HID Conversion Problems-2014 Sport | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Conversion Problems-2014 Sport

I bought the 9005/6000k HID headlight kit from coolbulbs a week ago. Easy install but one side was out within a day and a half. Andrew was very helpful and asked that I switch ballasts to test if the issue was the ballast or bulb. After that neither ballast worked. I went with coolbulbs based on all the great reviews in this forum. Even though the customer service was great and Andrew was accommodating, I sent the kit back for a refund because I wasn't up for more problems. Hopefully their product will soon match their high level of customer service.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought the 9005/6000k HID headlight kit from coolbulbs a week ago. Easy install but one side was out within a day and a half. Andrew was very helpful and asked that I switch ballasts to test if the issue was the ballast or bulb. After that neither ballast worked. I went with coolbulbs based on all the great reviews in this forum. Even though the customer service was great and Andrew was accommodating, I sent the kit back for a refund because I wasn't up for more problems. Hopefully their product will soon match their high level of customer service.

i agree Andrew is a great guy and very accomodating, too bad he has a bad batch of ballasts... i guess thats what were assuming the issues are..
i hope he gets this straightened out asap...

I got my new ballast in yesterday, so far so good. FYI, it was another ballast with red power wire.

Just had to swap out a Cool Bulbs ballast.

The bad ballast kept blowing the fuse. After connecting the ballast to both fog lights and 2 blown fuses later. My shop replaced the cool bulbs ballast and the fog light fired up with no problem and is still working great.

That makes 4 bad ballasts from my coolbulbs order that was originally placed in December.

Bad Ballast:

86504ED1-A31F-46FC-A0B6-118F3953B5F4.jpg

The ballast blew one of my fuses as well. PIA to change. What were they thinking putting the fuse box so far underneath the dash? Going to get a kit installed from my local shop. At least if there's issues I can drive back instead of mailing bad ballasts back and forth.

That is why I ended up getting an OEM setup. I figured if the ballast came stock in a new car, they would be reliable. I just couldnt keep on installing, uninstalling, and checking to make sure my headlights were on. I dont need to get pulled over for stuff like that. I am happy I got away from my coolbulbs.com kit.

Yup it's a pain.

My local shop has installed their ballasts and it's been working well.

I appreciate Andrew's normally quick response and help but this has cost me money and time. I'll be seeking a refund for another faulty ballast.

Should've just went with my local shop's equipment. Would've said 2 trips to the dealership and 2 trips to local shop and losing the use of my fog lights.

What did your OEM kit run?

Did you post the info?

Post 52 and 55...

Had my first issue with my coolbulbs 6000k's today. The passenger side didnt fire up in auto mode. Turned them off and on and it worked. I had the same problem on a past vehicle. Maybe I just have to turn them on/off manually all the time?

Just had to swap out a Cool Bulbs ballast.

The bad ballast kept blowing the fuse. After connecting the ballast to both fog lights and 2 blown fuses later. My shop replaced the cool bulbs ballast and the fog light fired up with no problem and is still working great.

That makes 4 bad ballasts from my coolbulbs order that was originally placed in December.

Bad Ballast:

86504ED1-A31F-46FC-A0B6-118F3953B5F4.jpg

I have 4 of these ballast for my fogs and headlights. Hope I am not doomed for failures....

Just figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.

I've had the coolbulbs HID headlights installed pretty much since I purchased the vehicle back in Oct of last year. Haven't had 1 mis fire or no fire or any problems to speak of at all (knock on wood).

I purchased what looked to be a similar kit for a previous car (97 Grand Prix GTP) from some Ebay seller years and years ago - at first all was great. Then randomly one or both lights would drop out every once and a while. To shorten a long story up, it ended up being a voltage issue. I never actually traced down the cause BUT I found that every once and a while voltage to the ballasts would drop down to 8-10 volts or so. I can only assume the system wasn't happy with that and that's when lights would go out. I had a meter that would log over 120 min or so so it was fairly easy to see. What was odd is that voltage to the rest of my cars systems (specifically amplifiers for a pretty significant audio system would stay right around 12-13v over same period @ same time. I never spent a ton of time trying to figure out where there was voltage drop in the lighting system - I ended up selling those hids to some guy on another forum (with full disclosure of issues I was having :) ) and funny enough, the units were perfect for him. So at the end of the day, there was something on MY particular car screwing up the power delivery to those HIDS. I never got a chance to check out another kit..damn thing caught on fire 1 day and that was the end of that ;)

So for whatever it is worth, maybe that could be somthing similar here. Perhaps some kits are more resiliant to voltage problems than others and thats why 1 kit works one same car another kit does not work reliably on. Hard to tell.

I have had my Diode Dynamics CANBUS Hylux 4300K kit installed in my 2014 Sport for a month now, no issues at all.

Auto lamps work fine.

DRL work fine.

$179 for the set?

Sorry just saw your question, yes the set.

2 bulbs
2 HYLUX Premium CANBUS Ballasts
2 DRL modules
1 Relay with direct connection to battery

You can go cheaper on the ballasts but I wanted the CANBUS version.

Just to add my experience, I've been using a ddmtuning 55w slim ballast kit, with their relay harness, and a retro solutions delay relay for over a year. I have ~50k miles on the kit, mostly nighttime driving w/ no issues. Total for kit + harness + delay relay is about 65$ shipped.

I have the TRS kit as well. Having problems with the passenger side firing consistently.

Going to go with the AMP: OEM kit from TRS to see if this helps.

I have the TRS kit as well. Having problems with the passenger side firing consistently.

Going to go with the AMP: OEM kit from TRS to see if this helps.

It will. I'm just too damn cheap to upgrade.

I wonder if they would give me a credit for the old ones to upgrade since I have had so many issues and none of my original kit remains after they have replaced the individual parts multiple times.

Just over a month and the cool bulbs kit has been flawless since changing out the faulty ballast.

Yep. Andrew had to send me two new ballast, but they have been working perfect ever since. Coolbulbs is great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got new ballast of well. They've been fine ever since.

Back