Help with 2013 Explorer PIU Console Questions.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with 2013 Explorer PIU Console Questions....

SoDakMeadeCo

Reaction score
City, State
Sturgis, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer PIU
Hey all! I've been reading every post I can find about my missing console, but still have questions and need help!
Short of trying to get a deputy to let me go through his PIU and possibly take photos (which I doubt is going to happen ; ) I searched our county's facebook, etc., for details on which console and other equipment was installed, with no luck.
My first question is, did this come from the factory with a plate that covered the module and wiring already here? And what covered the wiring that goes on top of the tunnel to underneath the rear seat? I've looked at both Havis and Gamber-Johnson consoles, and also Jotto-Desk. They're all pretty similar, I just want what WAS there originally in the police cruiser. Any ideas from these photos? You can see wear marks on the center stack on the corners where to console was. Help? I may yet have to take a trip down to the courthouse when some of the deputies are there and at least find out what consoles they used in the 2013's.
bOhQjXP.jpg

LhWXVKn.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Sorry that I'm not able to provide the answers you're looking for. I believe there are several members here with a 2013 PIU. Hopefully they can assist.
The 2 black cut and taped wires look like they might have been for antennas.
Good luck and stay safe.

Peter

Ok so mine was 2015 and most likely from different upfitter so not likely the same, but... Generic answer to some of what is shown. If possible, you do not want a bunch of lose ended wires laying around as many of them my still be hot. Trace back to plugs and unplug and maybe pull out much of the unused stuff. If you are not using the special antennas those wires can go as well. A floor plate would cover the front section and extension tail piece goes under the rear seat, both relatively cheap but heavy to ship. Good luck on your project.

Not sure if this will help you at all, but I took a few pics before I swapped my console out. This was the Jotto Desk that was in my PIU. Its not the best pic, but you can see under the console there is a pretty heavy duty black plate that bolts to the floor that covers all the wiring.
In my case the wiring running to the backseat was under the vinyl floor.

I have a 13 and had a 15 PIU, neither had anything other than basically what you have, I know not helping BUT I did swap in a console from a civilian explorer. Hooked up wiring for lighting and 12v outlets also. I have pics but am on mobile so would have to email if you want to see before and after.

If you can post the pictures here that might help others too.

Peter

I have a 13 and had a 15 PIU, neither had anything other than basically what you have, I know not helping BUT I did swap in a console from a civilian explorer. Hooked up wiring for lighting and 12v outlets also. I have pics but am on mobile so would have to email if you want to see before and after.

If you could post how you did your connections? I am looking for ideas to keep it simple, but did get not the dash side of the main harness to splice into.

If you could post how you did your connections? I am looking for ideas to keep it simple, but did get get the dash side of the main harness to splice into.

I didn't get the dash side of the harness. I traced wires out in the console and pulled power from one of the PIU factory outlets that was there already. Powered the lighting, middle outlet and rear outlet with one and the other powers the front outlet.

First thing is you are missing the ford factory mounting metal baseplate that covers all that stuff on the floor. That is what you need to attach the console to.

Back