Herculiner on my plastics! (not my Hootus) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Herculiner on my plastics! (not my Hootus)

I am very very tempted to do this myself.
Just curious how well it will hold up.

I called the local Line X place and they want $1700.
That includes removing all the plastic and bumpers to apply the Line X. Quite a bit more than I want to spend so I may look into the Herculiner.

Did you just use normal automotive masking tape and remove it immediatly???

Why bother masking? the trim and bumpers are SOOOOO easy to take off :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why bother masking? the trim and bumpers are SOOOOO easy to take off :thumbsup:

I know the bumpers are cake but I heard the plastic is a PITA and that the clips break very easily and you have to replace the whole piece.

I know the bumpers are cake but I heard the plastic is a PITA and that the clips break very easily and you have to replace the whole piece.

I've never heard of that... I had to replace a couple of little push clips... but that was not a big deal at all.
I found the fender flares very easy to remove. front bumper was a joke... rear bumper was about the longest process... but still easy.
Whichever way you wanna do it, but I truly did find it very simple to remove all the trim. :thumbsup:

I've never heard of that... I had to replace a couple of little push clips... but that was not a big deal at all.
I found the fender flares very easy to remove. front bumper was a joke... rear bumper was about the longest process... but still easy.
Whichever way you wanna do it, but I truly did find it very simple to remove all the trim. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that.
I have removed the bumpers prior but how does one go about removing the fender flares and peices on the doors.
How many clips/screws or what have you does each have??

Not sure on the door plastics as I have an xls, but these pics might help for the flares.

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

I am very very tempted to do this myself.
Just curious how well it will hold up.

Did you just use normal automotive masking tape and remove it immediatly???

I just used green painter's tape. The key is to put a coat of Herculiner on the seam where the tape meets the Herculiner right before it dries (after about 45 mins) to re-wet it so that it can be peeled off later.

It is holding up perfectly so far... I mean I expect it to be a heck of a lot more durable than spray paint or similar... i mean this stuff is meant to withstand 2000 lbs of wood, metal etc. scraping against it.

I sure am glad I didn't do my center console with it though... this stuff is extremely hard and very sharp! Wouldn't have been a great feeling leaning my arm against it while I drive!

Yeah, that would suck on the arm rest. :thumbdwn::(

Back