• Register Today It's free!

Hi Speed Shimmy & Shake

hperl

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer Sport 4x4
I have a '92 Explorer Sport 4x4 (130k miles) which has experienced vibration problems at highway speeds (60mph+) for some time now, and am not sure what to do about it. My tires are nearly new Michelins, and shocks are good.

Apparently, this seems to be a pretty common problem with the older Explorers. The Explorer4x4.com FAQ mentions a possible vibration fix from Eibach, and I have been considering new bushings or springs to try and take care of the problem.

What's the latest scoop on this, and what should I try first??

i would check your wheel bearings.... and front end steering components. put the front end on jacks and try to move the tire from side to side on both sides.... if you got play in there that could very well be causing your vibration.

Before you get too crazy spending money on the bigger items make sure that you've ruled out the smaller ones first. Spend the $8/tire and get your tires balanced by a tire shop. Understanding that if your tires have less than 6 ply it is easy to balance. Anything over that it is quite hard and most tire shop will tell you that. They dont want to spend 30 minutes trying to balance each tire when they lose money balancing tires anyway.

If you run stock rims they seem to have a problem with throwing the wheel weights. I know that I seem to lose one every month or two and it doesn't really affect highway driving until I've lost about two or three, then it gets bumpy. Just something to consider...

simply sounds like its outta alignment, i had that problem when i first got my truck

Back