• Register Today It's free!

Help!

DUNE RCR

Reaction score
City, State
Norfolk, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 F150 5.4
So after replacing many parts now I'm at a loss. My truck decided to not start the other day and I have no spark. I am gettin fuel however.

I have replaced coil packs, plug wires, plugs, crank position sensor, camshaft position sensor and checked all fuses and relays.

I'm at a total loss right now and need my truck for tomorrow morning. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Truck info: 99 xlt 5.0 awd ran Thursday night wouldn't start Friday morning.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any help would be great. I really need my truck for work in the morning.

Anything? I would like to get my truck up and running here soon. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Does it turn over? Or just a clicking sound?

It does turn over. It does everything its supposed to except spark. I have tested both coils and they are working. I have replaced the cam and crank sensor, new plugs, wires and packs and still no spark. I'm at a loss cause I have gone through everything by the book(Chilton's). It has good compression across all cylinders. Its a problem with the ignition circuit, I just cant figure it out and was hoping someone else has had this problem and had a fix for it.

OK, while this may seem like a waste of time I assure you it isn't. Something in the "flow" of things was missed.

I strongly urge you to take a breath, back up and perform this procedure. Pay close attention to all details.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2352806

Forget about the things you replaced for now, it may cause you to ignore the obvious.

I found that post already and did all those steps. Everything works as its supposed to. Just still have no spark from the coils.

On another note I was wondering when you would chime in turdle. You are a god of information on here.

I found that post already and did all those steps. Everything works as its supposed to. Just still have no spark from the coils.

On another note I was wondering when you would chime in turdle. You are a god of information on here.

ok, let's try a few things right quick

Grab an 11mm socket, remove the PCM connector at the firewall, and then re seat it tightly. ( hoping to fix a bad connection in the plug)

Try starting the truck while holding the accelerator to the floor.

Check if the crank pulley is actually spinning ( the trigger wheel part)--I know this is a sohc thread, but look at this one

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267709&highlight=balancer+belt

I'll check that as soon as I get home from work later.

Possible weak starter or not enough voltage goin to the starter. I know it its difficult to to measure voltage and amperage at the starter with one person. Have you checked ALL electrical wiring and cleaned all electrical contacts? I know you said you were getting fuel, but did you mean you checked fuel pressure? Best of luck.

I'm getting roughly 60 psi fuel pressure at the rail. My starter is only about 3 months old and is cranking the engine up to a decent speed, no change from before. My battery has about 13.5v at the time I was cranking(optima red top) and fully charged before I try cranking everytime(charge it every night so in the morning its ready).

This is why I'm totally confused as to what is going on here. I have never personally seen this happen before without it being a sensor or bad coil.

So my crank trigger ring(idk what it's actually called) is fine. I also removed my cam sensor to see if the gear had sheared by chance, nope solid. I rechecked the voltage going to the coil packs and tested fine. I'm now completely lost.

Are the coil packs supposed to be grounded through the plate or not? What I mean by that is would it be better if the plate where bare metal or stay painted?

Ok that's what I figured. I read somewhere on here where someone had a similar(not total loss) issue with spark on a v6 and they just cleaned all the rust and whatnot away and their truck ran way better. I have duty tomorrow so I will have to work more on this Wednesday.

Thanks for all the input. I will update when I clean off the plate and reassemble everything.

So a little update... Still no spark. I ground the mounting bracket to bare metal and cleaned the coils mounting surfaces spotless and still I have nothing. I give this thing one more week of tinkering and it will have to go to the stealership for diagnostics. I'd rather not go that route as I don't have the money for that plus I have always done all my own work on all my vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I still have nothing. I refuse to take it to the stealership as they want $280 just to connect it to a computer and diagnose it.

Back