Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
rcoksliders.jpg
Rocksliders done the "Herc" way :bounce:

I?ve grown a little weary of buying new $$$ running boards every time this occurs
1011stClaytonWhoops2.jpg
so before I install my next set I've decided to beef them up a tad :D

That's 2"x 6" channel steel sliders on frame-mounted 1 1/2" x 3/8" walled square outriggers, folks, as heavy-duty as a tank; and once installed you will barely be able to tell that they are on there. The running boards lay perfectly onto them and if you look closely at the one on top with the running board laying on it, you will see that less than an inch peeks out under it. They are nearly invisible, I will lose almost no ground clearance at all, and I will still be driving a "sleeper" on the trail.

:D Can you say BulletProof? :smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice! Looks like it should work well.

Hey Gerald,
That's looking good! Did you use exsisting holes in the frame or are you gonna have to drill new ones?

Thanks guys. Yes Ray I will be drilling new holes in the frame :( I'll be buying a couple of extra drill bits, I suppose. This week I will drill a couple of 1/4" drain holes in the sliders and then prime and paint them.

I am going to try to install them next weekend; of course I will have to drop the fuel tank and possibly move the fuel lines and stuff that are inside the left framerail for the left one, so I have no idea how big of a job this will be. These suckers are heavy, BTW.

Pink Trike ??

Okay Gerald - -

What is up with the pink trike scooter ??

BTW, the Hercsliders look great. . .

Paul
'91 Sport

Pink Trike

Hey, that's the custom fold-down model, an essential item in my trailkit to get me out in case of breakdown on the trail. :D

Good to hear from you -- with these sliders now you can winch me up Peckerwood's ledge :bounce: PM me with your whereabouts and let me know if your "travel plans" have changed or not :)

Good One!

Sorry about the double post. . . Seriously, those sliders look great.

No change in the travel plans - - putting the 'Blue Whale' in storage tomorrow, before we head out on Tuesday for the "Land of the Morning Calm".

Paul

those sliders look good! did you make them or have someone do it? i think they will look really good in their "hidden" form.

Wait a Minute, these rails sort of in a way resemble these rails:

1248Rail1.jpg

These Rails are made from 5" x 1-1/2" Steel Channel, The ends have been cut and re-shaped to follow the contour of the body. Like Geralds, They will also be frame mounted. Pass Side = Piece of Cake! Drivers Side = a Job from Hell! The pieces that go from the 5" Channel to the frame are 3" Channel, and then 3/16" Steel plate, I will be using 6 3/8 Bolts to mount each rail to the frame.

If anyone has any questions about them, go here to ask them:
Dead Link Removed

they look great Gerald, I know you will be happy with them, cause I know I am happy the way mine are coming out!

I had them made. I am not nearly a good enough welder to do this job.

Chris, I missed your thread. Looks like we have similar ideas. I noted the responses on your thread questioning the two frame mounts. That's worried me a bit too but I am going to give these a go and if they flex too much or look like they will flex the frame I am going to put a third outrigger on each side or gusset them against the body.

Gerald,

Looks good! When you are available come on over to Newport News and we can build mine.

Paul came over last week and we replaced that Superlift bracket that kept hitting my front diff. It has a lot more clearance, but I have not tried it out yet.

BTW, I have a welder and torch so we can do it all here.

Hey Gerrald, I dont know how those sliders fit with the factory side skirts (I mean how tight, clearance) so I would be worried about water/mud/sand getting in there and staying. I see you already plan some 1/4"drain holes which will help, but I would also suggest (ready for this) using a coat of, (yup, you guessed it) Herculiner (wear pants and gloves, pee before you start for the sake of the 4x4ing world) just to be sure. It would be a real shame to go through all this just to find in a year from now the sliders are rusting out from some stupid stubborn water that wont come out......

I just got done hacking about 4" of metal from my rear quarter (dont know if you saw my rust in Moab) because the previous rust repair (before the blue paint) wasnt done right. It took all of 6 months for that rust to expand about 4" x 6", I was hoping to be able to save some metal but after all was said and done I am now missing a rather large chunk from in front of the rear tire......I will be herculining everything that gets rock chipped (about the bottom 4-6" of the body) all the way around after the repair is complete.....

Maybe run a bead of silicoln between the sliders and the factory rockers too?? to help keep the nasty's out....

Personally I liked the smashed up, 4" above where it's supossed to be, stock running board look your truck had, especially with that rubber piece hanging down off your push bar!!!! HAHAHA!!!

FYI I still cant locate a Lumilogo for my BII tailgate............

Trail Tested?

The girlfriend wants stepbars/board I want/need sliders so I remembered what you did and think that might do the trick.

How have they been working for you?

tenikiwon said:
The girlfriend wants stepbars/board I want/need sliders so I remembered what you did and think that might do the trick.

How have they been working for you?

They have worked fabulously.

Would whoever made them make another set? If they would how much are they? :)

Thats EXACTLY what I want to do for my boards.

Hua?

Best bet is to copy the design and just have a local fab shop or friend build them for you. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you'll need to get a local to do it right. Mine was made by a local welder. We took measurements of my vehicle and he made them to fit it exactly. For example, clearance from my left frame rail out to the body is about 3/4" diferent from the length of the clearance on the right side. I did use simple 2" x 6" channel steel for the sliders which fit perfectly within the Eddie Bauer running boards, but the outrigger connectors to the frame really needs to be done on an individual basis according to your specific vehicle, if you want it to fit perfectly.

Back