Help with lighting upgrades - 1997 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with lighting upgrades - 1997 Mountaineer

As everyone knows, the stock fog lights on the earlier second gens. were all but useful.

I was wondering what ideas some of you have come up with to replace them. I've seen the small led light bars on eBay, but I've got my doubts about their brightness.

I'm also curious as to how long of a light bar would fit on the roof of our Explorers? I'm not looking to go all out and spend a grand on lights, just looking to improve a bit.

Any other ideas are also welcome. Backup lights maybe?

Thanks!

PS: Pictures are useful here ;)

i myself hated those square lights. what i did was take the stock bumper, and welded 2 4 inch i.d. tubes in.

1008195_258905137585040_1762276913_o_Medium_.jpg

010_Medium_Medium_.jpg

i myself hated those square lights. what i did was take the stock bumper, and welded 2 4 inch i.d. tubes in.

1008195_258905137585040_1762276913_o_Medium_.jpg

010_Medium_Medium_.jpg

I like that. I've also seen the post about your projector lights, wouldn't happen to have another set would ya?

I replaced my factory fog lights (square ones) with these http://www.amazon.com/KC-HiLiTES-775-Driving-System/dp/B0002GXOPK. They fit perfectly and have a great warranty. They really do make a big difference compared to the stock ones which did nothing. I didn't even have to use the wiring harness (which is pretty nice) that came with the set. I just connected them to the factory fog light wires.

I thought about getting LEDs too since they are so cheap now, but I felt like they would look too out of place on an old explorer.

Back