• Register Today It's free!

Help..Plz..Transmission problem

ducrnd

Reaction score
City, State
N,Ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 xlt
I have had my transmission rebuilt and the other day while driving . I stopped and parked. when I went to leave and put it in reverse,NOTHING.
went to put in drive,NOTHING, !st,NOTHING,2nd NOTHING. put back in park, a holy terror of a Grind for like 10-15seconds, then it stops.
Turned car off ,restart ,same thing. had it towed back to repair shop. they said its the transfer case, I can not see that because it goes motor,transmission,transfer case ,Correct. I did not try putting in 4wd because if the transmission will not engage, the transfer will not either , .Am I correct in the train of thought. PLEASE Help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Probably the transfer case. It doesn’t matter what gear the trans is in...if the transfer case ate itself, you’re not going anywhere.

They usually fail in reverse, so that’s your big clue.

Probably the transfer case. It doesn’t matter what gear the trans is in...if the transfer case ate itself, you’re not going anywhere.

I have no forwardor reverse

I have no forward or reverse
Also, when put in gear. It would wind up the engage.also when starting, sometimes it would lurch forward5 or 6 times. Total distance moved maybe a foot to a foot and a half.

Motor turns transmission, transmission turns transfer case, transfer case turns drive shaft-drive shaft turns axles-axles turn wheels.

When transfer case fails ( internals free spinning) drive shaft will not turn so the story stops there.

The transfer case always provides drive. It also allows selection from 2wd to 4wd with a gear reduction for 4wd lo .

First time post: could it be maybe they forgot to put fluid in the transfer case causing it to fail. Not trying to point fingers or anything but thought id point it out.

It’s kinda rare for a transmission to just **** the bed like that. Usually you get other symptoms like flashing OD light, harsh/no shifting, etc. Not common for a trans to work fine one day and then be completely blown out the next.

What I meant earlier is that the transfer case usually fails when reverse is selected. When it fails, you often lose forward and reverse.

Is your OD OFF light flashing?

Put it in 4LOW

Put it in 4LOW

I did have a 4x4light flashing... I had the transfer case looked at and they changed the fluid and the light never came back on. But if I would drive approx 100miles, my O/D light will blink and stay on till I shut it off and let it sit , then after another 100 miles ,it would come back on. and that is 100 miles of continuous driving....( cincy to lul'vlle )

First time post: could it be maybe they forgot to put fluid in the transfer case causing it to fail. Not trying to point fingers or anything but thought id point it out.

Yes it had fluid.. Never ever a bad idea to always check and recheck...

I wonder if they ran Mercon V in it. Merc V has been known to destroy transfer cases.

Are you sure it is the transfer case. The shifter cable has a grommet on the end that wears out over time. I had a similar issue with my 2001 Explorer after returning from the store trying to leave in my car and it would not move in any direction only to find out that the shifter cable had detached under the bottom. The tow truck driver knew all about it. I ended up fixing it with a bushing kit instead of replacing the entire shifter cable and it works as good as new.

Are you sure it is the transfer case. The shifter cable has a grommet on the end that wears out over time. I had a similar issue with my 2001 Explorer after returning from the store trying to leave in my car and it would not move in any direction only to find out that the shifter cable had detached under the bottom. The tow truck driver knew all about it. I ended up fixing it with a bushing kit instead of replacing the entire shifter cable and it works as good as new.

I can dream but my luck the tranny AND transfer case probably granaded

Back