative to the outer housing which is important. You need the tool, and the engine set to TDC for the compression stroke on cylider 1

The highlighted sentence is very important. It doesn't matter if the outside of the synchronizer doesn't point exactly straight forward. The only reason you want it close to that is so you can easily hook up the electrical connector.

2000LXS said:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jqaixZ9na0y

the Cardone Reman unit is good but has no tool
the Dorman is junk but has the tool

I have had the Cardone in my truck for a year with no issue.

I am using that Cardone unit which cost $60. Let the bottom of it soak in a cup of oil before installing to prolong its life. Don't get the top part where the sensor goes oiled up though.

and the search continues....

So I called Steve at Tousley Ford got Skott instead but he looked in their inventory and found only 1 left in any ford house in the US and its $530 plus $20 for shipping which is an ungodly price for this damn syncro so it looks like im gonna have to either pulled a used one from junkyard or just pay my mechanic to fix it seeing as i cant find a new one to put it in myself

as a last ditch-
The problem I see with the dorman replacement is the shear pin's material thickness. The dorman pin is wimpy compared to the ford pin.

What I would try in this situation is installing the Ford shear pin into the dorman replacement.
Just get the appropriate pin punch, punch the pin out of the old unit, punch the pin out of the new dorman unit, then stick the Ford pin into the dorman shaft. Heck, if the Ford drive gear looks good I would use it also over the dorman gear.

Soaking the new unit in transmission fluid is a great idea.

so the only need for the alignment tool, is to make sure the internal part of the sync does not move during installation . correct ?

it does not have any correlation in which direction the sync is installed besides the fact that the sensor needs room.

From what I can tell, the little flag in the syncroniser needs to be aligned with the sensors active part at exactly TDC... Doesn't matter where the whole assambly is pointing (except for ease of install).

Thank YOU again.!!!

no explorers at the junkyard, as a matter of fact, no suvS!!!!

whats going on :(

time to find someone parting one out on craigslist :).

They traded all of them in for the cash for clunkers...

yeah thats exactly what i was thinking walking through those isles...

so sad. it was all the soccer moms, not the true explorer owners ha

but anyways i picked up this part from autozone, i gave up my adventuresome search for disabled explorers

11.jpg

10.jpg

but that alignment tool is what is giving me the runaround...

NOONE has it, i think im gonna have to order it online, but i dont wanna wait anymore

driving around the bigass suburban right now, dont mind it, but its hard on my wallet.

Nice! I didn't see it online, how much it was?

havent found it yet :p

ill link you when i do tho ha

Napa seems to sell one with a sensor AND alignment tool !

the mounty '98 5.0 v8 is the same as the explorer right ?

but its balkamp

how does this compare to cardone and motorcraft.

is it better brand than dorman?

let me know whats up with the brand tho, i trust ppl here

It's the Dorman one that is not well looked upon here. But at 1/10th price... you can replace one every year :)
My engine is the same and I am having a problem with my oil pressure - is low and sometimes at low rpm is "pulsating" like the pump is not engaging right. I want to take mine out and see if the gear is all in one pice.

LE: Motorcraft sells one online for 145$: Part Number: 12A362 (DA-2090)
That is without the sensor itself! But the gear looks like it has some steel treatment (phosphating)? That would make a difference...
XL2Z12A362AA-FRO.png

The syncroniser alingment tool itself is 32$, and not sure if is the right one!

Man I hope I never have to mess with this.

It's the Dorman one that is not well loked upon here. But at 1/10th price... you can replace one every year :)
My engine is the same and I am having a problem with my oil pressure - is low and sometimes at low rpm is "pulsating" like the pump is not engaging right. I want to take mine out and see if the gear is all in one pice.

The thing about this part is that it is so vital to allow your engine to not only run properly, but also survive, lol. If the roll pin in the Dorman (AKA Balkamp) unit sheers, then you will instantaneously lose oil pressure. If you really really really need to save a few bucks, then Jon's idea is probably the best. Carefully remove the roll pin from the Motorcraft unit that you remove and swap it into the Dorman unit.

Sonic,

As for your oil pressure issue, are you checking it with a mechanical gauge? The gauge in your dash cluster is driven by nothing more than a pressure switch which located on the driver's side of the block above the oil filter if you have a 5.0. If the switch is going bad, it would give the same symptoms you've described. It's a really cheap part to replace, but can be a little frustrating to reach. I changed mine out through my fenderwell with a variety of extensions and universals on hand.

PS - Whoever it was that called Tousley and talked to someone other than Steve, I urge you to call them back and specifically request Steve in the parts department. Either do that or post in Tousley's Q&A thread here on EF. The guy that quoted $500+ for the Motorcraft synchronizer obviously wasn't aware of the extreme discount that our forum receives. Like I said before, I ordered mine from them and it was well under $200 shipped.

nevermind, its only for the

1998-2002 Ranger 3.0L V6
1998-2002 Taurus 3.0L V6
1998-2002 Windstar 3.0L V6
1998-2002 Mercury Sable 3.0L V6

imma go to napa and cop the part right quick, and return it...

So i replaced the sensor, and the sync.

tried to start it up, but it wouldnt, so i thought i had effed somefin up....

but when i went to check the fuel rail to see if there was any fuel, there was none getting tot he engine.

replaced the fuel pump (used to make a very loud humming noise) and problem solved..

at least i fixed the cam sync :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This looks VERY familiar... Bent crescent looked identical to mine which I replaced last winter. Looked a lot more scary than it was though. I got mine from Oreillys complete with the sync tool. I ended up ditching the tool and just scribing the relative locations. Nice job with the fix and thanks for the pics.

Back